• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silent Stalker

Shooter
    Feb 11, 2010
    Maryland
    I've been wondering if it is legal to own an MP5 in Maryland. I have found all the parts and receiver. However information pertaining to whether or not it is legal to own one I cannot find. Any help would be appreciated. The laws are stringent but not well defined in my eyes. Plus I am still use to Alabama laws. Plus missing having my carry in the small of my back. lol

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    It is legal to own pre- 86 MP5's in MD
    They are now going around 16-24K, plus all the NFA paperwork/ stamps

Contact one of the Class 3 / dealers in the forum and they should guide you through the muck of class 3 ownership.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    You basically want to build an SP-89 with is on the banned list. You would have to build it as an SBR or as an AOW.

So yes, you could build one, but it would be considered an assault pistol without the stock on it or without a foregrip making it an SBR/AOW.

Mark

The weapon below is BANNED.

Attachments

• sp89.gif
      sp89.gif
      31.7 KB · Views: 3,386

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    This is NOT BANNED. It is considerably more expensive, but you could build a semi-auto version of it provided you file for the tax stamp as an AOW.

Mark

Attachments

• mp5k.jpg
      mp5k.jpg
      17 KB · Views: 3,614

Silent Stalker

Shooter
    Feb 11, 2010
    Maryland
    explanation

could you please explain the term SBR and AOW. Also thankyou for all the replies so quickly. It is also nice to discuss such an issue without all the childish responses for a change. This is a nice forum.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    SBR - short barreled rifle. a rifle having a barrel length of less than 16 inches.

AOW - any other weapon. this is kind of a catch-all category for things like pistols with foregrips or smooth bores (could be wrong about the smoothbore)

Are you building an MP5 with a stock, or an MP5K like the one markp posted above? If it's an MP5 with a stock then it'll be an SBR unless you have the long nose HK94 type version (which is pretty ugly). If it's an MP5K, then it'll be an AOW because it's a pistol with a foregrip. The other picture markp put up is an SP89, which was the civilian version of the MP5K and is banned in MD as an "assault pistol."

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    AOW & SBR are terms used for firearms classified by the Feds that fall under the National Firearms Act of '34. (NFA) Silencers or sound suppressors, full auto firearms and destructive devices also fall under the NFA rules.

There are some additional forms to fill out and for a SBR, a $200 Federal tax to pay. AOW's pay $5. This site has a NFA sub forum, lots of info to digest if you have never investigated that type of firearm. Buying a NFA gun is a little more complicated since forms have to be filled and a tax paid, then you wait for the Fed's to approve it and return the documents before you can pick the gun up.

Welcome to MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom