• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr_Wolf

Aug 24, 2009
    Ridgely
    Mine came today! Right around 3 weeks. Cool beans!

hydroplane

Feb 10, 2010
    Urbana, Maryland
    clarification

I ordered my forms today so I am trying to understand. What is the huge concern with over finding the correct CLEO? Specifically, if it is the MSP, County, Local Police. Is it that the CLEO needs to sign the form and you aren't able to find someone to sign it? It seems to me the most important thing here is that "a" local department has the information as well as the ATF. Send it the local law enforcement" department, notate it on the ATF copy and you are done. Chances are that the ATF just wants to have a contact if a warrant or assistance is needed.

Next, so I understand. I get the part with the "importing" into Maryland with this license I will not have to go through the "whole process", etc. Now how does this work with Class III firearms, machine guns that have "automatic" feature? Will I be able to obtain these firearms?

As always, thanks for all the insight.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    I ordered my forms today so I am trying to understand. What is the huge concern with over finding the correct CLEO? Specifically, if it is the MSP, County, Local Police. Is it that the CLEO needs to sign the form and you aren't able to find someone to sign it? It seems to me the most important thing here is that "a" local department has the information as well as the ATF. Send it the local law enforcement" department, notate it on the ATF copy and you are done. Chances are that the ATF just wants to have a contact if a warrant or assistance is needed.

Next, so I understand. I get the part with the "importing" into Maryland with this license I will not have to go through the "whole process", etc. Now how does this work with Class III firearms, machine guns that have "automatic" feature? Will I be able to obtain these firearms?

As always, thanks for all the insight.

Okay, part 1 of your question. The proper CLEO is the most local police department in your area. This was per an ATF email I received. It's not a huge deal because some have sent their forms to the MDSP and still received their license. I only tried to provide the most accurate information for the FAQ. No one needs to sign off on your application. It is only your job to send it to them. It is their job to contact ATF if there is a problem.

Now part 2. You can obtain machine guns with or without a C&R license. The only thing the C&R license will save you will be that you can purchase a C&R machine gun directly from an out of state dealer instead of having the out of state dealer transfer it to a MD dealer. You still have to purchase one made before 1986 and pay the $200 tax stamp, finger prints, passport photos and a bunch of $$$. Generally, if you can by a handgun, you can buy a machine gun if you have the money.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I believe the requirement to notify the local CLEO dates back to 1968 which was before a centralized database of criminal offendors and nearly 30 years before the Brady Law. It was likely done to check or double check, and make sure the applicant was not crazy or any other prohibitted person, but now that the ATF uses a centeralized database (NCIC) and such to check new applicants, the old requirement of notifying the CLEO is really uneccessary.

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    I ordered some paperwork including a C&R App for a buddy of mine and they sent fingerprint cards w/ it. What gives? They change something up on us? or is it a clerical mistake?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I ordered some paperwork including a C&R App for a buddy of mine and they sent fingerprint cards w/ it. What gives? They change something up on us? or is it a clerical mistake?

Clerical. I recall my application packet five years ago also had the fingerprint card and the other stuff, but it was just the stuff included in with the business FFLs and someone got mixed up.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Do I have to record every gun purchase in my bound book or just my C&R purchases?
    You only have to record the C&R firearms that you purchase after obtaining you license. This means that if you purchase a non-C&R gun it does not have to be entered in you bound book. This also means that you must log in/out a firearm that was purchase after you got your license even if you do not use your license to purchase the firearm. Even still, you DO NOT have to log in a C&R firearm that was purchase prior to your license however if you sell the said firearm after obtaining you license you must log it in and out accordingly.

I wanted to get some clarification on this. Say I get my C&R license. Then I go to the local gun shop and buy a Remington 870. It's not C&R. Do I log it in my book?

Also say I sell one of my existing guns which is also not a C&R like say a Glock 19 or whatever. Do I then enter it in a log book as exiting my posession?

Also one other question unrelated to the book. If I go to a gun show in VA, PA, etc can I use my C&R to purchase something like a handgun (say a CZ-52) that I would previously be unable to purchase out of state; or do I have to get it mailed to an FFL regardless?

6-Speed

Mar 9, 2009
    MD
    I wanted to get some clarification on this. Say I get my C&R license. Then I go to the local gun shop and buy a Remington 870. It's not C&R. Do I log it in my book? NO

Also say I sell one of my existing guns which is also not a C&R like say a Glock 19 or whatever. Do I then enter it in a log book as exiting my posession? NO

Also one other question unrelated to the book. If I go to a gun show in VA, PA, etc can I use my C&R to purchase something like a handgun (say a CZ-52) that I would previously be unable to purchase out of state; or do I have to get it mailed to an FFL regardless? I believe cash and carry, as long as the state doesn't prohibit it (ie. Maryland), using your C&R license. As long as the firearm qualifies as C&R.

I bought a 91/30 before I even had the paper work for my C&R, I don't have to log that one. The only thing that has to be logged are C&R eligible firearms bought using your C&R license. I still keep records on my other firearms, just not in my Bound Book.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I wanted to get some clarification on this. Say I get my C&R license. Then I go to the local gun shop and buy a Remington 870. It's not C&R. Do I log it in my book?
    No, just C&R you acquiesce or dispossess while you have your license.

Also say I sell one of my existing guns which is also not a C&R like say a Glock 19 or whatever. Do I then enter it in a log book as exiting my posession?
    No, just C&R guns.

Also one other question unrelated to the book. If I go to a gun show in VA, PA, etc can I use my C&R to purchase something like a handgun (say a CZ-52) that I would previously be unable to purchase out of state; or do I have to get it mailed to an FFL regardless?
    You are the FFL if you have a C&R FFL and it is a C&R handgun. :)

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    new to C&R

I requested my forms 2 months ago, got them 3 weeks later, and sent them out the next day. The good folks at ATF charged my card two weeks ago, but hasn't arrived yet (not holding my breath based on the posts here). So a few questions: for the bound book, what's the best/cheapest source? I don't plan on buying many/any C&R firearms, but realize I have to have a book (just in case!). Mostly just want the discounts. Is there a consolidated list of vendors that deal in C&R's (the only one I know off the top of my head is CDNN). I plan on the usual suspects for supplies (Midway, Brownells, etc). Any more info on the good discounts is appreciated!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I requested my forms 2 months ago, got them 3 weeks later, and sent them out the next day. The good folks at ATF charged my card two weeks ago, but hasn't arrived yet (not holding my breath based on the posts here). So a few questions: for the bound book, what's the best/cheapest source? I don't plan on buying many/any C&R firearms, but realize I have to have a book (just in case!). Mostly just want the discounts. Is there a consolidated list of vendors that deal in C&R's (the only one I know off the top of my head is CDNN). I plan on the usual suspects for supplies (Midway, Brownells, etc). Any more info on the good discounts is appreciated!

You can make a bound book. It can be a loose leaf notebook. There are links to pages you can print out, I believe even in this thread.

The "C&R perks and tips" sticky has links to vendors that offer discounts.

onatsky

Ultimate Member
    Feb 17, 2010
    Parkville MD
    I requested the form last week and got it today. Regarding the CLEO, do you mail a copy to them or should you go to their office to have them sign it? Do you mail the forms back to the Hyattsville address? Thanks... Ron

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    I requested the form last week and got it today. Regarding the CLEO, do you mail a copy to them or should you go to their office to have them sign it? Do you mail the forms back to the Hyattsville address? Thanks... Ron

I do not have a C&R.
    Having said that, the CLEO does NOT have to sign anything. You are notifying them of your newly found C&R status, not asking for their approval. They have as much say in your approval as I do. Typically they file the form, and asking your local PD who the CLEO is should be enough. Mail the form to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom