• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I did mine on a mill and used a 5/16" ball end mill to cut the barrel block, using the jig, just as I cut the rail blocks off. It allowed me to keep the lower in the jig, not have to stand it up on end (where it would flex a lot trying to mill it) and just mill the barrel block section out. Worked like a champ. :D

I also did drill from both sides like they said, but after I was done, I removed the jig and just ran the drill back through the holes all the way from one side to ensure they were properly aligned (they were close, but not perfect).

Function test is good, all seems to be working perfectly..

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I did mine on a mill and used a 5/16" ball end mill to cut the barrel block, using the jig, just as I cut the rail blocks off. It allowed me to keep the lower in the jig, not have to stand it up on end (where it would flex a lot trying to mill it) and just mill the barrel block section out. Worked like a champ. :D

I also did drill from both sides like they said, but after I was done, I removed the jig and just ran the drill back through the holes all the way from one side to ensure they were properly aligned (they were close, but not perfect).

Function test is good, all seems to be working perfectly..

That's a great idea on the 5/16" ball end mill, I will definitely give that a try next time. Where can I pick one up..??

I did pretty much the same as you, drilled from both sides like they tell you to, but when I started putting it together the trigger pin was being really stubborn and I didn't want to force it, so I took all the parts out and put the bare frame back in the jig, then I pushed the drill in without it spinning all the way through from one side to the other and started drilling slowly while running it in and out a little, then I turned the jig around and repeated the process from the other side. Everything went together smooth as silk after that.

With a brand new G23 slide and barrel on mine things are still a little tight, but it cycles factory ammo flawlessy. For my handloads I had to drop the #17 factory recoil spring down to a #15 or I would get frequent stovepipes. I attribute that to the handloads being on the mild side, and I expect things will loosen up and break in before long and I can just use the #17 spring for everything.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I order most of my tooling from MSC, sometimes McMaster Carr, but MSC prices are usually a little better.

Here is a link to 5/16" ball end mills from MSC Direct... https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...8246955&searchterm=ball+end+mill&sortby=price

The 5/16" matches the corner radius pretty well at the bottom of the barrel block. I milled down into the center and then worked the edges and corners to get things pretty even and smooth. Even with the jig in my mill vise it still had a little movement, so go slow and take small cuts to avoid any catastrophes... lol

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I order most of my tooling from MSC, sometimes McMaster Carr, but MSC prices are usually a little better.

Here is a link to 5/16" ball end mills from MSC Direct... https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...8246955&searchterm=ball+end+mill&sortby=price

The 5/16" matches the corner radius pretty well at the bottom of the barrel block. I milled down into the center and then worked the edges and corners to get things pretty even and smooth. Even with the jig in my mill vise it still had a little movement, so go slow and take small cuts to avoid any catastrophes... lol

Thanks for the link and advice. That movement is the problem I had with the end mill they supplied with the kit, it had a tendency to "bite" a little, which would make the jig and vice jump, and that's not a good thing because you can end up removing a chunk of material where you don't want to in the blink of an eye. I could give the ball mill a shot and see how it goes, if I'm not confident I can use it without screwing it up I can always use Mr. Dremel lol.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I did pretty much the same as you, drilled from both sides like they tell you to, but when I started putting it together the trigger pin was being really stubborn and I didn't want to force it, so I took all the parts out and put the bare frame back in the jig, then I pushed the drill in without it spinning all the way through from one side to the other and started drilling slowly while running it in and out a little, then I turned the jig around and repeated the process from the other side. Everything went together smooth as silk after that.

I will try this next time

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Point of interest to those who may have purchased the Midway frame parts kit that was linked in the other thread. It includes an extended Glock mag release and it stuck out waaaay too far for me, so I took a file to it (still need to dress it up a little) and now it's just about perfect!

First pic, mag fully inserted, second pic, mag catch just released...

Attachments

• IMG_3798 small.jpg
      IMG_3798 small.jpg
      124.8 KB · Views: 371
    • IMG_3799 small.jpg
      IMG_3799 small.jpg
      129 KB · Views: 369

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Point of interest to those who may have purchased the Midway frame parts kit that was linked in the other thread. It includes an extended Glock mag release and it stuck out waaaay too far for me, so I took a file to it (still need to dress it up a little) and now it's just about perfect!

First pic, mag fully inserted, second pic, mag catch just released...

You're right they do stick out quite a bit. I purchased the extended mag release intentionally, this gun is never going to be holstered, and for a range gun I don't mind it sticking out like that. I also added an Apex Tactical trigger, 6 lb. trigger spring, extended slide release and slide lock lever, a Vickers Tactical grip plug, and the mag has a Pearce floor plate with a pinky rest extension, these last two help fit my large-ish hands a little better.

Attachments

• DSCF1842.jpg
      DSCF1842.jpg
      77.6 KB · Views: 715

Rhino

Dec 6, 2008
    Mount Airy
    Just got notice on Monday that Lonewolf is sending the compact frame I ordered back in December. The rest of the build arrived today, 80% should be here by Saturday. Already built a full size, can't wait to get this one together.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.jpg
      IMG_0597.jpg
      103.8 KB · Views: 366

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You're right they do stick out quite a bit. I purchased the extended mag release intentionally, this gun is never going to be holstered, and for a range gun I don't mind it sticking out like that. I also added an Apex Tactical trigger, 6 lb. trigger spring, extended slide release and slide lock lever, a Vickers Tactical grip plug, and the mag has a Pearce floor plate with a pinky rest extension, these last two help fit my large-ish hands a little better.
    Agreed, for a range gun, competition gun, etc, it's really convenient, but... I want to carry mine and there is no way that sucker would go in and out of a holster, let alone still keeping the mag in the weapon.. :lol2:

I do have the extended slide release and I like that, it's pretty low profile and works great. I may add the extended slide lock lever, but the std one works fine for me.

I have to run a grip extension on the 10rd mags I run in my 30, same reason and they work great. I can get by with this frame fit, it's fine for me and I am going to add a ZEV mag well to it next week when it gets here. I think I'll just have it about perfect then. :thumbsup:

Did a little refining, just about perfect now, though I have a little more I can take off if need be...

Note to self... remember to deburr the pin holes next time.. they really look bad blown up like this... :lol2:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 5 small.jpg
      FullSizeRender 5 small.jpg
      215.1 KB · Views: 356

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Just got notice on Monday that Lonewolf is sending the compact frame I ordered back in December. The rest of the build arrived today, 80% should be here by Saturday. Already built a full size, can't wait to get this one together.
    I think you will be pleased with the upgrades to the compact over the original 17 frames.. :beer:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Sweet parts! You're gonna have a sweet pistol!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Just got an e-mail from Midway that they have the Poly80 Glock 19 frames in stock for $150. They have the LPKs as well. I am tempted to get another but I'll prolly wait for a different color.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    So the G17 frames state that they have a 1911 grip angle, do the compacts have this also?

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    i ordered a compact from lone wolf last sunday. it arrived on thursday afternoon and I immediately went to work on it. I milled down the deny rails to about 90%, then did the rest with a file, then 600 grit stone, then 2000 & 3000 sandpaper so they would be nice and smooth. Then I did the pin holes and the barrel seat. All together took about 30 minutes to complete the faux-glock 23.

Doesn't look too bad!

I can't wait to get it to the range.

Attachments

• IMG_0972.jpg
      IMG_0972.jpg
      121.1 KB · Views: 226
    • IMG_0969.jpg
      IMG_0969.jpg
      117.5 KB · Views: 242
    • IMG_0981.jpg
      IMG_0981.jpg
      111.9 KB · Views: 228
    • IMG_0984.jpg
      IMG_0984.jpg
      117.8 KB · Views: 229
    • IMG_0986.jpg
      IMG_0986.jpg
      50.9 KB · Views: 226

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Nice builds guys! Very nice! Yes, I need to move as well... :lol2::lol2:

Got the final piece from the postman today, finally. I'll get an updated pic up later, working on firewood while it's nice out this afternoon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom