• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Veteran Suicide: The False Narrative of the Number 22
    http://inmilitary.com/veteran-suicide-the-false-narrative-of-the-number-22/?utm_source=IME
    There is one number that defines the way many Americans think about military veterans. That number is 22 per day, as in, 22 veterans commit suicide daily in the United States. This number has been blasted across the outlets of the mainstream media as a call to action for the advocates of the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans; the group that seems to be the most at risk. In addition, several non-profit organizations with the number “22” in their name, have sprung up to assist this group and draw national attention to this crisis.

The problem is that the number 22 is built on a false narrative.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    If you are a veteran and don't already know what it is look into

;IGY6

This will probably be the first and only tattoo I get in my lifetime. I have had to many friends fall to suicide.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have never liked the X happens every Y (days/hours/minutes) stat if you did the math on many of those things especially cumulatively the earth should be barren of human life, or everyone has been a victim of some sort of violence.

That being said, it is criminal the way big Uncle Sam takes care of its warriors, yet the ones that have done nothing do not need to ask for help.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    I have never liked the X happens every Y (days/hours/minutes) stat if you did the math on many of those things especially cumulatively the earth should be barren of human life, or everyone has been a victim of some sort of violence.

That being said, it is criminal the way big Uncle Sam takes care of its warriors, yet the ones that have done nothing do not need to ask for help.

I know the statistic is probably flawed but I have lost more than one friend to PTSD. You feel like shit when it is someone you know. Especially when you know they could have asked you for help at anytime and you would have walked through fire for them.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Had a bud take himself out years ago, 18D, I never thought he would go that way.

Another bud made it to retirement only to then end himself.

It's a tough problem, no two ways about it.

Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    If you are a veteran and don't already know what it is look into

;IGY6

This will probably be the first and only tattoo I get in my lifetime. I have had to many friends fall to suicide.

:thumbsup:

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I'm not sure where their information came from but that number was released in 2013 by a study by the Department of Vetrans affairs. Some think the number is low. Of course the military does not want that statistic out there. There are consequences to repeated deployments and constant combat. Our son has never been right and we worry about him all the time. At least the further he gets from the sandbox the better he will be.

https://www.google.com/search?sclie.....0j0j35i39j0i67j0i3j0i20j0i22i30.ubXK2rz9IpQ

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I'm having a little trouble understanding what the issue is about whether the number 22 is accurate. Am I correct that it is accepted that suicides are higher among military members (active or not) than among their civilian peers? If yes, then what's the issue, really?

From what I understand, the number originated with a good faith estimate from the VA. Given their troubles, I doubt they would be putting out an inflated number casting even more shadows on their performance. If there is an increased relative suicide risk among any definable group compared to another, it deserves attention at least, regardless of the exact number.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom