Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Join MD Shooters

Old July 2nd, 2018, 01:47 PM #2481
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdougal08 View Post
Any insight or advice on how to fill out the g&s section for a side business?
The strategy there is going to revolve around the nature of the side business, the manner and frequency of your banking habits, the sort of exposure that conducting your business gives to ne'er-do-wells and risk to life and limb. So if you can throw us a bone in that area, you'll get far more constructive feedback. Meaning: a side business attending flea markets once a quarter is very different than a side business hauling around expensive tools and doing work for cash every weekend ... you get the idea.

Quote:
Any wording you'd include to pray for an unrestricted permit? Or are you pretty much stuck with having to jump through the review board hoops?
Especially since you're right out of the gate with this not being your primary source of income, just bag that part right away. They don't give those out to anybody (with very few exceptions, and those have FAR more compelling stories), so just prepare yourself for the restrictions as expected, and get in line for a hearing/review. You'll have plenty of time to think through your prep for your second round.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2018, 02:17 PM #2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post
The strategy there is going to revolve around the nature of the side business, the manner and frequency of your banking habits, the sort of exposure that conducting your business gives to ne'er-do-wells and risk to life and limb. So if you can throw us a bone in that area, you'll get far more constructive feedback. Meaning: a side business attending flea markets once a quarter is very different than a side business hauling around expensive tools and doing work for cash every weekend ... you get the idea.

Especially since you're right out of the gate with this not being your primary source of income, just bag that part right away. They don't give those out to anybody (with very few exceptions, and those have FAR more compelling stories), so just prepare yourself for the restrictions as expected, and get in line for a hearing/review. You'll have plenty of time to think through your prep for your second round.
I do internet marketing/web design/etc. Meetings are at a wide variety of times and not always during "normal" business hours. I also manage social media accounts, so I also at times am at late night events etc. Payments are often check, but sometimes cash. It is not uncommon to leave my regular job and go to a meeting/event. Or at times even return back to my regular position.

I figured as much on the restrictions portion. Thanks
jdougal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 12:45 PM #2483
Free At Last!!

Free At Last!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdougal08 View Post
I do internet marketing/web design/etc. Meetings are at a wide variety of times and not always during "normal" business hours. I also manage social media accounts, so I also at times am at late night events etc. Payments are often check, but sometimes cash. It is not uncommon to leave my regular job and go to a meeting/event. Or at times even return back to my regular position.

I figured as much on the restrictions portion. Thanks
Your restriction will read something like "while doing business as JDoug Super Web Design, Inc.". Based on what you describe, it will be hard to anyone to prove you're not doing business since you could be going to a client meeting at any time. This is exactly why restrictions are so stupid. You have to prove you're within your restrictions, but they don't define "doing business" anywhere. How is a rank-and-file cop supposed to know if you're legit at 10 pm?

I strongly recommend you watch this...

and this, which I believe is an earlier hearing at the same meeting...
Gizmo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 09:48 PM #2484
Opinions Are My Own

Opinions Are My Own

The purpose of restrictions is not to help the application or the LEO understand when one can “lawfully” carry under the current scheme.

The purpose is to create some much ambiguity and threat of arrest that one is afraid to exercise their right to self defense.

To that end, Gov. Hogan’s restrictions are very effective.

2018 Frederick IWLA Training Schedule
Maryland Firearms Wiki & FAQ - Contribute!
CypherPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 11:41 AM #2485
Cocker Dad

Cocker Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherPunk View Post
The purpose of restrictions is not to help the application or the LEO understand when one can “lawfully” carry under the current scheme.

The purpose is to create some much ambiguity and threat of arrest that one is afraid to exercise their right to self defense.

To that end, Gov. Hogan’s restrictions are very effective.
One has to wonder why he refuses to address this as it would go mostly unnoticed.
CrueChief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 12:08 PM #2486
Throbbing Member

Throbbing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueChief View Post
One has to wonder why he refuses to address this as it would go mostly unnoticed.
He needs to get re-elected first... and then... well... you know...

...more crickets...
Old July 11th, 2018, 03:49 PM #2487

Just look up CJIS Approved Livescan Facilities, in MD, on the Web.
There is a LiveScan Facility in Ellicott City, MD (near the "old" courthouse):
FYI Fingerprints
3696 Park Avenure
Ellicott City, MD 21043

Phone: (410) 4184657
fchan is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues