• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    The sad part about this truth, this maybe (I SAID MAYBE, not is) why other states do not have any problems. Because for the most part, I bet many people in all shall issues states don't bother to carry. They are just happy then can if and when they want to.

Assuming Woollard eventually prevails and you get your permit, I think you will find it much more difficult to carry than you first imagine.

For many years Virginia prohibited concealed carrying in any establishment that had a liquor license for on premises consumption. That meant basically that you couldn't carry in just about every restaurant except for fast food joints and IHOP. No carrying in places Chipotle, COSI or Fuddruckers.

It took VCDL thirteen years, but they finally got that repealed. However, I think you can expect the Maryland General Assembly to pass a similar law.

However, I suggest everyone find the employee handbook they were issued and read it again. Most large companies have a no weapons policy.

My company has operations in Virginia, Maryland and D.C. So I can easily find myself unexpectingly having to go into an area where just possession of a firearm is a felony.

Want to take your kids to soccer practice? Sorry, no carrying if the field is part of school property.

If you haven't done so yet, check to see if your bank has a no guns sign at the door.

Don't forget, you can't carry in a Post Office or anywhere on Post Office property.

When you finally get your permit, you'll find that the places you can carry are a lot more restricted than you think.

I think most malls will put up no guns signs as soon as shall issue becomes law of the land.

Now you may be thinking that you'll just secure your handgun in the car when you are at these places, but what if you aren't driving your car. Even if you are, what if you are parking on school property. You can't carry there.

Are you just planning on stepping out of your car and removing you firearm, securing it in some type of box in your car? Now you might be able to get away with that in some parts of Virginia. But in Maryland, if anyone sees you do this, I think you can expect to be arrested and have your permit revoked for brandishing.

Believe me when I say this. You do not want to be fumbling around with your handgun inside a vehicle. There is simply not enough room in any passenger automobile, pick-up or SUV to safely handle a firearm. A few years ago a father of four tried doing this in Virginia. He shot himself and ended up bleeding to death right in front of his four children and his wife.

Oh, by the way, every gun show in Virginia prohibits loaded firearms in the show. I'm sure you can expect the same in Maryland.

Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    I got an email from the Trooper that did my interview. He said my application was returned to him for some further investigation, specifically concerning my crazy ex girlfriend who served me with an exparte order 10 years ago. He wants to talk to her and see the documents from the court. I was up front and honest about all of this in my application.

First, I have NO clue where my ex girlfriend is or how to get in touch with her. (I have had no desire to contact her EVER)

Second, the reason she served me with the exparte order was because I left the relationship. Just prior to my departure from the relationship, she was charged with 2 counts of "filing a false police report" when she said she was attacked by a random black man outside of her work. (she beat herself up...literally) It was the reason I left her. I have those documents as well.

The protective order was only effective for 1 year from 12/10/2002 and there was no finding of fault for either party. I will be submitting copies of the order and the charging documents tomorrow, but is there anything else I should do? I have emailed Delegate Mike and I will email MSI as well.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I got an email from the Trooper that did my interview. He said my application was returned to him for some further investigation, specifically concerning my crazy ex girlfriend who served me with an exparte order 10 years ago. He wants to talk to her and see the documents from the court. I was up front and honest about all of this in my application.

First, I have NO clue where my ex girlfriend is or how to get in touch with her. (I have had no desire to contact her EVER)

Second, the reason she served me with the exparte order was because I left the relationship. Just prior to my departure from the relationship, she was charged with 2 counts of "filing a false police report" when she said she was attacked by a random black man outside of her work. (she beat herself up...literally) It was the reason I left her. I have those documents as well.

The protective order was only effective for 1 year from 12/10/2002 and there was no finding of fault for either party. I will be submitting copies of the order and the charging documents tomorrow, but is there anything else I should do? I have emailed Delegate Mike and I will email MSI as well.

Dude, I know more then once you said to yourself, "WHAT WAS I THINKING?"

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Assuming Woollard eventually prevails and you get your permit, I think you will find it much more difficult to carry than you first imagine.

For many years Virginia prohibited concealed carrying in any establishment that had a liquor license for on premises consumption. That meant basically that you couldn't carry in just about every restaurant except for fast food joints and IHOP. No carrying in places Chipotle, COSI or Fuddruckers.

It took VCDL thirteen years, but they finally got that repealed. However, I think you can expect the Maryland General Assembly to pass a similar law.

However, I suggest everyone find the employee handbook they were issued and read it again. Most large companies have a no weapons policy.

My company has operations in Virginia, Maryland and D.C. So I can easily find myself unexpectingly having to go into an area where just possession of a firearm is a felony.

Want to take your kids to soccer practice? Sorry, no carrying if the field is part of school property.

If you haven't done so yet, check to see if your bank has a no guns sign at the door.

Don't forget, you can't carry in a Post Office or anywhere on Post Office property.

When you finally get your permit, you'll find that the places you can carry are a lot more restricted than you think.

I think most malls will put up no guns signs as soon as shall issue becomes law of the land.

Now you may be thinking that you'll just secure your handgun in the car when you are at these places, but what if you aren't driving your car. Even if you are, what if you are parking on school property. You can't carry there.

Are you just planning on stepping out of your car and removing you firearm, securing it in some type of box in your car? Now you might be able to get away with that in some parts of Virginia. But in Maryland, if anyone sees you do this, I think you can expect to be arrested and have your permit revoked for brandishing.

Believe me when I say this. You do not want to be fumbling around with your handgun inside a vehicle. There is simply not enough room in any passenger automobile, pick-up or SUV to safely handle a firearm. A few years ago a father of four tried doing this in Virginia. He shot himself and ended up bleeding to death right in front of his four children and his wife.

Oh, by the way, every gun show in Virginia prohibits loaded firearms in the show. I'm sure you can expect the same in Maryland.

I bet all this is right on target. And most likely why my friends in PA don't hardly or never carry even though the have ccw. When your out and about you never know where you will be or go as things come up. After awhile it is just easier to leave it home I bet.

I do not think the banks at this time post no gun signs. After all what is the point of a business parson that has a ccw because they met G&S at this time if they can't walk into their bank carrying when making deposits.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    I didn't see myself on the spreedsheet, so here's my info:

Mailed app: March 8
    Interview with MSP: April 23
    One reference called: April 30
    Wife called: May 1

I'll post in the other thread also.

Last edited:

Dimes

Frugal King
    Feb 16, 2012
    PG County, MD
    Updated information:
    Mailed Application: March 8th.
    Received March 9th
    Check Cashed: March 14th
    References called: April 27th
    Received call yesterday for interview on May 11th,

Call was received by Trooper/Investigator Johnson. Interview will be at the Forestville Barracks. (Located in PG, MD)

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Lucky, at least you get to go to the barracks closest to you.

Yes, that helps. Seems like a really nice guy on the phone. Interview now set for Monday, 9:00 am March 14. And yes, he interviewed my ex. Bet that was interesting.....

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    Finally!!! I received a couple of calls from my friends telling me that an Officer from MSP called today to check my references. My one friend was on the phone answering questions for 20 Minutes! Any way, shortly after I Got The Call , and now I have a appointment for Thursday Morning. Wish Me Luck...:o

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Finally!!! I received a couple of calls from my friends telling me that an Officer from MSP called today to check my references. My one friend was on the phone answering questions for 20 Minutes! Any way, shortly after I Got The Call , and now I have a appointment for Thursday Morning. Wish Me Luck...:o

I wish you the best of luck and wish it was me. Good for you. When did the MSP receive your app?

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    I do not think the banks at this time post no gun signs. After all what is the point of a business parson that has a ccw because they met G&S at this time if they can't walk into their bank carrying when making deposits.

I feel pretty confident that if you look at the entrance of any BB&T branch you will see a "No Guns Sign".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom