• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    my first complete build (assembly), 224 valk. rainier .875 adj gas block (believe it's superlative), their +2 gas barrel, jp lmos bolt and buffer, mega upper and lower. have a few hundred rounds thru it, zero issues, today 1/3 of the way thru a match, out of nowhere it would not cycle and i had to manually rack it to get the empty casings out. i didn't change anything. gas block screws still tight. the adj screw on the block has detents so that shouldn't have shifted. gas tube looks ok in the chamber. any ideas? thanks!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    my first complete build (assembly), 224 valk. rainier .875 adj gas block (believe it's superlative), their +2 gas barrel, jp lmos bolt and buffer, mega upper and lower. have a few hundred rounds thru it, zero issues, today 1/3 of the way thru a match, out of nowhere it would not cycle and i had to manually rack it to get the empty casings out. i didn't change anything. gas block screws still tight. the adj screw on the block has detents so that shouldn't have shifted. gas tube looks ok in the chamber. any ideas? thanks!

Check your action spring and buffer.
    Run a piece of weedwhacker line through the gas key to make sure no obstructions in the bolt carrier.
    Do the same(and measure it) through the gas tube all the way to the block. Chech your gas key on the carrier to make sure it is tight to the carrier. It could be a bunch of things.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Back home and will be checking all that today. Key is staked and not loose. Do gas blocks "go bad"? Guy who won the match helped me out Sat nite and got it ejecting but it crapped out again after 1st stage sunday.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Outrider is right on with his thinking...gas issue. It could also be the gas key or gas tube went out of spec....you would need gauges to check that. The gas block may have moved too....need to borescope it to see....get the gun checked.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    ran trimmer line all the way thru the tube (measured), no issues. ran trash tie thru gas key into bolt carrier, no issues. gas tube looks fine on bolt side, haven't removed it yet from the gas block (you can see i removed the pin). gas port in barrel looks fine, no burrs etc and trash tie went thru into barrel no issues. here are some crappy phone pics, does seem to be some carbon around the barrel gas port indicating perhaps some leakage, but again this thing worked fine for a couple hundred rounds after being built / assembled, then didn't, after toying around worked fine again for maybe 10-15 rounds, then didn't.

Attachments

• 20180723_104829_resized.jpg
      20180723_104829_resized.jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 130
    • 20180723_104842_resized.jpg
      20180723_104842_resized.jpg
      51.6 KB · Views: 162
    • 20180723_104910_resized.jpg
      20180723_104910_resized.jpg
      38.6 KB · Views: 155

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts