• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There is one MAJOR problem with the Python.

They are like potato chips, you can't have just one. :lol2:

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I just finished paying one off an a layaway. I'll be picking it up sometime this week, be posting pics....they are simply superb

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Sweet looking Python, my friend. Looking forward to a few trigger pulls, although it's in such good condition, I still think that you should consider keeping her in the safe.

;) I've waited 25 years to get another one and I just can't bring myself to do that. I'm too old to deny myself the pleasure. I understand where you're coming from, though, because it is such a superb specimen.

I just finished paying one off an a layaway. I'll be picking it up sometime this week, be posting pics....they are simply superb

It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one on MDS crazy enough to spring for a Python! :thumbsup: What did you get? 4"? 6"? Blue? Nickel? I'm looking forward to seeing it.

plumberone

Aug 26, 2013
    Millers, Maryland
    Thanks

I'm glad you bought that Python. When it went for sale on the classifieds I had to really consider purchasing it.
    However I've never spent that much on a firearm.
    I think you got a nice gun and I don't have to keep seeing it for sale.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    At the price they sell for I am content with just one! :)

For steady hard shooting I use a Ruger or a Smith. The Python doesn't compare for constant use. Mine comes out for a walk now and then with light to moderate loads or no more than a few factory class magnum rounds. The status they have now I don't want to beat it anyway.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I'm glad you bought that Python. When it went for sale on the classifieds I had to really consider purchasing it.
    However I've never spent that much on a firearm.
    I think you got a nice gun and I don't have to keep seeing it for sale.

Thank you. Dealing with a seller like Brownl345 is what sealed the deal. The guy is a class-act and the way he allowed me to inspect it thoroughly prior to purchase, answer questions and engage in good conversation was icing on the proverbial cake.

Mine comes out for a walk now and then with light to moderate loads or no more than a few factory class magnum rounds. The status they have now I don't want to beat it anyway.

Mine will have a similar fate.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    ;) I've waited 25 years to get another one and I just can't bring myself to do that. I'm too old to deny myself the pleasure. I understand where you're coming from, though, because it is such a superb specimen.

It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one on MDS crazy enough to spring for a Python! :thumbsup: What did you get? 4"? 6"? Blue? Nickel? I'm looking forward to seeing it.

You bought a classic. Wasn't a more beautiful revolver to be found in the display case 40 years ago IMO. Wasn't the money to be found in my wallet to be able to afford one 40 years ago either. I kept looking and kept drawing the same conclusion. "Champagne tastes and beer money" probably described many and most of us back then.

Classics don't come cheap. You like it today, and can now afford it later in life? Then by golly that's a part of what you worked for, and good for you OP! You earned it. Congrats, and I hope you enjoy it!!!

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    There is one MAJOR problem with the Python.

They are like potato chips, you can't have just one. :lol2:

So true...

IMG_0458.jpg

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    As much as I'd like to believe it, I don't see Colt ever building the Python again. Not many of the guys who built it are still around. Colt scrapped the machines and tools they used to build the Python when William Keys started running things (into the ground) in 1999. Production ceased completely in 2003.

The Python and the other I-frame guns it was based on were from a previous era, when technology was relatively expensive and labor was comparatively cheap. The Python is from a time when every part was hand fitted to the gun and was buffed to a high finish. Those skills are lost, the machinery that made the guns was scrapped and they aren’t coming back in the foreseeable future. I'd say we're more likely to see a return of the Anaconda than the Python.

Was the old Cobra never made to the Python standard? I'm asking as I'm sure everyone knows, the Cobra is being made available again. No doubt the new one won't be like the originals in any number of ways. But I was not aware that the Colt revolver line of years ago would have had that many different standards.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Was the old Cobra never made to the Python standard? I'm asking as I'm sure everyone knows, the Cobra is being made available again. No doubt the new one won't be like the originals in any number of ways. But I was not aware that the Colt revolver line of years ago would have had that many different standards.

My first generation Cobra uses the same style internals as the Python (V-spring). The surfaces on it are like glass. The trigger pull is super smooth, too. From what I could tell, it has less than 200 rounds through it.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

Do you mean the King Cobra? As I understand it, the King Cobra design was based upon the Trooper MK V and improved with the addition of a heavier-duty barrel, full length ejection rod protection shroud, and a solid rib (versus ventilated rib) on top of the barrel.

The King Cobra shouldn't be confused for the new Cobra. They're two entirely different handguns. The new Cobra is a lightweight, short-barreled .38 Special.

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    Seven reasons why I decided not to collect Colts. You're sitting on a significant amount of capital right there.
    It's an old photo. They have actually multiplied to an even dozen. Pythons have always been expensive, but I got mine before the whole Colt Snake Gun thing skyrocketed a few years back. For once, not exactly a bonehead move on my part. :rolleyes:

OP: Nice Python you snagged there. Enjoy shooting. I use mostly 38SP FWC and with these loads a good Python will last a long time.

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    Do you mean the King Cobra?
    Colt Cobra was made from 1950 thru 1981, chambered in 38SP, 32 Colt and 22LR.

You are correct about the King Cobra, same action as the Trooper MK series. The early Trooper in either 38SP and 357 had the same action as the Python.

Yes, they do have a new all-steel Cobra that was just released chambered in 38SP. I'd really like to get my hands on one of the new ones. Nice to see Colt is making a DA revolver again.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Revolvers/Cobra

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    It's an old photo. They have actually multiplied to an even dozen. Pythons have always been expensive, but I got mine before the whole Colt Snake Gun thing skyrocketed a few years back. For once, not exactly a bonehead move on my part. :rolleyes:

OP: Nice Python you snagged there. Enjoy shooting. I use mostly 38SP FWC and with these loads a good Python will last a long time.

Incredible. I'd just like to know how you keep from laying them all out on a mat, like that, and rolling-around naked on them? Because that's what I would probably do if I had a dozen Colt Pythons in my collection.

Thank you! That's what I was thinking: mainly .38 Special FWC loaded to target velocities and occasionally, a cylinder or two of mid-level .357 Magnum. It'll probably outlast its owner and be no worse for the wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom