• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    If you really want a 10/22, They're $199 at Dick's right now for the base model (blued with wood furniture). Talk to one of the IPs though and see if they can price match that as you'd do better to give Engage or United your business than a big-box store.

Or, if you lived in PA, today was the day. $50 cheaper than Dicks (if ever there was a store with a more fitting name.....)
    http://www.tropgun.com/pdfs/OutdoorSale.pdf

Sold out already, though.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Why? So you can deal with cruddy factory extractors, persnickity choices in ammo, and factory mags that fail to index properly in the first two years on your first gun?

I had a Ruger 10/22 stainless with synthetic stock that I bought back in '02 as my first personally purchased firearm. The day I traded it, and $250 more of my hard-earned cash for a Springfield G.I. .45 was one of the most relief-filled moments of my life. I got rid of a lemon and picked up one of the most reliable pistols I ever owned. I know there are plenty of people who love the 10/22, but there are also plenty of people who hate them as well due to bad experiences like mine.

If you really want a 10/22, They're $199 at Dick's right now for the base model (blued with wood furniture). Talk to one of the IPs though and see if they can price match that as you'd do better to give Engage or United your business than a big-box store.

I personally loved my marlin tube fed 22 way better than my 10/22 killed many coons with it wish I never sold it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Either I'm jinxed, or the Emperor has no clothes . Two 10/22's , and both of them unreliable . Marlin M60 or M795 never had a problem.

Nah. Everybody's first gun should be a bolt action single shot .22 . With iron sights. No , I'm not joking .

Overslimplified lesson of gun store economics -

What you paid has nothing to do with it , for better or worse. What matters is dealer's estimate of it's retail value as a used gun . He want to purchase from you such to be able to markup 50% ( aka 2/3 of used value.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally like Lever guns. Most will shoot most ammo including shorts and CB caps. Bolts are likewise.
    I did buy a S&W 15-22 a couple years back. First semi auto 22 I owned although I've since acquired a Browning Auto 22.

Last edited:

Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    Nah. Everybody's first gun should be a bolt action single shot .22 . With iron sights. No , I'm not joking .

So true in retrospect.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV

So true in retrospect.

My First Gun was an M16A1 then an A2 then 1911 then Beretta 92 then M60E3 then a M249 SAW then M240 E1 then a 50 Cal then a MK19 40mm Grenade Launcher then a M203 Grenade Launcher, 60mm Mortar then 81 mm Mortar SMAW then 25mm Chain Gun or Bushmaster then a DRAGON MISSILE then a TOW Missile. Now Retired I have yet to own a Bolt Gun and though my wife has a Ruger 10/22 Take Down.

Plus I wouldn't take any advice from NUTNFANCY...or Youtube until I can get my Hand on the Weapon and get some real advice from actual users...

I would just keep it and Buy a 10/22 and call it a collection...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Plus I wouldn't take any advice from NUTNFANCY...or Youtube until I can get my Hand on the Weapon and get some real advice from actual users...

I would just keep it and Buy a 10/22 and call it a collection...

+1

Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    "Don't even think about another one. Just one is enough. If you want more then we need to sit down and reconsider everything. So get it out of your system that you want more"

If I go up in caliber down the road, surely she won't notice.
    Right?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    REVOKED

Attachments

• Man Card revoked.jpg
      Man Card revoked.jpg
      17 KB · Views: 204

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

I actually wrote a blog post about that a few years back. I specifically mention the Remington Model 33 because it has the added feature of requiring you to manually pull the firing pin back by hand to cock the rifle. Great trainer because it teaches you patience and control with that extra step.

On target
    Gotta look at their hours tho. Hopefully they're open.
    If not, Gilbert in Rockville

When you get tired of paying high prices for indoor ranges with short lanes, head on up to Frederick and hit up Cresap Rifle Club. They're open to the public on Sundays. Some of the Range Safety Officers can be a bit snarky, but they're responsible for everyone's safety and as a private club, they have a lot to lose if someone gets hurt on a public day. $8/shooter and $1/target with no time limit.

I'm a MoCo resident as well, albeit literally a stone's throw from the Frederick County line, and Cresap is where I tend to go for pistol and rifle. For shotgun I head over to Tuscarora Gun Club in Point of Rocks for trap, skeet, and 5-stand.

"Don't even think about another one. Just one is enough. If you want more then we need to sit down and reconsider everything. So get it out of your system that you want more"

If I go up in caliber down the road, surely she won't notice.
    Right?

Guns are like potato chips, you can't have just one!

Given you're new to gun ownership, I'll help you out here. The average non-gun owning woman tends to lose track after 5 guns in the house. 5 rifles, 5 pistols, 4 and 1, 3 and 2, doesn't make a difference, once you've worked your way to that number, you're home free. She won't be able to tell the difference between an AR-15 and a FN-FAL so when you own one of the two, but walk in with the other one day, she won't know the difference.

Once you have that requisite 5, buy an inexpensive stack-on gun cabinet. 10 gun cabinets can hold at least 14, possibly more if they're sporting rifles and not big, heavy military surplus ones. The stack-on allows you to keep your guns out of her sight, making it easier for new ones to infiltrate your stock over time without arousing suspicion. The drawback to this is that you will eventually need either a bigger safe/cabinet, or another one. You can explain that away by saying it's to keep your ammunition separate/locked up for safety. Non-gun chicks dig you keeping all your dangerous stuff locked up tight.

If your significant other's suspicions are aroused, it's good to have a friend who you refer to as a "gun nut." This person should own many guns. That way, if you're walking through the door with a brand-new K-31 or Browning over-under shotgun and she says "is that a new gun?!" You can respond with "Oh, this old thing? That's *insert friend's name here*'s gun. He's letting me borrow it for some range time later so I can see what it's like." Alternatively, if your friend is okay with you impugning his character, you can claim that he's having trouble getting it to cycle/fire/feed properly/sight in and that he asked you to see if you had the same issue. She will never think to check if it ever made it back to your "friend's" house instead of your cabinet/safe.

If all else fails, you can always bluff if you've got a good poker face. "This old thing? Hell no it's not new! I've had this thing for years, you've seen it before a hundred times!"

Trust me, this works:
    Family%20Photo.jpg

That's a tiny collection BTW, most guys on here would say that's a "good start."

She'll eventually come to understand that there are worse habits you could have. As my buddy's wife says, she knows enough people whose husbands have spent the same kind of money on alcohol, drugs, and gambling addictions so she's rather happy that her husband just squirrels away guns and ammo.

Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    They should teach these things as part of HQL or the safety classes.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    I learned most of it from reading the old Patrick F. McManus stories in the back of Field and Stream as a kid. :innocent0

When was about 9 or 10 the public library had books of his essays. I checked one out because the title sounded funny. As I was reading it, my mom wondered why I was laughing so hard and took the book. After reading it and laughing herself, she told me to feel free to read anything he wrote.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    When was about 9 or 10 the public library had books of his essays. I checked one out because the title sounded funny. As I was reading it, my mom wondered why I was laughing so hard and took the book. After reading it and laughing herself, she told me to feel free to read anything he wrote.

He kept on writing up until just a few years ago. Some of his later books are really great and go more in depth into the reality of his childhood in Idaho. "The Horse in My Garage," "The Bear in the Attic," and "How I Got This Way" are all great reads that are a little less fantastical than his earlier compendiums. There's 4 or 5 murder mystery books he also wrote about "Sheriff Bo Tully" that take place in the area around his home town that are also pretty good (fiction of course).

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    Pffft.. a 15-22 is a blast to shoot.. get over the looks and no, I don't own a 10-22, but I do own a couple of Savage bolt 22's. My 15-22 is scoped, suppressed and I have a couple of Black Dog 50rd drums for it. Ever wanna shoot over in the Marriottsville area, just let me know.. :lol2:

See what he said. Case closed. Move on.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Tell the wife if you can only have one gun she can only have one pair of shoes. :D
    You should probably rather quickly duck after saying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom