Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 21st, 2019, 12:36 PM #1

S&W 686 No Dash - No M on crane

I’m looking at an S&W 686 No Dash with no M to indicate that it was send back to S&W for the recall.

Would not being updated with the recall have any effect on whether I should buy it or not?

Thanks in advance for any advise.
imaoldcowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 09:13 PM #2

No. Most of the guns didn't have a problem. The problem was primer flow with hot 357 magnum ammo. Usually happened with 125 grain ammo. The fix was a longer firing pin and bushing replacement. As a collector, I would prefer the gun to be all original. My collection is mostly post-war, pre-1957 S&W revolvers, but I have owned as many as eight "L" frames. I currently own two. All original. No modifications. Nice shooters. All of them are/were early no dash models that were used when bought, but in high condition. If the price is right for the condition, don't be afraid to buy it. The factory will still repair it for free, with free shipping both ways. BTW, I've never had an issue.
python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2019, 08:16 AM #3

Ok, so I bought a Model 681 no dash, no M stamp.
Paid a tad to much for it, $650 OTD.

Not sure if I will send it to S&W for the recall. Probably shoot it first. But most likely won’t shoot many .357’s, mostly .38 and .38 plus p.
Old August 18th, 2019, 09:56 PM #4

I also have an original issue, no-M 686 (6-inch). Never shot it, but I called S&W years ago and the technician I spoke to had me drop a spent shell into a chamber, then measure the headspace (the distance between the recoil shield and the case head). After getting the average space (.006), the technician told me he wouldn't recommend sending it back and added that most guns work just fine, even those that measured .009. I had another 686 that measured .012 and it fired just fine, but it seemed excessive and I got rid of it despite the fact that it was very accurate (it was a 4-inch). I always figured I could get another, but that wasn't right. The wood grips, stamped S&W side plate, integral front sight and chromed hammer and trigger went the way of the world and in return I got a crummy trigger lock! I still have the original 6-inch and a 686-6 6-inch I got in a trade, but I miss the 4-incher.

citibank bank branch near me

post image

--
Cold Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM #5
Major Deplorable

Major Deplorable

how much additional value to pre internal lock S&W revolvers have vs after internal locks?
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM #6

[QUOTE=Cold Steel;5640165]I also have an original issue, no-M 686 (6-inch). Never shot it, but I called S&W years ago and the technician I spoke to had me drop a spent shell into a chamber, then measure the headspace (the distance between the recoil shield and the case head). After getting the average space (.006), the technician told me he wouldn't recommend sending it back and added that most guns work just fine, even those that measured .009. I had another 686 that measured .012 and it fired just fine, but it seemed excessive and I got rid of it despite the fact that it was very accurate (it was a 4-inch). I always figured I could get another, but that wasn't right. The wood grips, stamped S&W side plate, integral front sight and chromed hammer and trigger went the way of the world and in return I got a crummy trigger lock! I still have the original 6-inch and a 686-6 6-inch I got in a trade, but I miss the 4-incher.

Thanks for the info.
Here’s my 681
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM #7
Marcas Registradas

Marcas Registradas

I was one of the lucky ones to have an issue with my 586 no dash. I opted to send it in and got it back in exactly four weeks. Hands down, it is one of the best shooting handguns I have owned. I shot in a match here in NC and it was the gun I chose to shoot the match with. Six inch .357 Magnum stood out in a sea of polymer semi autos.
august1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM #8
i pi

i pi

Nice!!
danb is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns