• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Krucianking

Mar 4, 2019
    Bowie, MD
    Can I buy this have it shipped to a local ffl PSA AR-15 COMPLETE LOWER - MAGPUL CTR EDITION - BLACK, NO MAGAZINE - 49177
    Black Magpul CTR AR 15 complete lower receiver and then have any upper I chose shipped directly to my home? The lower is from palmetto arms.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Yes you can. Or you can go to your FFL and see what they have in stock.
    You will have to fill out a 77R and wait 7 days to take possession.
    Any part, other than the lower can be shipped directly to you.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    Part 1 Yes.
    Part 2 No................Since this lower comes with a rifle stock installed you cannot put a pistol upper on this unless you first change the stock to a brace (kind of defeats the purpose of buying with stock) or you've already acquired an SBR tax stamp! The upper you select for this must be MD compliant assuming you live in this state? Upper must have 16" barrel or pinned and welded 14.5" plus muzzle device = 16"+ total length. Barrel must be advertised as H-Bar or Heavy target unless it's not 5.56. I believe alternate calibers such as 300 BO, 6.8SPC, 6.5 grendel etc are not required to be H-Bar.

Last edited:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    357Max is correct. The reason for the pistol stamp comment is due to the stock on the lower. That is used for an SBR, thus needing a stamp. What most people due for a short barrel is to replace the stock with a brace, put a pistol upper on it, pew pew until your stamp comes back, then replace the brace with the original stock for the SBR configuration.

there is no HBAR requirement for calibers others than .223/5.56 barrels.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    I may be wrong on this assumption, but wouldn't the FFL that does the transfer have to record it as a rifle if it comes with a rifle stock on it? If so, it could never be legally be reconfigured as a pistol correct?
    This would be good to know for future ref.

I've only bought stripped lowers and made sure they were not recorded as a rifle so I'd have the option.

OP might be better off buying it without the stock.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I may be wrong on this assumption, but wouldn't the FFL that does the transfer have to record it as a rifle if it comes with a rifle stock on it? If so, it could never be legally be reconfigured as a pistol correct?
    This would be good to know for future ref.

I've only bought stripped lowers and made sure they were not recorded as a rifle so I'd have the option.

OP might be better off buying it without the stock.

It's still an other on the 4473. It's not a rifle until it's made into a rifle.

If you buy a complete lower with a stock you can pull the stock, put on a SBA3 and put a pistol upper on it.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Your post 3 edit will make my additions to your number three original post moot.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    Your post 3 edit will make my additions to your number three original post moot.

A lot of people don't read all the way to the end so I hate to leave a post out there with bad info. I was apparently miss informed that a lower with a stock could not be registered as other.

Since we don't know OP intentions for his build or his level of MGA convoluted gun law knowledge. The more clarity the better. Your additions are completely valid and applicable if the intent was to build an SBR.

OP really highlights how easy it would be for someone new to gun building to inadvertently become a felon.

Glad he joined the forum and asked the question.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I was thinking of buying a lower from palmetto a while ago. I believe that Palmetto won’t accept an order for a lower from a resident of Maryland. The do however accept orders from dealers in Maryland. So if you really want a certain PSA lower you’ll have to get a dealer to order it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom