• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    I'am looking to buy a crossbow for my 9 y/o son to use this deer season. What are the minimum/acceptable specs for hunting whitetail? Speed? Energy?

Thanks!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Would you consider a 75lbs draw adequate at about 40 yes? The recurve crossbow I am looking at has a 150lbs draw with 65 ft-lbs of energy at 245 dos.

It all depends on the sharpness of your razors. The energy needed it to slice through the prey is not that much. Most often, you will find your arrow/bolt has been shot through the deer.

Speed comes into play because of sound and the deer's reaction time ("Jumping the string"). The faster your bolt/arrow can get to the deer, the less time it has to haunch down and duck the arrow.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    OBTW,

You need to make sure you are familiar with the term "DEGLOVING", and then make your 9 year old familiar with it too. Crossbow safety is no joke.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Thanks! The one I am looking at has "finger reminders".

Believe it or not. While those do indeed help while in a shooting hold position.

People initially picking up a cocked crossbow by the barrel, doesn't register for whatever reason or they have too much faith in a mechanical device called a safety...

DrSeuss

Mar 28, 2013
    If you're looking to buy a crossbow, I have a TenPoint Titan Extreme that I want to sell. It might be too heavy for your son since it's not a particularly light model. It has a dry fire and finger guards. I've had it for about a year and half.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I'am looking to buy a crossbow for my 9 y/o son to use this deer season. What are the minimum/acceptable specs for hunting whitetail? Speed? Energy?

Thanks!

Maryland Crossbow Regulations

•Crossbows may be used to hunt nutria, woodchucks, and all game birds and game mammals with the exception of beavers, weasels, mink, muskrats, river otters, and waterfowl.

•The use of telescopic and laser sights is permitted on all crossbows.

•A crossbow used for deer or bear hunting shall have a draw of not less than 75 pounds.

All crossbows should have a working safety.

•It is unlawful to have a loaded crossbow in, on or leaning against a vehicle. A loaded crossbow is one that is cocked AND has an arrow or bolt in the firing position.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/15mdhd/vertical-bow-crossbow-regulations/

gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    If you're looking to buy a crossbow, I have a TenPoint Titan Extreme that I want to sell. It might be too heavy for your son since it's not a particularly light model. It has a dry fire and finger guards. I've had it for about a year and half.

I appreciate the offer but am looking for a light weight bow.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I really like the Excalibur line. I know they make models for younger shooters so would give them a look.

Good archery shop in Mt Airy and Gamber if you're close to either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom