Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 27th, 2019, 12:10 PM #21
Rifleman

Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
I tried of Noir's stuff pretty quickly, but also agree that it was generally rational and well presented. It's the attorney in him, I suppose.
I enjoy Noir's presentation, for both style and content. It must be the policy analyst in me, matching with his legal approach to our rights. And, along the same lines, I enjoyed Billy Johnson's commentaries. However, I haven't seen anything new from him lately. To me, Dana Loesch seemed to be barely in control of her anger. To most appropriately represent the entire 2A community, I firmly believe the NRA needs to project more diversity in their spokespeople-- women, minorities, LBTQ.... Since WLP seemed to put himself into the position of speaking for the NRA, he makes it seem like that's the entirety of the organization...5 million OFWGs.

JoeR
JoeRinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2019, 12:15 PM #22
AR15 Technical Instructor

Send a message via Skype™ to clandestine
AR15 Technical Instructor

Send a message via Skype™ to clandestine
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post
The NRA needs more dudes like him, not less. If the organization gave a shit about minorities carrying and living through the experience, maybe they'd actually support it instead of looking at it as part of the system discriminating against them. Yes, this is going to sometimes mean criticizing the actions of cops who shoot black men who have carry licenses. Sorry, but that's the price to pay.
Then the NRA will have less people like me.

Regardless of color, religion, or sex, when someone has a gun drawn on you, wether that's a Cop, or Joe Blow, you don't make a move unless you have plans to kill the person who has the gun drawn on you or have a death wish.

That's just common sense, regardless of how people want to spin it to fit a narrative.

School of the American Rifle Website

School of the American Rifle on Instagram
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2019, 12:21 PM #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRinMD View Post
To most appropriately represent the entire 2A community, I firmly believe the NRA needs to project more diversity in their spokespeople-- women, minorities, LBTQ.... Since WLP seemed to put himself into the position of speaking for the NRA, he makes it seem like that's the entirety of the organization...5 million OFWGs.

JoeR
Rather than waste time and precious money catering to demographics that time and time again have shown a complete and utter disregard for the Constitution in their voting patterns (pic related), the NRA would be better off circling the wagons and doing everything they can to cultivate the next generation of true believers.

There are plenty of young milennial and gen Z men who have become rabid 2A advocates, but plenty of them stay away from the NRA because of its reputation as a bunch of out-of-touch boomers spewing the sorts of lame platitudes you usually see on WND or in some Dinesh D'Souza piece. If the NRA had the balls to pivot directly to young milennial and gen Z gun owners (who just happen to skew white and male) and the internet right that they have formented, they could have a real monster of an organization on their hands. Most of us younger gun owners are among the most rabid 2A advocates that the shooting community has ever seen.
Attached Images

Steve_Zissou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2019, 12:46 PM #24
i pi

i pi

The NRA was negligent for not standing up for Castile, he had a legal CCW permit and disclosed that he was carrying. The officer overreacted.

At some point NRA will have to decide whether it will stick up for the rights of legal CCW holders, or remain cozy with law enforcement. Bear in mind that in MD, when we are shall issue, suddenly almost every state trooper will be given the latitude to have the same unreasonable fear and harass CCW holders. They already kinda do by discouraging open carry, although the W&C permit clearly allows it. See also: arbitrary W&C restrictions.

In the past (like the 80s and 90s) the NRA needed to be cozy with law enforcement to assure people relaxing gun laws would not impact crime. The usefulness of that relationship has long since passed. Law enforcement is anti-gun in the places most in need of shall-issue, and the conflict between membership growth, shall-issue, and law enforcement will only increase from now on.

I think some in the NRA are hoping to thread the needle, but I think that it will simply be interpreted as more bungling like in the Castile case.
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2019, 03:22 PM #25

Good. Fck the NRA right now. They aren't for our rights and haven't been for a decade+. I can't believe anyone who still supports them as a 2a org has two cells in their brain to rub together.
MindTheGAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2019, 03:31 PM #26
i pi

i pi

For those who say **** the NRA, keep in mind there is no other organization with the membership to fill the gap. The vacuum will be filled by Bloomberg funded anti-gun groups. Who by the way have been inciting the infighting in the Trace and NYT. The strident hardline groups like the GOA do not file good amicus briefs, dont elect politicians, and largely chase windmills. They don't have the numbers. People who think otherwise are living in a little bubble. People who help dismantle the NRA, or boycott them, are as bad or worse than Demanding Moms.

You can have tiny tent of people who agree 100%, but dont get things done, or a big tent of people who only agree 65%, but have the numbers to move the ball forward. Given that we dont even have reciprocity or Constitutional Carry in South Carolina of all places (kinda ridiculous I cant get a NR permit), moving the ball forward even among Republicans is harder than people seem to think. We would not have shall issue in so many states without the NRA.
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2019, 05:07 PM #27

As I posted in another thread:

The Liberal hyenas smell blood and will gang up to tear the wounded NRA to shreds.

Let's all help them with this.

"Forget it, Jake, it's C̶h̶i̶n̶a̶t̶o̶w̶n̶ Maryland."

Originally Posted by Deep Lurker:
Quote:
Disclaimer: “No criminals will be harmed in the passage of these gun control bills.”
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2019, 09:00 PM #28

Given the need for money over at the NRA, they were selling life memberships for $500 each last year. I decided to get one for my wife and one for my son (who's now 10). I've never liked Wayne LaPierre, but he is 69 years old. I think the chances that he'll be around 20 years from now are what they are for anyone his age. I think the odds, however, of the NRA surviving him and this mess are a sure thing. If they are in trouble financially, that in my mind is even more reason to support them.

That is why I took them up on the offer I received in the mail yesterday to upgrade my wife and my son to Endowment life memberships for $300 each. They even get duffel bags to go with it. I sent them $250 so I could have a duffel bag to match theirs.

I do support SAF and GOA in addition, but I am standing with the NRA as I would with other long-term investments that I make.

#WeWillNotComply
PowPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2019, 08:07 AM #29
Senior Member (Gold)

Senior Member (Gold)

So you're saying Dana Loesch has a lot of free time right now?
Old June 28th, 2019, 08:53 AM #30

Okay, I'll swim against the tide - I like Dana Loesch. She's female, attractive, has a family, a career, and the Left hates her for herself and her pro-gun views. I think it's a big mistake for the NRA to let her go.
28Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues