• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I’ve always loved Jeep CJ 7’s and 8’s since my childhood.

I’m in a position to get one and before I acquire one I am looking for a shop within 75 miles of Bethesda that could be my go to for maintenance and a few upgrades. Perhaps input on the buy...yes I do know that I should avoid one with structural rust issues (seen or unseen).

Will be getting a CJ8 due to family size; I’d like to put a 3rd row in and extend the roll cage back.

Any other Jeep CJ guys have input?

Any recommendations on a shop come to mind?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I’ve loved me some Jeeps in the day.

CJ-5. CJ-7. Old school Grand Wagoneer.

Take it from a guy who’s had a bunch of vehicles. Get the best, newest Toyota LandCruiser you can afford. When you said third row, it suggests family. If you’re a single guy, go ahead and Jeep it. Otherwise, get a Crusher.

I was really fond of Jeep, then I bought my first Crusher once I was a family guy. I’ll never forget getting t-boned at an intersection by a gal who ran a red light and hit us doing in excess of 45. They pretty much had to cut her out of her four door sedan. The cops asked who she hit. I said it was me... The cop couldn’t believe it. She impacted at the drivers door pillar and back. It sprung the passenger door about 3/4 inch and messed up the rocker panel pretty good. We drove away. My daughter was in the back seat. Not a bruise or broken bone.

Family=Land Cruiser. It will take you anywhere you need to go...safely and comfortably. The Jeep will scratch your macho itch. It did for me. The Crusher will surround you with comfort and safety...not to mention it will absorb the miles gracefully and never let you down.

FTR...I started Crusher love with a new 88. Then later a 2000. Now, my retirement gift to myself is my 1984.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I’ve loved me some Jeeps in the day.

CJ-5. CJ-7. Old school Grand Wagoneer.

Take it from a guy who’s had a bunch of vehicles. Get the best, newest Toyota LandCruiser you can afford. When you said third row, it suggests family. If you’re a single guy, go ahead and Jeep it. Otherwise, get a Crusher.

I was really fond of Jeep, then I bought my first Crusher once I was a family guy. I’ll never forget getting t-boned at an intersection by a gal who ran a red light and hit us doing in excess of 45. They pretty much had to cut her out of her four door sedan. The cops asked who she hit. I said it was me... The cop couldn’t believe it. She impacted at the drivers door pillar and back. It sprung the passenger door about 3/4 inch and messed up the rocker panel pretty good. We drove away. My daughter was in the back seat. Not a bruise or broken bone.

Family=Land Cruiser. It will take you anywhere you need to go...safely and comfortably. The Jeep will scratch your macho itch. It did for me. The Crusher will surround you with comfort and safety...not to mention it will absorb the miles gracefully and never let you down.

FTR...I started Crusher love with a new 88. Then later a 2000. Now, my retirement gift to myself is my 1984.

Agree on big safe vehicles! My wife has a Tahoe and I drive a Grand Cherokee Overland.

This would be for weekend sports and trips to pool / ice cream shop. Probably won’t see 40 mph or trail.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Hey brother.

I too am a CJ-8 guy.

I have a 81 that’s almost on the road. Needs a fuel tank and brake lines replaced.

And a 84 Alaskan CJ-8 Poastal (only 175 built) sitting under a tarp. Waiting to be worked on.

Just need the motivation to start working on them.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Hey brother.

I too am a CJ-8 guy.

I have a 81 that’s almost on the road. Needs a fuel tank and brake lines replaced.

And a 84 Alaskan CJ-8 Poastal (only 175 built) sitting under a tarp. Waiting to be worked on.

Just need the motivation to start working on them.

The postal ones are really amazing to see...so rare. Good luck getting them going.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Fantastic Jeeps. Word of caution they are money pits and finding a good example is not cheap and having a shop work on it is going to be $$$$$$$$$$$$s. You may be close the new Jeep JL pickup in dollars by the time you are done if you are trying to make a family vehicle out of it. Also safety is a concern, safe yes but no where near a modern vehicle if you are going to use it to tool around with a pack of kids even with a roll cage.

Last I checked the market for a well restored or low-rust example was $25 to $40k. If you are going to modify extensively you may want to try to find one of the few remaining with a solid frame and retub it as replacement bodies are available.

Below is mine that me and my father put back together a couple years ago. If I get some extra cash I am getting ready to do a refresh on it.

Paid $2500 for it in the 2000s and probably have another $7k plus a huge amount of multiple peoples hours in it.

Attachments

• 041804scramblerside.JPG
      041804scramblerside.JPG
      30.3 KB · Views: 632

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Fantastic Jeeps. Word of caution they are money pits and finding a good example is not cheap and having a shop work on it is going to be $$$$$$$$$$$$s. You may be close the new Jeep JL pickup in dollars by the time you are done if you are trying to make a family vehicle out of it. Also safety is a concern, safe yes but no where near a modern vehicle if you are going to use it to tool around with a pack of kids even with a roll cage.

Last I checked the market for a well restored or low-rust example was $25 to $40k. If you are going to modify extensively you may want to try to find one of the few remaining with a solid frame and retub it as replacement bodies are available.

Below is mine that me and my father put back together a couple years ago. If I get some extra cash I am getting ready to do a refresh on it.

Paid $2500 for it in the 2000s and probably have another $7k plus a huge amount of multiple peoples hours in it.

Good advice here and dually noted.

The ones I’m looking at are $30-35k and basically ready to go.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    To answer your question, Chewy's in My Airy does lots of work on older cars. He'd probably be a good place to take it for service.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Good advice here and dually noted.

The ones I’m looking at are $30-35k and basically ready to go.

You are in the right range. Only thing I would add a little more to the safety issue, these really are not any safer than a CJ7. Long wheelbase helps a little but the entire ability of the vehicle to resist damage is frame and a little from the rollbar. The 800 or so extra pounds may be actually working against you as you are just wheeling more mass (F=MV) plenty safe for offroad with a good cage and 5 point harnesses and better seat anchoring. Onroad………...not so good. They are just a product of their age.

That said I had a Dodge Ram pull out infront of me in an old YJ a decade or so ago. Structurally very similar. Never made it to the brake peddle at highway speed. Walked away with some persistent back and neck injuries but I did walk away!

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    $35k is insane. That better have an LSX/4L75-E/Atlas, custom axles, trick suspension, perfect frame/body and paint, and more. They're not that special a vehicle.

As suggested, a super clean FJ80 with some ARBs sounds better to me.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    $35k is insane. That better have an LSX/4L75-E/Atlas, custom axles, trick suspension, perfect frame/body and paint, and more. They're not that special a vehicle.

As suggested, a super clean FJ80 with some ARBs sounds better to me.

I know it’s a “waste” of money. Hard to put a price tag on nostalgia. Can’t take it with you.

YOLO and all that.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    Honestly, vehicle maintenance and repair doesnt get much simpler than a CJ8. Replace the lousy Carter feedback carb with a Motorcraft 2100 or a Weber and motor on down the road.

Definitely go to the PA Jeep show this weekend!!! You will probably find what your looking for.

If you could make do with a rust free CJ7 I've got one.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Not a Cj7 but I've had a '46 CJ2A for a number of years. Mine is a daily driver in good weather and I can tell you that maintenance and repairs are a normal part of life. You need to learn to work on it yourself or it's going to cost you a lot of money and even more downtime with it just sitting. I can't imagine a CJ7 is any less maintenance than a CJ2A if used on a regular basis. You also need to buy spare parts based on Quality and NOT price. Besides, parts aren't all that expensive to begin with. As a general rule, modifications are not "improvements" but rather self inflicted problems. Leave it stock unless it really makes good sense i.e. electronic ignition. That's my humble advice.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I know it’s a “waste” of money. Hard to put a price tag on nostalgia. Can’t take it with you.

YOLO and all that.
    Just saying, if you're spending that much, get something that has some serious upgrades. A modern GM drivetrain would be at the top of my list.

I got out of the CJ game a few years ago, but I've kept an eye out for a deal on someone's custom rig. When you get into the ~$20k or so and up price range, you can often get a rather clean custom that somebody has dumped a shit load of money into. Dynatrac axles, GM V8s, 4L75E, ARB lockers, Atlas transfercase, etc. etc. $35k can get you something that's been featured in one of the big magazines.

I don't care how clean a Scrambler is, the stock drive-train ain't all that compelling. $15k is the max I would consider paying for a stock Scrambler. The 258, T176/T5/T4/SR4 , Dana 300, and an AMC20/Dana30 could be worse, but doesn't command any sort of premium. The transmission should go straight into the dumpster. The AMC 20 too. The Dana 300 is a good tcase. You can do the 4.0 headswap, EFI, cam, etc. etc. on that 258, but any modern FI V8 will make more HP, more torque at lower RPM, and probably get better MPG. This all comes from over a decade of applying turd polish.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Damascus motors can do what you need, Andy is a big Jeep guy. They can do anything from very very custom to oil changes.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Not a Cj7 but I've had a '46 CJ2A for a number of years. Mine is a daily driver in good weather and I can tell you that maintenance and repairs are a normal part of life. You need to learn to work on it yourself or it's going to cost you a lot of money and even more downtime with it just sitting. I can't imagine a CJ7 is any less maintenance than a CJ2A if used on a regular basis. You also need to buy spare parts based on Quality and NOT price. Besides, parts aren't all that expensive to begin with. As a general rule, modifications are not "improvements" but rather self inflicted problems. Leave it stock unless it really makes good sense i.e. electronic ignition. That's my humble advice.

I have a 1945 MB in the back of the shed. It ran when I parked it long ago. I've got a long way to go but I hope it looks like that one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom