• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    :thumbsup:

I'm not splitting a payment on a lease for my share ($2,000.00 for example) just to drive umpteem miles to kill a deer or two for all year.

Hunting is not supposed to be cost prohibitive for the average Joe - American.

I can agree with this. Who wants to pay into something over the top just to have some goons show up and do dumb stuff. Muddy the lane up, dump frickin corn all over the place then do a four wheeler rodeo.

All that time, effort, money and somebody shows up blows a nice one away and they're out of there.

I watch this same circus go down every year and just laugh about it anymore. This is Americana at its best. The line at the Cambridge Royal Farms going out the door like a Who concert.
    Trucks with trailers stuck in the ditch, everybody in Preston walking their property line to make sure it's still at where it was last year, the Amish killing a "cheap stag" and then getting breakfast with them at Millie's.

Next thing you know,John Bolton's evil twin is practicing Soviet style land re-distribution tactics and Chesapeake lease reparations just to take guns away and let up roader's ride some horses when the killing should be going on down at the branch stand.

What the hell is going on? Kind of takes the fun out of some of it I think.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I can agree with this. Who wants to pay into something over the top just to have some goons show up and do dumb stuff. Muddy the lane up, dump frickin corn all over the place then do a four wheeler rodeo.

All that time, effort, money and somebody shows up blows a nice one away and they're out of there.

I watch this same circus go down every year and just laugh about it anymore. This is Americana at its best. The line at the Cambridge Royal Farms going out the door like a Who concert.
    Trucks with trailers stuck in the ditch, everybody in Preston walking their property line to make sure it's still at where it was last year, the Amish killing a "cheap stag" and then getting breakfast with them at Millie's.

Next thing you know,John Bolton's evil twin is practicing Soviet style land re-distribution tactics and Chesapeake lease reparations just to take guns away and let up roader's ride some horses when the killing should be going on down at the branch stand.

What the hell is going on? Kind of takes the fun out of some of it I think.

I don’t disagree. However, that’s where the public vs private comes in. Don’t want to deal with a lot of that, then it’s buy private land or lease private land.

Unfortunately if it is public land, you have to deal with the other people using it. Now if they are misusing it, report them. Hopefully DNR will take care of it. We know plenty of times they won’t. If an ecosystem is too fragile to deal with some of the hunters and fishermen being uncouth louts and not taking care of it properly then it shouldn’t be open to hunting and fishing, period. Not only open to those who can pay enough.

I bought the house I just moved in to in part because I can bow hunt on the property. A couple of friendly neighbors to it, but some of it is good to go with safety zones even if they weren’t okay with it (4.4 acres). I absolutely still plan to hunt public land if someone is willing to invite me (and I am happy to give back however I can) hunt on other private land also.

Hell, I’ll probably get the central MD permit again and go hunt over in Potapsco state park because it’s less than a mile from my house even though it means dealing with my horse folk neighbors who drive me up a damn wall.

If it wasn’t my house, I can’t afford to buy access to hunt. I certainly can’t justify the expense to my wife or to myself right now. And I just don’t have a lot of time usually. My wife’s pissed last year I took off work for the early and late gun season to hunt greenridge and the eastern shore respectively. More time and money than she was happy with me putting in to it and I stayed in dirt cheap motels. Driving an hour each way instead of 30 minutes is a huge difference in my ability to get out in hunt. Hell, 5 minutes vs 20 makes a big difference (Potapsco vs Patuxent).

Access doesn’t just mean is it available at all. It also means how convenient it is. Increasing access increases the likelihood people will remain or become hunters. It also increases how often they are going to hunt. It also dilutes those idiots (and the good ones too) over more land so you are less likely to have orange walking through your line of sight at every turn if you are hunting public land.

I’ve got no issue with public land being by else or lottery where it makes sense. But again, if access and size aren’t an issue, it shouldn’t be by lease or lottery, it should be open to the general public either open, or at worse daily check-in quotas. If something changes about a tract, then it’s status as lease or lottery land should also be examined.

marc0nline

Mar 24, 2019
    Southern Maryland
    A hunter that refuses to stand up for their 2A rights deserves to have their guns taken. See, this is the problem. Those who choose to sit on the sidelines are NOT always hunters. I know 2 guys at my work who own nothing but Glocks and ARs and they do NOTHING for gun rights support. Hell, they don't even vote. Yet here you are, labeling hunters as Fudds. ALL hunters resent the term Fudd. You do know that, right? Even those who are neck-deep in political activism. It implies an incompetent hunter; doesn't matter how you intend it.

2) If you don't see the correlation between our gun hating AG and removing hunters with guns from the state's lands then you haven't been paying attention to what Frosh and his sycophants have been doing to ALL gun owners"removing hunters with guns"???? That's just stupid. Nowhere is it saying hunters with guns are being removed. I hate Frosh, but let's not sensationalize everything.

3) This isn't opening up more hunting property for just anyone..there will still be a lottery and people will still have to be selected to be able to hunt...GOOD!!! Let's open up the land for other TAXPAYERS to use what they pay for.

I couldn't of said it better.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    This is basically the hunting equivalent of opening up the HOT lanes on the Beltway to all traffic. Instead of only people who pay the tolls getting to drive on them, everyone can drive for free. Eventually, all the lanes will be equally clogged! :D

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    ...Interesting that some of you side with a gun grabbing Attorney General.

...Frosh is as anti hunting as they come. Enjoy supporting him!

Even a blind chicken gets a kernel once in a while, even though I don't like to admit it. And as others have pointed out, it was a DNR decision, not the AG.

Get over yourself, m'kay? :deadhorse:.

Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    When you start the discussion by insulting your audience, you have lost the battle. My friend. Maybe call us hunters, outdoorsmen, waterfowlers, etc. But starting off with “hey Fudds” all I see is another person making the discussion more polarized and less effective.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    When you start the discussion by insulting your audience, you have lost the battle. My friend. Maybe call us hunters, outdoorsmen, waterfowlers, etc. But starting off with “hey Fudds” all I see is another person making the discussion more polarized and less effective.

a) I agree.

b) Username checks out. (kidding, ironically)

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011

It's been noted (by me.....several times).

We are in the minority here and... it's a waste of keystrokes to point it out. There are ACTUAL shooters (like myself and others whom hunt and/or shoot literally weekly all year long),... then there's the internet warriors who clean their ARs and type about how they're prepared to kill anything that moves in or near their home. :sad20:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

You've gotta consider the source. The OP has a well-established pattern of coming on here every other month or so and inciting insurrection and reminding us (as if we needed to be reminded again) that he intends to go to war against anyone who tries to take his guns away. Whoop-de-fvcking-doo. Anyone who isn't as angry and militant as himself gets labeled a, 'Fudd' or worse so take the BS with a grain of salt. ;)

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    This is no different than applying to use a state maintained waterfowl blind.
    Public forest land should never have been closed to the public in order to lease it to the highest bidder. Period!
    OP thinks it is unfair to him that his participation in a system that denies use of public lands to the public is coming to an end.
    Uhh, Dude. It's PUBLIC land not yours.
    If one invests money in maintaining leased land it is a gamble and there is no guarantee that it will be there beyond the the contract date. The case could be made leasing public land to clubs is denying the public of their rights.
    Of course, I'm not special like some, I'm just a FUDD who shoots ARs, FALs, M14s, Garands, 19 century Military Antiques, Trap, Sporting Clays, and pistols so numerous it is too tedious to list. But hey, I'm just a deplorable FUDD because I want Public land to be open to the PUBLIC, not an entitled few.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    This is no different than applying to use a state maintained waterfowl blind.
    Public forest land should never have been closed to the public in order to lease it to the highest bidder. Period!
    OP thinks it is unfair to him that his participation in a system that denies use of public lands to the public is coming to an end.
    Uhh, Dude. It's PUBLIC land not yours.
    If one invests money in maintaining leased land it is a gamble and there is no guarantee that it will be there beyond the the contract date. The case could be made leasing public land to clubs is denying the public of their rights.
    Of course, I'm not special like some, I'm just a FUDD who shoots ARs, FALs, M14s, Garands, 19 century Military Antiques, Trap, Sporting Clays, and pistols so numerous it is too tedious to list. But hey, I'm just a deplorable FUDD because I want Public land to be open to the PUBLIC, not an entitled few.

Dont forget your bayonet in case you have to gut one.:) Real Fudds always have a bayonet handy that doesn't fit any rifle they own. I always have one handle wrapped in para cord stuffed between the seat and console. Usually part of it ground off just because I can. I don't know why I just do it. Right next to the fixed antique 4x Kmart scope for doing quick antler checks while I'm riding around chewing Red man and tailgating female rookie drivers before I hop into the woods on MY farm.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just to be clarifying the original topic ; Are any leases being * Terminated * , ie the State unilaterally ending a lease before the contracted end dates ? Or simply expressing that the State will not renew existing leases upon their conclusions ?

Hey there ! Surplus bayonets were inexpensive , well made, good steel , for a medium to large field and utility knife . And if the tip were damaged, duh ! , of course you round off the jagged break to make a usable, if usually more rounded tip . And duct tape fixes broken/ loose handles, just like it fixes everthing else . And damnit , 4X really is the optimum magnification . providing useful magnification , with decent field of view . And everything else equal, fixed is lighter, clearer., and more compact than variables . But tailgating is rude and unsafe, and Brown Mule tastes better than Red Man

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Just to be clarifying the original topic ; Are any leases being * Terminated * , ie the State unilaterally ending a lease before the contracted end dates ? Or simply expressing that the State will not renew existing leases upon their conclusions ?

Apparently those leases are year to year with a 'evergreen' provision that they renew for two additional 1 year terms if neither party cancels. See section 1.1.1 in the document below.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/forests/Documents/chesapeake/HUNTCLUBLEASE.pdf

The older leases may not have had the hard termination after a specific date, and that's the change that gets folks excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom