• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    You know, that is a heckuva endorsement.
    Says it all in 6 words.

Not sure where the OP stands but I would think in terms of cost/value. A JM is a fine gun, its a great range shooter but with values climbing fast they are becoming more safe queens. If you want a user/field gun is a Remline good enough?

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I bought a new 1894 cb 357 a few weeks ago. Haven't had it to the range yet but I'm happy with the fit and finish. The sights were straight, replaced them with Skinner's though. Wood looks real nice, forend is slim, I think all octagon barrel guns are like that. I hope to get it to the range to sight it in after work this week.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Not sure where the OP stands but I would think in terms of cost/value. A JM is a fine gun, its a great range shooter but with values climbing fast they are becoming more safe queens. If you want a user/field gun is a Remline good enough?

Good point. I was not specific enough.

I would like to add a solid,
    well-built fun shooter that is cheap to feed,
    and would not be intended to be yet another
    safe queen, AND, that a good “feel”, is
    versatile, uses a commonly found cartridge that matches up to a wheel gun...and that
    has some cache’. I like Marlin lever guns, and the JM 30-30 in my rack is my favorite-ever
    marriage of iron and wood.

Seems to me that the pre-‘82 JM’s are
    holding or increasing their value. Comparing
    a really nice one to a NIB Remlin, it looks
    like very roughly $1K for the older bullet launcher, while a new version kicks in at
    about $700.

Guess I prefer the JM, offhand. But, I
    don’t want to discount the new rifles IF
    they have been brought up to snuff.

Hey, here’s a different take - a SHTF angle. Which is the one you’d prefer to have tucked away if the lights went out? That precludes
    any discussion of AK vs AR, shotgun vs rifle,
    etc. Strictly pre-safety JM vs NIB Remlin 357?

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    I bought a new 1894 cb 357 a few weeks ago. Haven't had it to the range yet but I'm happy with the fit and finish. The sights were straight, replaced them with Skinner's though. Wood looks real nice, forend is slim, I think all octagon barrel guns are like that. I hope to get it to the range to sight it in after work this week.

Eager to hear your review!
    Very best of luck with it!!!!

Last edited:

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I have a 2016 1895 that i bought lightly used, it works fine. It is a little rougher to cycle then my JMs, but this is the only one that I have that is younger than me. I think it just needs a few months in the woods and a few 1000rds to smooth it out. 100% confidence it will make it to my toddlers safe in 60 years.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Good point. I was not specific enough.

I would like to add a solid,
    well-built fun shooter that is cheap to feed,
    and would not be intended to be yet another
    safe queen, AND, that a good “feel”, is
    versatile, uses a commonly found cartridge that matches up to a wheel gun...and that
    has some cache’. I like Marlin lever guns, and the JM 30-30 in my rack is my favorite-ever
    marriage of iron and wood.

Seems to me that the pre-‘82 JM’s are
    holding or increasing their value. Comparing
    a really nice one to a NIB Remlin, it looks
    like very roughly $1K for the older bullet launcher, while a new version kicks in at
    about $700.

Guess I prefer the JM, offhand. But, I
    don’t want to discount the new rifles IF
    they have been brought up to snuff.

Hey, here’s a different take - a SHTF angle. Which is the one you’d prefer to have tucked away if the lights went out? That precludes
    any discussion of AK vs AR, shotgun vs rifle,
    etc. Strictly pre-safety JM vs NIB Remlin 357?

That's the tough part. I have 7 marlins. 3 are JM (1894P, 1895, 336 .35) the other three are Remlin. The 1895 is a piece of art, the 336 .35 well finished but user grade, the P is incomparable for a variety of reasons. My post Marlins including an 1894 .44 and .45 and my 336Y are good field grade guns, no major issues in function or fit though design isn't as clean. The 336Y which is the earliest is slightly out of whack on sights, nothing that cant be adjusted for and its a very handy gun for camp/traveling. The .44 and .45 seem ok, though the .45 is much smoother.

End of the day where Remlin stands if I had a gun at a fair price and I proved it out on the range with enough rounds I wouldn't hesitate for a field gun, cowboy action or home defense. Lever guns actually are one of my favorite traveling and HD guns as they are less likely to get the ire and attention of a semi and I am nearly (if not more) deadly with them just because of my level of practice.

signature

Jan 16, 2013
    Talked with a gunsmith at the show. He had an old marlin lever gun with a straight stock. Looked like a Winchester. Our conversation revolved around quality of both through the years. Long story short, he praised the quality of the Newer lever Marlins from the past few years. Said they invested millions in machining upgrades and are putting out very nice guns.

Javo-J10

Dec 26, 2016
    Hanover, PA
    I purchased a 1894 in 44mag with Hogsniper’s deal as well a year or so ago. Put Skinner sights on and a lace-up leather recoil pad from Buffalo Arms. It won’t win any beauty contests, but it is fun to shoot. If I had to complain about something, I’d say the loading gate is stiff. But not so bad that I’ve done anything about it.

Last edited:

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a newer Remlin 1895 and it does not have any issues. Shoots fine and the fit and finish are decent. It does not compare in quality to my pre safety 1894, but it’s not all screwed up like they were in 2010 either. Just a basic rifle with basic wood and fitting.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I purchased a 1894 in 44mag with Hogsniper’s deal as well a year or so ago. Put Skinner sights on and a lace-up leather recoil pad from Buffalo Arms. It won’t win any beauty contests, but it is fun to shoot. If I had to complain about something, I’d say the loading gate is stiff. But not so bad that I’ve done anything about it.

Ya I bought the .45 and .44 during his promotion. The .45 is smooth and feeds easy. The .44 is a little rough and the loading gate on mine is also stiff. Havent taken it down to smooth things up yet.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I picked up an 1895 Guide Gun from Gary (Hog Sniper) during the sale. It is an April 2016 build and the quality is right on par with my JM 30-30. If I had to find one thing it would be the contour of the forend were it meets the receiver. On the JM it is rounded in to the receiver and on the Remlin it contoured round then cut straight so it does not have that smooth feel.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I picked up an 1895 Guide Gun from Gary (Hog Sniper) during the sale. It is an April 2016 build and the quality is right on par with my JM 30-30. If I had to find one thing it would be the contour of the forend were it meets the receiver. On the JM it is rounded in to the receiver and on the Remlin it contoured round then cut straight so it does not have that smooth feel.

That's the small stuff that adds up. My 1895 JM is a piece of art, nice finish, great wood...……..hate shooting it but that's what it was made for.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Do we know why Gary is no longer on MDS, or if he is still in business and offering these awesome sales?

I heard he is still around but just has been busy. He is a small basically custom order ship but always has great customer service. You may want to give him a call/email.

Address: 604 Frederick Street, STE 3, Hanover, PA 17331
    NOTE: It is a corner building and my door is on the Westminster Road side.

Phone Number: (717)-479-6494
    Email: highrockguns@gmail.com or gruby62@hotmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom