• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cah9583

Back yard AR mechanic ?
    Aug 3, 2016
    Preston Md
    So I was using some freedom munitions 55gr 223 to zero a rifle at 100 yards and the best group I could get was a 5 shot group all within like 4 inches and I had a flyer in there, I don't think its my rifle or scope so if anyone has experienced this please let me know

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    I've had good results with Freedom Munitions 55FMJ remanufactured ammo, it even outshot my handloads with Hornady 55FMJ and Varget.
    That could say something about the quality of my handloads, but the FM ammo works so well and for 31 cents per round it's not worth my time to make 223 right now.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    My experience with two AR's and Freedom both new and re-manufactured has been great.

As previously stated try another brand and move on.

Not to hack your thread: check out the green line

zero_zpsa1s9r9vl.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]​

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So I was using some freedom munitions 55gr 223 to zero a rifle at 100 yards and the best group I could get was a 5 shot group all within like 4 inches and I had a flyer in there, I don't think its my rifle or scope so if anyone has experienced this please let me know

What's the rate of twist in your rifle?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    1:8

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Should handle them fine. Like others said, maybe your gun doesn't like'm. Is there other ammo you've tried with better results? By that I mean, it's the ammo and not the barrel, right?

cah9583

Back yard AR mechanic ?
    Aug 3, 2016
    Preston Md
    Yeah its a fairly new build so I haven't had much time to experiment but I imagine its just the ammo not rifle its a 1:8 hbar with a nikon 4-12 mil dot scope with nikon rings and I have a cmc trigger in it I guess it'll just take more time to figure it out

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What size groups do you shoot with that rifle with ammo of known accuracy?

( Hint - Establishing a baseline f or comparison.)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    What size groups do you shoot with that rifle with ammo of known accuracy?

( Hint - Establishing a baseline f or comparison.)

This. I've only used Freedom Munitions Reman. 69gr. HPBT .223 ammo, but it shot sub MOA for me. I'm going to try the 55 gr. soon.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have found the Freedom Munitions ammo (non reloaded), to be some of the most accurate I have.

1:7 twist on my AR, shot like a dream and no flyers.

Kabookie

Jun 21, 2015
    Pasadena, MD
    I run Freedom .556 Re-man and occasionally New loads through my LWRC IC-Enhanced (16" Barrel w/ 1/7 twist) all the time. I am not a frequent shooter with it because of the lack of ranges near me. But when concentrating through a scope at 100 yds. I can achieve 2" groups. I admit I am not a good shot IMO so bring on all the dig remarks people :poke:. Yes I do get the occasional floater but they are too far and few between for me to be concerned about it.

The only problem I have with Freedom Ammo is that the processing and shipping takes too long. Other than that...Whenever I pull the trigger, it always goes BANG!

It's like the color purple, It's the best number in the alphabet.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok, I'll try to not imply any dig regarding your helpful post.

How does that compare to your groups with name brand ammo of similar type ?

Kabookie

Jun 21, 2015
    Pasadena, MD
    The only other ammo I have used is the stuff by Black Gun Industries (55 grain). Same results...And to Dig to me...Same sloppy results.

What name brand Ammo do you recommend? Maybe I can tighten my groups.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    The only other ammo I have used is the stuff by Black Gun Industries (55 grain). Same results...And to Dig to me...Same sloppy results.

What name brand Ammo do you recommend? Maybe I can tighten my groups.

Federal gold metal match is kind of an industry standard for accurate factory ammo. You can also look at Black Hills, or Creedmoore Sports. All have pretty good track records.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    hard to compare results with others, and much has to do with your setup. In most "real world" cases a 4" group at 100 with FMJ from a bench is sufficient with a stockish M4gery, and most would consider it decent. Now if it's a purpose built target rifle clamped in a rest, with a high power scope with a proficient shooter, if you get 4" with this, and sub 1" with several other comparable loads, then that might mean something.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Geco 55gr FMJ was the best Factory ammo I have shot that is not match ammo. 1-2" groups with my Dad's bushmaster from the bench with bags that has a scope when I tried it. 2-3" groups with my dissipator which has no scope though, just peeps. It has a pretty heavy crimp too. That is one to try.

As said, you have to try small amounts of different ammo if you will just use factory.

Eking, I gave up on Hornady 55gr FMJ after first time I reloaded with it and 3 others told me same results.
    Xtreme 55fmj are cheaper and same plinking accuracy.
    Nosler bullets are bang for the buck without paying Matching prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom