Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2018, 01:47 PM #2481
Occam Occam is offline
Recovering Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Montgomery County
Posts: 1,010
Occam Occam is offline
Recovering Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Montgomery County
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdougal08 View Post
Any insight or advice on how to fill out the g&s section for a side business?
The strategy there is going to revolve around the nature of the side business, the manner and frequency of your banking habits, the sort of exposure that conducting your business gives to ne'er-do-wells and risk to life and limb. So if you can throw us a bone in that area, you'll get far more constructive feedback. Meaning: a side business attending flea markets once a quarter is very different than a side business hauling around expensive tools and doing work for cash every weekend ... you get the idea.

Quote:
Any wording you'd include to pray for an unrestricted permit? Or are you pretty much stuck with having to jump through the review board hoops?
Especially since you're right out of the gate with this not being your primary source of income, just bag that part right away. They don't give those out to anybody (with very few exceptions, and those have FAR more compelling stories), so just prepare yourself for the restrictions as expected, and get in line for a hearing/review. You'll have plenty of time to think through your prep for your second round.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2018, 02:17 PM #2482
jdougal08's Avatar
jdougal08 jdougal08 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 169
jdougal08 jdougal08 is offline
Member
jdougal08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post
The strategy there is going to revolve around the nature of the side business, the manner and frequency of your banking habits, the sort of exposure that conducting your business gives to ne'er-do-wells and risk to life and limb. So if you can throw us a bone in that area, you'll get far more constructive feedback. Meaning: a side business attending flea markets once a quarter is very different than a side business hauling around expensive tools and doing work for cash every weekend ... you get the idea.



Especially since you're right out of the gate with this not being your primary source of income, just bag that part right away. They don't give those out to anybody (with very few exceptions, and those have FAR more compelling stories), so just prepare yourself for the restrictions as expected, and get in line for a hearing/review. You'll have plenty of time to think through your prep for your second round.
I do internet marketing/web design/etc. Meetings are at a wide variety of times and not always during "normal" business hours. I also manage social media accounts, so I also at times am at late night events etc. Payments are often check, but sometimes cash. It is not uncommon to leave my regular job and go to a meeting/event. Or at times even return back to my regular position.

I figured as much on the restrictions portion. Thanks
jdougal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 12:45 PM #2483
Gizmo98's Avatar
Gizmo98 Gizmo98 is offline
Free At Last!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central PA
Posts: 551
Gizmo98 Gizmo98 is offline
Free At Last!!
Gizmo98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central PA
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdougal08 View Post
I do internet marketing/web design/etc. Meetings are at a wide variety of times and not always during "normal" business hours. I also manage social media accounts, so I also at times am at late night events etc. Payments are often check, but sometimes cash. It is not uncommon to leave my regular job and go to a meeting/event. Or at times even return back to my regular position.

I figured as much on the restrictions portion. Thanks
Your restriction will read something like "while doing business as JDoug Super Web Design, Inc.". Based on what you describe, it will be hard to anyone to prove you're not doing business since you could be going to a client meeting at any time. This is exactly why restrictions are so stupid. You have to prove you're within your restrictions, but they don't define "doing business" anywhere. How is a rank-and-file cop supposed to know if you're legit at 10 pm?

I strongly recommend you watch this...


and this, which I believe is an earlier hearing at the same meeting...
Gizmo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 09:48 PM #2484
CypherPunk's Avatar
CypherPunk CypherPunk is offline
Opinions Are My Own
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,488
Images: 8
CypherPunk CypherPunk is offline
Opinions Are My Own
CypherPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,488
Images: 8
The purpose of restrictions is not to help the application or the LEO understand when one can “lawfully” carry under the current scheme.

The purpose is to create some much ambiguity and threat of arrest that one is afraid to exercise their right to self defense.

To that end, Gov. Hogan’s restrictions are very effective.
__________________
Notice: The opinions and views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any organization with which I may, or may not be affiliated.

2018 Frederick IWLA Training Schedule
Maryland Firearms Wiki & FAQ - Contribute!
CypherPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 11:41 AM #2485
CrueChief's Avatar
CrueChief CrueChief is online now
Cocker Dad
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Napolis-ish
Posts: 1,079
CrueChief CrueChief is online now
Cocker Dad
CrueChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Napolis-ish
Posts: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherPunk View Post
The purpose of restrictions is not to help the application or the LEO understand when one can “lawfully” carry under the current scheme.

The purpose is to create some much ambiguity and threat of arrest that one is afraid to exercise their right to self defense.

To that end, Gov. Hogan’s restrictions are very effective.
One has to wonder why he refuses to address this as it would go mostly unnoticed.
CrueChief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 12:08 PM #2486
Applehd's Avatar
Applehd Applehd is offline
Throbbing Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,677
Images: 1
Applehd Applehd is offline
Throbbing Member
Applehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,677
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueChief View Post
One has to wonder why he refuses to address this as it would go mostly unnoticed.
He needs to get re-elected first... and then... well... you know...




...more crickets...
__________________
Mom: "God is good..."
Harleys... Hotties... and Guns... If Heaven ain't got'em... I ain't goin'.
Applehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 03:49 PM #2487
fchan's Avatar
fchan fchan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4
fchan fchan is offline
Junior Member
fchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4
Just look up CJIS Approved Livescan Facilities, in MD, on the Web.
There is a LiveScan Facility in Ellicott City, MD (near the "old" courthouse):
FYI Fingerprints
3696 Park Avenure
Ellicott City, MD 21043

Phone: (410) 4184657
fchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2018, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service