Moving In from Kentucky/Thoughts on housing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Orion

May 30, 2018
    Greetings y'all and thanks for the great site.

We're moving in from Kentucky in a few months and just started househunting. It is a bit of sticker shock to see prices but the job' s going to be super and folks are great.

We're looking in Baltimore County (due to commute time) for something about +/- 1500ft2 with hopefully 3 or so acres, somewhereabouts in the area between Granite and west Towards Milford Mill, and north of Ellicott city (prayers out to all those there). If anyone's interested in a for-sale-by-owner please PM.

We've got some questions about bringing the firearms in; I've been reading the regs and I think we're okay with no large clips or anything from the list of regulated ARs or pistols but will put up some specific questions in a little bit.

Thanks again for the great site and the fellowship in all the posts.

Orion

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    welcome.

bring all the big "clips" you want. possession is legal - just can't sell, buy, give them away while in Maryland. you can go out-of-state, buy them there, then return to MD while they're in your possession.

Bolt and lever rifles - no problem.

IIRC, there's a couple streetsweeper shotguns on the banned list.

Handguns have to be registered within 90 days. lots of threads here.

AR pattern 223/556 with HBAR okay regardless of when purchased.

AR pattern 223/556 with non-HBAR okay only if purchased before 1-oct-2013. must be registered.

AR pattern any-other-caliber okay. no registration.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I was wondering why Granite.

Some nice out of the way properties around there, but stay away from Liberty Road.

How about Sykesville and west past Woodbine, up around Winfield? I think taxes are slightly better in Carroll, but southeast Carroll is deteriorating. County Council is sacrificing this part of Carroll County to bankroll the rest. "Downtown" Eldersburg has gotten very congested, but there's a lot of nice acreage west of Sykesville, as I mentioned.

You might find a nice couple of acres around Granite, too, but I would prefer Carroll to Baltimore or Howard County. Carroll is more conservative by far- perhaps the most conservative county in the whole state, (though southeast Carroll is the least conservative part.) Not sure if you'll be able to shoot a little bit on your own property, but it's much more likely in Carroll than Baltimore I think. Taxes are probably better in Carroll, too.

But Granite might give you a very slightly better commute, depending...

I assume you're exploring on Google Maps and Street View.

This area is very convenient to the best range in the area, the Associated Gun Clubs range at Marriottsville and Wards Chapel Roads. Did you know that already?

You might pick up a good deal on a place in downtown Ellicott City...

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Welcome to the site, stay out of Md.
    It's a beautiful state "America in minature " I remember hearing in grade school but the liberal politicians have ruined it.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'd personally visit the "Milford Mill" area before buying a house. Personally the area has too much violence for my family.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Stay out of MD, it sucks. Go to southern PA or VA and commute in while enjoying your freedom.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'd personally visit the "Milford Mill" area before buying a house. Personally the area has too much violence for my family.

Absolutely.
    I'd stay away from Milford Mill or Randallstown, or anywhere north of Windsor Mill Road (that's way too far east anyway!). Even Eldersburg proper is going downhill fast. OP seems to be looking for a small house on several acres, so not in a development or built up area. The Granite area is a rural pocket with obscure old roads, woods and such. Probably some actual farming, too. I think it's been preserved because there's no water or sewer, just well and septic.

Even if the OP finds a nice little rural property there, it's still dangerously close to the Urban Hell. He'd probably prefer shopping and services in Eldersburg, so why not look in Southern Carroll County, from Sykesville to Woodbine, and even the Outer Fringes of Eldersburg?

BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    I grew up on Milford Mill Rd. and worked in Randallstown until 1998.
    As others have said, go west young man. Southern Carroll County is still nice. If I had my druthers, start no closer than Winfield or in that area. Howard County is more expensive, and liberal.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 155

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    welcome.

bring all the big "clips" you want. possession is legal - just can't sell, buy, give them away while in Maryland. you can go out-of-state, buy them there, then return to MD while they're in your possession.

Bolt and lever rifles - no problem.

IIRC, there's a couple streetsweeper shotguns on the banned list.

Handguns have to be registered within 90 days. lots of threads here.

AR pattern 223/556 with HBAR okay regardless of when purchased.

AR pattern 223/556 with non-HBAR okay only if purchased before 1-oct-2013. must be registered.

AR pattern any-other-caliber okay. no registration.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This
    Welcome aboard

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    The income "increase" will likely be consumed quickly here. I have seen it many times, guys come here thinking $X is a lot of money but the house cost twice as much, they pay $1000's in property taxes rather than $100's, income tax, rain tax, septic tank tax, save the bay tax, cost of everything, etc while also giving up their freedoms. Just not worth it.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Absolutely.
    I'd stay away from Milford Mill or Randallstown, or anywhere north of Windsor Mill Road (that's way too far east anyway!). Even Eldersburg proper is going downhill fast. OP seems to be looking for a small house on several acres, so not in a development or built up area. The Granite area is a rural pocket with obscure old roads, woods and such. Probably some actual farming, too. I think it's been preserved because there's no water or sewer, just well and septic.

Even if the OP finds a nice little rural property there, it's still dangerously close to the Urban Hell. He'd probably prefer shopping and services in Eldersburg, so why not look in Southern Carroll County, from Sykesville to Woodbine, and even the Outer Fringes of Eldersburg?

If you absolutely have to move to MD i’d go to Woodbine. Its a pretty quiet and peaceful area. The further away from Baltimore, Reisterstown, and Randallstown you are the better off you are. Not really worth going to those areas. Granite is far too close to some not so great areas for my tastes. It is a decent pocket, but the surrounding areas further north aren’t too pleasent.

Give Eldersburg 20-30 years and i’m sure it’ll be just like Randallstown and Reisterstown, so I wouldn’t suggest living there. Its not a bad area right now though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom