• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Loader

Jan 5, 2013
    Fellow 2A Supporters,

I intend to introduce legislation in Carroll County to nullify Federal and State laws that impinge on our Second Amendment Protections as afforded in the Constitution.

If I proceed forward, I will need a packed hearing room in support of this effort, as it will likely be treated with skepticism by some officials.

If this passes, it will be the FIRST ever in the State of Maryland.

QUESTION:

If I proceed, how many of you can take off in either the late morning (10 to 11AM) or mid afternoon (2-3 or 3-4 PM) to testify?

I need at least 40 people.

Please advise

Commissioner Richard Rothschild
    UNWAVERING CONSERVATIVE LEADERSHIP

I will make every effort to be there.

ineoin

Feb 25, 2013
    Succeed, Why Not?

How about this for a thought. I recently saw a red/blue map of maryland and it looked like 3 different states. Carroll and west all red. Baltimore county and south red/blue. Harford and east down to the eastern shore red. It looked like three diffeent states to me. How about we get a movement of the counties Carroll and west to succeed from Maryland. Let Miller, Bush and O'Malley have the state they want and we all get along with our lives and let them run what is left of Maryland into the ground. When the Feds can no longer support the bloated government they want from DC, let them eat the crumbs. Nullification not necessary, we let them have they cake and eat it.

Anyone in western MD think they need Annapolis to let them take advantage of the shale gas reserves that WVA and PA will pull from under them. Let me know Why?

Succeed, why not. I was thinking the same thing. It looks like three states. The Eastern Shore has spoken of this in the past. I think it's time we look at this as well! Well said!

Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    Long time Carroll County resident here - count me in - name the time and place and I will be there. Have two more friends that will come as well.

AGCLVP

Jan 27, 2009
    Not to rain on anyone's parade:

The County can’t nullify the state legislation. Maryland law provides that:

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the State preempts the right of a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district to regulate the purchase, sale, taxation, transfer, manufacture, repair, ownership, possession, and transportation of:

(1) a handgun, rifle, or shotgun; and

(2) ammunition for and components of a handgun, rifle, or shotgun.

Exceptions

(b)(1) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may regulate the purchase, sale, transfer, ownership, possession, and transportation of the items listed in subsection (a) of this section:

(i) with respect to minors;

(ii) with respect to law enforcement officials of the subdivision; and

(iii) except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, within 100 yards of or in a park, church, school, public building, and other place of public assembly.

Md. Code Ann., Crim. Law § 4-209 (2010). The county has no authority to regulate the ownership of guns unless one of the exceptions in subsection (b) apply, which is not the case here. Thus, any nullification ordinances would be meaningless.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Not to rain on anyone's parade:

The County can’t nullify the state legislation. Maryland law provides that:

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the State preempts the right of a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district to regulate the purchase, sale, taxation, transfer, manufacture, repair, ownership, possession, and transportation of:

(1) a handgun, rifle, or shotgun; and

(2) ammunition for and components of a handgun, rifle, or shotgun.

Exceptions

(b)(1) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may regulate the purchase, sale, transfer, ownership, possession, and transportation of the items listed in subsection (a) of this section:

(i) with respect to minors;

(ii) with respect to law enforcement officials of the subdivision; and

(iii) except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, within 100 yards of or in a park, church, school, public building, and other place of public assembly.

Md. Code Ann., Crim. Law § 4-209 (2010). The county has no authority to regulate the ownership of guns unless one of the exceptions in subsection (b) apply, which is not the case here. Thus, any nullification ordinances would be meaningless.

Yes, but the proposed nullification will prohibit the use of county resources to enforce the law. In other words, only the MSP can enforce the law for 281-type matters. Sounds decent to me given the hand we've been dealt.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Yes, but the proposed nullification will prohibit the use of county resources to enforce the law. In other words, only the MSP can enforce the law for 281-type matters. Sounds decent to me given the hand we've been dealt.

Exactly. But let's see who gets elected Sheriff before we get too excited.:o

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    I was wondering if you had a chance to look at Cato institute work on this. I am not optimistic that the court will uphold, they are making the claim that the supremacy clause only holds if the law is constitutional. It's slim and if the court later upheld the law in question it would be moot.

Not claiming Cato is right, just curious if there is anything at all to this notion..

I am dubious that enough support exists to actually get a hearing with concurrence of the Chair and CoChair. But maybe.

Void for Vagueness is an argument in drafting anything serious. What laws and statutes are in violation of the 2nd? Carry permits? regulated firearms? Waiting periods? Registration of machine guns? Inability to obtain artillery and mortars?
    Given the overwhelming legislative and grassroots support for restricting firearms in Md, I have a tough time seeing any traction, but for purposes of public debate, why not.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    It’s like Carroll County is calling my name. I just got a job in Owings Mills and have been contemplating moving to Carroll. Anyone know of nice places to live that I should check out by Reisterstown?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Honestly, every place in Carroll County is nice. In the actual city of Westminster there as a couple "bad" apartment complexes, but they are far and few between.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    It’s like Carroll County is calling my name. I just got a job in Owings Mills and have been contemplating moving to Carroll. Anyone know of nice places to live that I should check out by Reisterstown?

Move to Pa. Just look carefully at their overall tax rates. Some areas are higher than others. Make sure you are looking at ALL the little taxes - school, occupation, trash pick up, etc.. Even if it costs you a few extra dollars it would be well worth it for having less BS and politics to deal with.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Exactly. But let's see who gets elected Sheriff before we get too excited.:o

Hopefully Jim Dewees -- he is vocally pro-gun, and I mean like Sheriff Chuck Jenkins vocal.

The other two in the running are also pro-gun, but I like Dewees the best, so I'm backing him.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Move to Pa. Just look carefully at their overall tax rates. Some areas are higher than others. Make sure you are looking at ALL the little taxes - school, occupation, trash pick up, etc.. Even if it costs you a few extra dollars it would be well worth it for having less BS and politics to deal with.

I'd rather not have to drive 45+ minutes every day to get to work. Even the soon to pass laws aren't enough to make me want to move back to PA, yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom