A Bear Is Hanging Around In Deep Creek...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I'll be more specific: A bear is hanging around "our development called The Gleanings" in the Deep Creek area... so I've been told by Mrs. J and other reliable sources.

I haven't actually seen said bear. I'm told he's trolling, has been spotted several times and there have been a couple of close encounters where he has growled at residents as recently as today at our neighbor directly across the street. Ohhhh-Kayyy ---that gets my attention...

Bears are not something new in Deep Creek. They live here. But a trolling bear in the area freaks out Mrs. J - especially with grand kids coming up tomorrow for a week and dealing with five hounds we need to protect.

Relenting to Mrs. J's insistence, I moved all the garbage cans into the garage. For self defense I strategically placed a Dan Wesson 44 mag with five SD hollow point rounds ready to go if needed. We both know how to use it - duh - we're Hooligans... The DW is in a place no children could reach...

I don't plan on shooting a bear. Not something that sounds like a good time to me. But if it came down to protecting my family and hounds, I wouldn't hesitate. Not sure what the Marylandistan consequences would be, but my family's safety always comes first.

Thoughts? Input? Advice?

:shrug:

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Maybe get some bear spray in case it’s just poking around and you want to give it a non lethal message.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Use some of that white hooligan smoke you boys store up for Sunday mornings! Maybe the boom will scare him off.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Sounds like you made real smart move with those cans!

Just my opinion, and I'm a wheel gun guy who loves big bores, and appreciates their capabilities. But if I seriously thought I might have need, and if realities with kids and such allow, I'd have a good shotgun chock full of slugs or a rifle nearby, if it were me.

Good Luck, and let's hope Mr. Bruin decides to behave himself and amble along.

cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    You've done one of the best things already moved your cans. When we've had bear hanging around they've been looking for an easy meal.I hope your neighbors are on board and have secured their trash also. Personally I don't trust bears one bit they are big,bad and fast.when I see them around my place I get my 12 gauge out.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I would call DNR and have a large bore gun available. 12 gauge slug if nothing else available.

I normally wouldn't worry about black bears, but any growling or snapping should not be tolerated and tell DNR to fix it, or "someone" might and its SSS time. Black bears are supposed to run, not growl and confront. Someone is going to get hurt at best if left alone.

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    I live smack dab on top of Savage Mountain and we're actually almost completely surround by Savage River state Forest. Bears are no big deal up here, ( I've seen 2 different ones this week so far) I can tell you that bears do not like dogs at all.
    Before we got our outside farm dogs when I first built my house up here, we had bears on our porch, on our car , even inside our car beeping the horn at 2am ! Once we got the dogs they were totally gone from around the house. Occasionally our dogs will have one tree'd but usually they will steer clear of any household that has dogs. So, I think your dogs will be fine, Now I know there are always exceptions to this, and I'm sure someone will point out that their dog wasn't so lucky in a bear encounter, but as a general rule they should be fine. Now coyotes??? different story..

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Your caliber is fine for black bear, but replace the hollow points with solid lead bullets. If a bear attacks you, you will not make it bleed out in time to stop it's attack, and a wounded bear is the most dangerous animal you can encounter in North America. You aren't going to make a wound channel sufficient to cause that much bleeding through the thick fur, skin, and fat, and then the fur will act as a natural bandage to stop the bleeding after the shot. To stop a bear attack you need to use solid lead bullets, flat nose hard cast are the best. You need deep penetration to either break bone or reach and destroy the central nervous system. I don't think hollow points, even from a 44 mag, will penetrate the skull of a black bear and won't penetrate deeply enough to reach the heart. The best shot placement is to make an 'X' between the eyes and ears and aim for that center point to hit the brain. If the bear is charging or mauling that may not be possible, so the second best shot placement is in a front shoulder. With a solid bullet you can break the shoulder and/or leg and prevent the bear from being physically able to attack. Don't try center of mass. You may kill the bear, but even with a good lung shot he will still maul you before succumbing to the wound.

Having said all that, making noise is your best option, followed by bear spray. Bear spray has been proven to be more effective than firearms in preventing bear attacks. Shooting is only a last resort. Like ktm said, bear hate dogs. I've seen a scruffy little terrier chase away a black bear before.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    A friend is trying to identify this hummingbird, any ideas?

Attachments

• hummingbird.jpg
      hummingbird.jpg
      38.4 KB · Views: 321

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Humming Bear problem

I will defer to those wiser that I, but after considerable research I offer the following:

Handgun: 45 long colt using Buffalo Bore 405 solids as a minimum. Only use this load in Rugers and other heavy built revolvers. DO NOT use this round in Taurus Judges according to Taurus. Obviously 44 mag and > is also good providing one uses solids v/s hollow points. I retired a 357 mag for bear defense using Buffalo bore solids after my experience recounted below.

Shotguns:

Any solid 3"+ slug/12 gauge for medium range. I'd use slugs v/s Sabots since you loose energy using Sabots due to the smaller slug.

Riffles:

You mileage may vary but a 7mm mag blowing thru both shoulders at 45 yards and a right to left front shot that only served to pierrette the bear, and a perfectly placed 180 gn 300 Win mag shot placed broadside just aft of the right shoulder at the same range did not drop a 2.5 year old 500 lb. bear in his tracks. He was dead but did not know it. He bellowed like I have never heard before while attempting to crawl back up a mountain in WMD. A 300 Win Mag to the base of his skull finally planted him. Next time, I'm using a 45/70 w/ Buffalo bore solids.

Black Bears hides are tough! That ELX 300 Win mag was recovered against the left clavicle and did not go thru the bear at 45 yards! Think sharkskin over 2 layers of hairy denim and you have bear hide v/s a t-shirt for deer hide. Best have a sharpening stone to skin the beast because you will have to re-sharpen after every 2-4 linear ft of skin.

Finally, if you do the black powder deer season in WMD, you might want to consider carrying an old Colt BP revolver that is not only legal, but could come in handy for a followup shot in addition to bear insurance.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I live smack dab on top of Savage Mountain and we're actually almost completely surround by Savage River state Forest. Bears are no big deal up here, ( I've seen 2 different ones this week so far) I can tell you that bears do not like dogs at all.
    Before we got our outside farm dogs when I first built my house up here, we had bears on our porch, on our car , even inside our car beeping the horn at 2am ! Once we got the dogs they were totally gone from around the house. Occasionally our dogs will have one tree'd but usually they will steer clear of any household that has dogs. So, I think your dogs will be fine, Now I know there are always exceptions to this, and I'm sure someone will point out that their dog wasn't so lucky in a bear encounter, but as a general rule they should be fine. Now coyotes??? different story..

We also see bears on the regular at least once a month. I'm surprised the OP is allowed to put trash outside for pickup - we're certainly not. Last October, we had two break-ins at the station. Cars were ransacked but nothing was missing. Took a look at the surveillance video and guess who the culprits were! Turns out, one of the guys left some fast food wrappers in his truck! :lol:

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD

That's savage dude. You live on Savage Mountain, surrounded by Savage River. I bet your parties are savage.

:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom