• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    Motor oil is for motors. I guess it will work short term but I really don't see the point. Are you just trying to save a few pennies on maintenance for a firearm you potentially paid 100's or even 1000's of dollars for? Why?? Just use CLP or Swiss automatenfett. Both are superior to motor oil on firearms and that's what they were designed for. I know of no first class military that issues motor oil to their troops. "Nah, you don't need anything special. Just head on over to the motor pool. Those guys will set you right up." The mere thought of it is just plain silly. They issue motor oil to the motor pool and weapon oil to the troops.

If CLP is superior to motor oil then why isn’t being used in the automotive industries? I’ve used CLP at the M60 ranges and it tends to dry up quickly and cause weapons failure. My fire team always used motor oil for better lubricatoion and sustained fire longer in competitions.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Motor oil is for motors. I guess it will work short term but I really don't see the point. Are you just trying to save a few pennies on maintenance for a firearm you potentially paid 100's or even 1000's of dollars for? Why?? Just use CLP or Swiss automatenfett. Both are superior to motor oil on firearms and that's what they were designed for. I know of no first class military that issues motor oil to their troops. "Nah, you don't need anything special. Just head on over to the motor pool. Those guys will set you right up." The mere thought of it is just plain silly. They issue motor oil to the motor pool and weapon oil to the troops.

Great post. Cracks me up. :D. And lots of truth to it.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    :thumbsup: Motor oil is designed to be hygroscopic, basically additives allow it to trap moisture and suspend it. Not a big deal if it is in an engine that will be heated past water's boiling point frequently, and long enough to release the moisture in the form of vapor. It's a bad property as it saturates to form an emulsion, then forms free moisture under the oil film along with acidification and corrosion. Most contain toxic benzene additive compounds and the additive package usually has little resistance to oxidation in the open. Might be an OK lubricant, definitely cheap, but it does have a serious drawback that other types of hydrophobic oils don't. Most gun oils and mil-spec CLP have a lot in common with food-grade light machine oil, high barrier lubrication, high corrosion protection, low volatility, stable across a broad temperature range, goodoxidation protection, and non-toxic.

I wouldn’t classify motor oil as hydroscopic, though it’s designed to hold contaminates in suspension.

Another good post with facts. :thumbsup:

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    You guys (if not some of you already) should give G96 gun treatment a whirl.

Malthus

Aug 1, 2009
    MD
    Plenty of other videos/studies done informally that can be found. This is the third in a series, I believe Mobil 1 and Balistol are in an earlier one. From all the studies I've read. Some of the oils will displace moisture better than others, some don't cook-off as rapidly as others, some have better friction reduction properties, some can tolerate dirt/grime/fouling better, some are better at long term corrosion resistance. There are trade offs in most products, and you need to decide what your priorities are. No one product is best at all things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOB5eCReAQY

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    How would you run the risk of voiding the warranty by using Mobil 1 grease or oil? Neither one is going to hurt a firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know, maybe because it not a preservative. I haven't seen any scientific studies regarding it. In a pinch, okay, but it is not what I'm going to use on my brand new P226 Legion or M11-A1.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    What are you talking about? Are you just posting gibberish?

I was responding to another person's post, regarding that I wouldn't use motor oil, because I may run the risk of voiding the warranty. Sorry that you didn't understand my response, but it wasn't gibberish.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I’ve used CLP at the M60 ranges and it tends to dry up quickly and cause weapons failure.

It's true. An M60 well-lubed with CLP will burn damn near all of it off within 150 rounds depending on the climate and ROF. My AG kept two extra bottles of it in the spare barrel bag at all times.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I was responding to another person's post, regarding that I wouldn't use motor oil, because I may run the risk of voiding the warranty. Sorry that you didn't understand my response, but it wasn't gibberish.

I've read all of your posts in this thread. No need to reiterate how ridiculous they are.

Let's see you post the provision in your warranty that says it will be voided if you don't use the right lube.

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    Agreed! All I ever used was CLP (BreakFree) in the military. Every rifle I was issued had a small bottle of the stuff in the stock. I use it today, zero malfunctions when applied and I don't see the need to run the risk to void a warranty. If is was a survival situation, I would more than likely use a motor oil. But I see no need to do it now.

When I was on active duty in the Army all we used was CLP too. That was given to us by the arms room MFIC and if you didn’t use it then you were not released until you did. Motor oil was used at the range to minimize stoppage and easier cleaning when we were done. Also the motor oil prevented carbon buildup on the metal and offered smoother mechanical action. CLP burns off quickly and made the weapons moving parts dry during firing.

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    Yes. Pretty much everyone here who is either a student or a fan of Clandestine. Myself included. Mobil 1 15-30 on the bolt (BCG), trigger and firing parts, and Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease for all the bearing parts (slides, etc.), and I use a Boeing aerospace product for the inside of the bore.

I’m a student, a fan and a user :D:thumbsup:

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I've read all of your posts in this thread. No need to reiterate how ridiculous they are.

Let's see you post the provision in your warranty that says it will be voided if you don't use the right lube.

If you think they are ridiculous fine, I am simply not going to run the risk. It is a preference, pure and simple. If you can't understand that it is your issue not mine.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    When I was on active duty in the Army all we used was CLP too. That was given to us by the arms room MFIC and if you didn’t use it then you were not released until you did. Motor oil was used at the range to minimize stoppage and easier cleaning when we were done. Also the motor oil prevented carbon buildup on the metal and offered smoother mechanical action. CLP burns off quickly and made the weapons moving parts dry during firing.

Maybe the reason why they made you clean it with CLP was to ensure it was clean and had a preservative coating on it. I view this argument like 9mm vs .45 Cal vs .40 Cal. It is up to each individual.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I wouldn't risk quoting the warranty either. It may kill your integrity.

Thanks for playing.

I have a lot of integrity. Obvious you don't understand the meaning of "may" used in my sentance. As another person once said "I done with dealing with you".

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    LSA was the end all back when I was in! Now they found a cheaper product, Breakfree CLP! And in a few yrs. they'll find another new product. No big! I will go with no one product can Clean, Lube, and Preserve as well as 3 specific products.
    Lets face it. For your average trip to the range you could use corn oil with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom