• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    Sorry if this doesn’t belong here. Wasn’t really sure where to put it.

I was thinking of starting a collection. I really am fascinated by WWI pistols. The massive leap in technology made is just astonishing. I know this collecting them won’t be cheap, but it’s not going to be $1000+ for every pistol... or will it?

I looked on gun broker and it’s kinda hit and miss on info

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I do think it is an under rated area of interest. Part of the challenge would be to tease out which ones were WWI pistols and not also WWII as so many were put to service for WWII even if outdated.

I have a Dreyse .32 that is super neat! Bought it just for that reason. Excellent example if you do opt to start a collection. Please PM me if interested.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    There are plenty of WWI military pistols that can be had reasonably. The cheapest of the bunch will probably be any of the dozens (literally) of makers of the Spanish “Ruby” purchased by the French military. $300 would probably get you a nice one if you do some looking, as they are plentiful. German Imperial marked Dreyse 1907s and Mauser 1914s can be had for under $500 typically. Imperial Sauer 1913s will also be under $1k.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Sorry if this doesn’t belong here. Wasn’t really sure where to put it.

I was thinking of starting a collection. I really am fascinated by WWI pistols. The massive leap in technology made is just astonishing. I know this collecting them won’t be cheap, but it’s not going to be $1000+ for every pistol... or will it?

I looked on gun broker and it’s kinda hit and miss on info

I have a Colt M1911 I might be willing to get rid of......

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    The French / Spanish Ruby pistols are (relatively) cheap. They were made for quick production and the rumor is that some were made with "pot metal". You can sometimes find them at gun shows for less than $300. I wouldn't buy one without looking at it though. I've seen trash ones on gunbroker selling for $600.

Jul 1, 2012
    WWI "era" or WWI military pistols?
    In addition to the above there are tons of interesting 1910-1920 pistols, some from earlier that were used in the war (Savage 1907, Colt 1903, Colt revolvers of various ilk, etc etc) that were also commercially available, and others that weren't really military but are pretty cool. Plus your C96 Broomhandle, Lugers, Webley, Nagants, etc. Typically anything that's popular to collectors will cost more... not many people aggressively collect Ruby pistols for instance, but of course at the other end Luger is very popular (and often boosted / faked / restored).

Anyway, buy books and study reference materials diligently (can't stress enough how important this is), get an FFL-03, start off small and the collection will evolve as you go!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Nagant pistol.

They run all the way from Czar Nicholas thru WWII.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I saw some webleys weren’t that expensive. I think I’ll start with doing more research since I’ve never heard of the ruby. I have a lot of reading to do haha.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I saw some webleys weren’t that expensive. I think I’ll start with doing more research since I’ve never heard of the ruby. I have a lot of reading to do haha.

Be careful with Webley's, love em and a favorite and certainly a signature WWI gun in large frame but there are some things to be aware of. Most of the Mk Vs and VIs which would have typically been WWI or around the time period are shaved for .45 which can be dangerous with full power loads. Unshaved guns typically go for around $900 to $1500 depending on what it is etc. Even the shaved guns can run $900 these days, best bargain I ever got was one for $150 back in 2012 from Joe at Corsica (since moved to Idaho). Guns in the Mk 1 through IV series are not rated for smokeless powder, so keep that in mind but they should be ok with reduced or mild loads. Shooting one is an experience as they are so deeply subsonic it feels like throwing rocks and you can almost watch them bounce. Tons of fun. Ammo isnt cheap but still fairly available.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I used to have a Nagant. My late father-in-law who was a Marine in the Pacific brought it home at the end of WWII when his final duty was with the 6th Marines accepting the Japanese surrender in Shanghai. Funny thing is it had Cyrillic script on it and a lanyard ring. One of the Russian ex-patriots at a gun show a couple of decades ago said the language was Bulgarian. Not sure how it got all the way to China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom