• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Apologies if this exists add I didn't find it in search. I also couldn't decide if it belonged here or rifles.

I'm pretty tall at 6'4", I was in the middle of am AR pistol build when I realized it was only 1/4 up my forearm

My solution was to Ebay a 2nd pistol buffer tube, user a pipe cutter to get the right length and then glue/ pound a 1" wooden dowel into the remaining buffer tube. I then drilled a single hole in the actual buffer tube to affix the addition with a heavy duty screw. All in all it cost about $25 to do and will allow me to use the sb tactical brace which I got for $68 at optics planet.

Was wondering what other solutions people came up with for this problem?

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I would almost surely not do this.

You may have made an unregistered sbr.

One of the reasons a "brace" is not a stock is length. There is an unwritten but now publicized 13.5 in length of pull limit for pistol braces, see here: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...-loss-in-ohio-short-barrel-rifle-prosecution/

I say "may have" - I would not press your luck by modifying a pistol brace or the buffer tube in any way.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Overall length is 27"

Therefore as I understand does not fit sbr definition

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Also, I'm free to be corrected, but I'm kinda sure the primary difference between sbr and pistol is butt stock and arm brace respectively. Not buffer tube length.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Also, I'm free to be corrected, but I'm kinda sure the primary difference between sbr and pistol is butt stock and arm brace respectively. Not buffer tube length.

Read the link. The ATF may consider any modification of the brace from the manufacturers configuration, including a longer tube, to turn the brace into a stock. I would strongly caution against it. You are not supposed to be shouldering a brace except occasionally. If you modify your "brace" to make it more comfortable to shoulder, that would be prima facia evidence of intent.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    I would almost surely not do this.

You may have made an unregistered sbr.

One of the reasons a "brace" is not a stock is length. There is an unwritten but now publicized 13.5 in length of pull limit for pistol braces, see here: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...-loss-in-ohio-short-barrel-rifle-prosecution/

I say "may have" - I would not press your luck by modifying a pistol brace or the buffer tube in any way.

Also Dan, thanks for the post, I've never heard of that pull length piece which I'll measure out. I still think I'm safe being over 26" but will leave it to consensus of the board members and if its perceived as sketchy, the way I made it is reversible.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Also Dan, thanks for the post, I've never heard of that pull length piece which I'll measure out. I still think I'm safe being over 26" but will leave it to consensus of the board members and if its perceived as sketchy, the way I made it is reversible.

And also: a brace is for your arm. A stock is for your shoulder. I would advise either way that intent matters and braces are only to be shouldered "occasionally."

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    For what it's worth, a standard AR pistol buffer tube is the same length as sn A2 buffer tube, if memory serves.

Why not go with a standard carbine tube and and adjustable SBA3 brace. Optics Planet has them on sale right now for $99 which includes the buffer tube. A $50 savings.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    For what it's worth, a standard AR pistol buffer tube is the same length as sn A2 buffer tube, if memory serves.

Why not go with a standard carbine tube and and adjustable SBA3 brace. Optics Planet has them on sale right now for $99 which includes the buffer tube. A $50 savings.

Because when I started that sale wasn't running and this was a $93 solution to a $149 problem.

Plus the availability to sb3's depends on the day, it was my first choice though

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Plus aesthetically, I like the looks of the sb15 a lot better than the sb3

Sorry for the update, my smart phone spell check is not smart.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sb-tac...g-brace.html?_iv_code=2HH-SBC-SBBR-SBA3-01-SB

Free shipping too!

Plus aesthetically, I like the looks of the sb15 a lot better than the sb3

Sorry for the update, my smart phone spell check is not smart.

To each his own.

For me, I hated the SB15. Big bulbous chunk of rubber that wasn't adjustable. The SBA3s are miles above the SB15, IMO. There's always the next build...;)

PorP

Mar 11, 2016

PorP

Mar 11, 2016

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads