• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Onceuponatime

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 19, 2018
    You ever post what you intend on using this shotgun for? Huge difference between using it for home defense, wing shooting, deer hunting, etc.

With that said, my preference would either be Benelli or Beretta. Which exact model would depend on the task at hand.

Sorry, I guess I didn't. An effective cross between wing hunts and home defense.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I laughed out loud.

Thanks! With your answer I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to recommend a cross between a home defense and a wing shooting shotgun.

I tend to buy guns specialized for their purpose so I would recommend what I have:
    • Home defense: None other than a Benelli M4, with a magazine extension, modified for 922r compliance.
    • Wing shooting: here we go again: Pheasant? Ducks? Goose?
      • I have a 12 Ga Browning Auto 5 with 2 barrels (rifled slug & smooth) and multiple chokes for the smooth barrel. This has served every shotgun hunting scenario I have encountered from small game to Goose.
      • But I've seen GREAT semi-auto shotguns by Beretta, Benelli and others for this that my Goose hunting friends have brought to the field and the Goose blind.
      • BTW, it's great to take the Auto 5 with both barrels to hunt deer in the morning, change barrels and hunt goose all afternoon with a 1 minute barrel change. Something to think about - a shotgun that can easily change barrels.
    I don't buy or own ANYTHING, other than ammo, made by Remington. That's just my personal bias.

EDIT: ya know, now that I think about it, if you're OK with buying a couple of barrels for an Auto 5 it could be set up for a home defense gun and a wing shooting gun. The Auto 5 with a short slug barrel would be a VERY effective home defense gun. You'd have to change barrels to go hunting but that takes all of 1 minute.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Once you add HD to an all-around shotgun, your really just compromising the other use of it. Very few offer cheap barrels to swap out,if any. Maybe the 11-87. That's the only way your gonna get a semi to do both.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Once you add HD to an all-around shotgun, your really just compromising the other use of it. Very few offer cheap barrels to swap out,if any. Maybe the 11-87. That's the only way your gonna get a semi to do both.

I got a Verney-Carron rifled barrel for my Auto 5 which I use for deer hunting when I'm also out for Goose. It's accurate enough to 100 yards. I think the barrel cost a few hundred which is a lot less than a whole new rifle. I also REALLY wouldn't want to be on the business end of that slug filled rifled barrel if I were an intruder.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've used my Saiga 12 for a little bit of everything.

Although you do get funny looks when shooting clays with it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I've used my Saiga 12 for a little bit of everything.

Although you do get funny looks when shooting clays with it.

Unless you have a 3 round mag for the Saiga or some way to reduce it to 3 rounds, hunting migratory birds with it will be illegal most of the time. Also, the lack of drop at comb on the Saiga would be somewhat problematic with wingshooting.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Cost is always a factor! Lol

Yes, cost is always a factor, but how is it going to factor in for you on this purchase? For me, when I go to buy a semi-auto shotgun I can tolerate anything up to $2,500. Once the $2,500 mark is hit, I actually need to start saving up for the purchase and really convincing my wife about it, like the DT-11 that I want.

So, how does cost factor into this for you?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

For me, if I had to use one shotgun for everything, I would probably go with a Benelli M2. It is offered in both the field model and the tactical model. Pretty sure that additional stocks and barrels can be purchased for it. Lucky for me, I was able to go with the M4 for self defense and the SBE for wing shooting, with some other shotguns for clays.

Whether the M2 is within the OP's cost parameters, he will have to decide.

The M2 has an adjustable stock so that drop at comb can be adjusted for wing shooting and it can be adjusted again for less drop at comb for home defense and quicker follow up shots.

Onceuponatime

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 19, 2018
    Yes, cost is always a factor, but how is it going to factor in for you on this purchase? For me, when I go to buy a semi-auto shotgun I can tolerate anything up to $2,500. Once the $2,500 mark is hit, I actually need to start saving up for the purchase and really convincing my wife about it, like the DT-11 that I want.

So, how does cost factor into this for you?

I'm not up that high, I'm wanting to stay under 1,500.

Onceuponatime

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 19, 2018
    Thanks! With your answer I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to recommend a cross between a home defense and a wing shooting shotgun.

I tend to buy guns specialized for their purpose so I would recommend what I have:
    • Home defense: None other than a Benelli M4, with a magazine extension, modified for 922r compliance.
    • Wing shooting: here we go again: Pheasant? Ducks? Goose?
      • I have a 12 Ga Browning Auto 5 with 2 barrels (rifled slug & smooth) and multiple chokes for the smooth barrel. This has served every shotgun hunting scenario I have encountered from small game to Goose.
      • But I've seen GREAT semi-auto shotguns by Beretta, Benelli and others for this that my Goose hunting friends have brought to the field and the Goose blind.
      • BTW, it's great to take the Auto 5 with both barrels to hunt deer in the morning, change barrels and hunt goose all afternoon with a 1 minute barrel change. Something to think about - a shotgun that can easily change barrels.
    I don't buy or own ANYTHING, other than ammo, made by Remington. That's just my personal bias.

EDIT: ya know, now that I think about it, if you're OK with buying a couple of barrels for an Auto 5 it could be set up for a home defense gun and a wing shooting gun. The Auto 5 with a short slug barrel would be a VERY effective home defense gun. You'd have to change barrels to go hunting but that takes all of 1 minute.

Thank you for the detail - duck mainly and maybe some goose. Home defense is really an after thought because I have other firearms for that too.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Unless you have a 3 round mag for the Saiga or some way to reduce it to 3 rounds, hunting migratory birds with it will be illegal most of the time. Also, the lack of drop at comb on the Saiga would be somewhat problematic with wingshooting.

5 round mag, load 3?

I've yet to use it for actual birds, it'll run low brass reliably, just haven't had any desire to go for birds.

I'll admit, it doesn't 'point' as naturally as my 50+ y.o. 16ga 870 Wingmaster, but I have done respectably when shooting hand-thrown clays with the Saiga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom