• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clem

Mar 19, 2007
    Southern MD
    I've been watching this for years. If you can spare the application money, and are willing to take the time; I think you have a very good chance. First some good news: MDSP has been returning applications (and checks) to those with no 'good and substantial' reason. But I believe you do meet their secret criteria (money). Your best bet is get your company to write you a letter speaking to how valuable and important/sensitive that data and equipment is. How if it were lost/stolen there would be irrevocable harm to Maryland citizens privacy, etc. even better if your employers will put in language that they want you armed. 'Guards' get permits all the time.

Now the bad news, last I heard, they were still being forced to put stupid restrictions on the back, so you may be limited to only being legal while 'on the job'. Keep a company laptop in your car. ;)

Good luck and please let me know how it goes, I advise people all the time and just want to help.

After the court decision in March 2012, I sent in my application. I left question 9, reason, blank. I had an interview that I think went well in Aug. I asked then if they had access to files on me concerning government security clearance background investigations. The officer said yes. At the end he said he was forwarding the application recommending approval and that the process should take about a month. It is now January and I haven’t heard anything. Any recommendations?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    After the court decision in March 2012, I sent in my application. I left question 9, reason, blank. I had an interview that I think went well in Aug. I asked then if they had access to files on me concerning government security clearance background investigations. The officer said yes. At the end he said he was forwarding the application recommending approval and that the process should take about a month. It is now January and I haven’t heard anything. Any recommendations?

Not really, Even if you have the contact info of the trooper that did your FtoF, that trooper no longer has your app because they forwarded it up the food chain. If you contact them it's not as if they are going to contact there superiors to ask them what's going on with your app. For the most part the MSP hate being bothered with things like that. For what it's worth, it took 7 weeks after my FtoF before my permit showed up in the mail. 208 days from start to finish.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    So, his company appears to already be in the loop.

Just connecting the dots, I've been doing it since I was a child. :)

And the up side is that's a good thing, the down side is if he leaves that company or things change for him within the company there goes the permit. The MSP gives only 10 days to update them with changes like that. If he falls down on that 10 day reporting rule he may never get a permit again. I'm just saying.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    I'm coming up on a year. I really wish there was a time limit on stays of judgement. After all, a right delayed is a right denied.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    what about the must show just cause?? has that been overturned yet

First off welcome. We really could use your help to fight these new laws they are trying to impose on us.

I think you are talking about the "good and substantial reasoning". We are still waiting on the opinion from the 4th circuit of appeals on that one. could be today could be 6 months from now. nobody knows. There are a lot of threads on that subject.

please conceder joining MSI to help our fight.

TheGoodSoldier

Oath Keeper
    Jan 25, 2013
    Silver Spring
    I thought that it was next to impossible to get a CCP in MD unless you are a law enforcement Officer or your job directly relates to you "needing" a handgun for like large money drops or something of the sort. Has this changed recently? Last I checked (Months ago while still on deployment) MD was still fighting it......

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I thought that it was next to impossible to get a CCP in MD unless you are a law enforcement Officer or your job directly relates to you "needing" a handgun for like large money drops or something of the sort. Has this changed recently? Last I checked (Months ago while still on deployment) MD was still fighting it......

Not true. With G&S in effect all you need in business related currency on you.

Mr H

Banana'd

It's not quite as simple as "cash", though that can be considered.

There are a number of situations that can be considered G&S. Threats, cash, prescription pads, high-value equipment, among others.

But, the key piece is convincing the reviewing officer of the need. It's very subjective.

As for the status of the permit process? In effect, there is currently no change. But with the Legg Decision, the onus is on the state to prove that there is cause to overturn his determination that G&S is unconstitutional. If they ultimately fail to do that, the game changes in our favor.

We are still waiting for that next step (a decision from the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals).

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    It's not quite as simple as "cash", though that can be considered.

There are a number of situations that can be considered G&S. Threats, cash, prescription pads, high-value equipment, among others.

But, the key piece is convincing the reviewing officer of the need. It's very subjective.

As for the status of the permit process? In effect, there is currently no change. But with the Legg Decision, the onus is on the state to prove that there is cause to overturn his determination that G&S is unconstitutional. If they ultimately fail to do that, the game changes in our favor.

We are still waiting for that next step (a decision from the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals).

Or a change in law during this legislative session

tanbin003

Dec 26, 2012
    Does anyone know if I am required to take any courses for my CCP application? Is the MD online handgun safety course enough? Tnx !

tanbin003

Dec 26, 2012
    thanks Merlin !
    and do you (or anyone else) know about the requirements if you apply for the permit under the " Professional Activities" categories? i.e: Doctors?
    do you still have to document a threat to your life?
    thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom