• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Will they still be worth looking for this coming Friday? I son't know how long the desirable season is.

Honestly I exhausted my paw paw knowledge in the last post! Based on what I saw with our tree the window of ripeness is very small, after that they fall to the ground so I'm not sure. They didn't ripen all at once on our tree however.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I never heard of it until just recently my wife was looking at getting a couple...I might try to plant a couple just to see what they do. How long do the take to produce fruit?

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    CFT Hit the nail on the head. The Lander Road boat ramp on the C&O canal is the place to go. However its to late in the year, everything was rotten on the ground and the trees were empty.

I'm going to mark my calendar for next year, there are a ton of them here. Thanks CFT :thumbsup:

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      170.1 KB · Views: 267

Mako

MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2016
    ES of MD
    I never heard of it until just recently my wife was looking at getting a couple...I might try to plant a couple just to see what they do. How long do the take to produce fruit?

You can find trees that are closer to fruit bearing age (2-3 years away), but they will cost around $100 or more. Paw Paw trees do not transplant well as they have a large tap root and once damaged can easily fail to thrive.

I would look into a Peterson Paw Paw variety. Bigger, sweeter, and a lot less seeds. I love Paw Paw, but the wild ones leave an astringent after taste due to all the seeds. I have three growing now that are not yet of fruit bearing age. Susquehanna, Allegheny, and Sunflower varieties.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I loved eating paw paws as a kid, and still do as an adult. The farm I just sold last year to a member here had a multitude of paw paw trees scattered throughout.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I went hiking yesterday along the Susquehanna yesterday, and kept an eye out for the paw paw trees. As previously mentioned, most of the fruit I saw was already on the ground and spoiled. I still got a couple dozen to split among myself, a friend, and to bring some into my office for my non-woodsy coworkers. I spotted some remaining immature fruit still up some trees here and there, but not many.

Between the congenial weather and adequate rain we have had this summer, I think it moved the fruit maturity period forward by 1-2 weeks. I think last year or the year before the maturity period was the last week of September through the first week of October.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I have been saving the seeds of the paw paw I ate, plus picked up a bunch of bruised paw paw on the ground for more seeds. I have a creek down the back end of my property, so I'll be planting the seeds a bit up from the embankment. The rest will be in mother nature's hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom