• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    WONDERFUL weapon that I lust for. A buddy of mine had one years ago (RIP Paul) that he let me shoot many rounds out of. Smooth as silk action, the ONLY problem in retrospect is he had it Magnaported. :sad20: I guess he thought it was a good idea at the time, he's dead now but in retrospect Id try and talk him out of it.

My condolences for your friend, Paul. If you tried to talk him out of magnaporting a Python, you really were his friend.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I own several Pythons. One from 1956, one from 1962. Both of them were bought used in the early 80's for a fraction of what they go for today. The only one I bought new was of 1972 vintage. Paid $198.00 at Donahue's in Dulaney Plaza. I wish all of investments did so well.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Anytime. Now, I have to find my grail gun: Smith and Wesson 547.

They are uncommon, but not rare. Over 10k of them were made, with the 3" in the majority. A neat curiosity because of the unusual extractor, but if it breaks, you're screwed.

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    They are uncommon, but not rare. Over 10k of them were made, with the 3" in the majority. A neat curiosity because of the unusual extractor, but if it breaks, you're screwed.

Which is exactly why I don't want to buy one off Gunbroker. I saw one on Gunbroker that I'm sure had a hairline crack on the rear of the extractor. It sold for over $1500.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I own several Pythons. One from 1956, one from 1962. Both of them were bought used in the early 80's for a fraction of what they go for today. The only one I bought new was of 1972 vintage. Paid $198.00 at Donahue's in Dulaney Plaza. I wish all of investments did so well.

I wish I could say the same thing!

My first Python was a very lightly used 6" 1968 model that I bought around 1985-1986. I think I paid $500+ for it? Pythons have never been cheap no matter what era you're discussing. They were always priced over and above every handgun in the shop back then.

I remember seeing a 2.5" snubby at the Rod & Gun Club on-base but I didn't pay much attention to it since it was way outta my price range. I made about $520 per month as an E-4 with two years time in grade and it was all I could do to buy used, police turn-in Walther's at $175-200 a pop. Most had never been fired more than two or three times for annual qualification.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I cannot tell you how many times I've seen that very same revolver on Gunbroker. Something doesn't add up, because I know I've seen that gun sell before.[/QUOTE

I've seen it too. One deal breaker is the grips. The seller says they were original to the gun, as he was told. That kind of misinformation is a red flag for me.

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    Well done on your new score! She's gorgeous! I do hope to get one once Colt starts making them again. I have no illusion that these will be as nice as the hand fitted ones of yesterday but they are among the gorgeous revolvers I've ever seen.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Excellent pick up! I told Mr. Brown that I would have probably made some of his revolvers mine had it not been for the HQL. Probably a good thing considering the cost of a divorce nowadays! You gentlemen have fine taste.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Congrats on a spectacular pickup!

A Python has been on my list for a long, long time. Love at first sight!

One of these days...

Excellent pick up! I told Mr. Brown that I would have probably made some of his revolvers mine had it not been for the HQL. Probably a good thing considering the cost of a divorce nowadays! You gentlemen have fine taste.

Well done on your new score! She's gorgeous! I do hope to get one once Colt starts making them again. I have no illusion that these will be as nice as the hand fitted ones of yesterday but they are among the gorgeous revolvers I've ever seen.

Thanks! I figured that finding another 6" blue Python to replace the one I sold in 1992 was just a fantasy. I never thought I'd actually find a nice one for sale, have the money for it and then meet a seller that was as cool as the previous owner of this one was. Good timing (for once) on my part. The stars and planets must've been in perfect alignment.

w4qo13H.jpg

Last edited:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I do hope to get one once Colt starts making them again.

As much as I'd like to believe it, I don't see Colt ever building the Python again. Not many of the guys who built it are still around. Colt scrapped the machines and tools they used to build the Python when William Keys started running things (into the ground) in 1999. Production ceased completely in 2003.

The Python and the other I-frame guns it was based on were from a previous era, when technology was relatively expensive and labor was comparatively cheap. The Python is from a time when every part was hand fitted to the gun and was buffed to a high finish. Those skills are lost, the machinery that made the guns was scrapped and they aren’t coming back in the foreseeable future. I'd say we're more likely to see a return of the Anaconda than the Python.

Last edited:

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    As much as I'd like to believe it, I don't see Colt ever building the Python again. Not many of the guys who built it are still around. Colt scrapped the machines and tools they used to build the Python when William Keys started running things (into the ground) in 1999. Production ceased completely in 2003.

The Python and the other I-frame guns it was based on were from a previous era, when technology was relatively expensive and labor was comparatively cheap. The Python is from a time when every part was hand fitted to the gun and was buffed to a high finish. Those skills are lost, the machinery that made the guns was scrapped and they aren’t coming back in the foreseeable future. I'd say we're more likely to see a return of the Anaconda than the Python.

I totally agree, and that's a shame.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I totally agree, and that's a shame.

It's still fun to think about the ensuing pandemonium in the gun media and in local gun shops if Colt announced they really were building the Python again. Can you imagine? MSRP would be ridiculous and many would probably end up on GB at 2-3x list price. That, in turn, would significantly increase the value of the old ones and on and on it would go: perpetual price inflation with no end in sight.

Rumor has it, Colt has 'rooms full' of parts for Pythons up there in Hartford, CT somewhere. I'm not sure what constitutes 'rooms full' but that's what I read somewhere. Great! Now all Colt needs to do is go look in the scrap heap for all the tools and equipment to build a Python and re-hire all the craftsmen still living (and willing to come out of retirement) who know how to build them. That's all. Piece of cake, right?

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    It was a fair price considered by all. I'm glad it found a good home. I am a Smith and Wesson man. But Zzzzz_Man is right, Pythons are special. They are just not my passion.

Beautiful gun you sold. I thought your asking price was very reasonable considering what others are asking for them. And if I didn't have one already, and had not recently acquired several other pieces...;)

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    Beautiful gun you sold. I thought your asking price was very reasonable considering what others are asking for them. And if I didn't have one already, and had not recently acquired several other pieces...;)

I am passionate about guns. I don't believe in gouging and I think karma comes back around. I've overpaid for some guns and I've underpaid for some nice guns. In this case, Zzzzz_Man got what he wanted and I happened into a Smith I've been trying to find for a while.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Sweet looking Python, my friend. Looking forward to a few trigger pulls, although it's in such good condition, I still think that you should consider keeping her in the safe.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom