• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    I'm working with a LWD 17 slide and the LWD 19L barrel and adapter Until my optics ready slide becomes available.

When I first installed the slide it was a little tight.
    When I checked it with a straight edge it looked good.
    But I got a little more finicky and and held a machinist's rule flat to the rear rail it was a little high to the front rail probably less than a 32nd.

What I did was take a long flat hard stone and stoned everything into an even plane.

Stone was a fuzz rougher than I liked so I then polished them all flat with 1500 paper and polished with flitz and a dremel cotton wheel.

I found even on a single rail they are not very flat and have a lot of high/low spots.

Mine is "buttery" smooth nary a hiccup with a stock 17 recoil spring in the first 100 rnds of 115 S&B will try handloads soon.

Last edited:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD

After reading all these posts and different peoples experiences with various issues etc., I've come to the conclusion that the one constant in all of this is that each one these builds is unique in it's own way, but there's enough people doing these that there is a wealth of information available to cure almost any problem, and that's a good thing IMHO.

+1 :thumbsup:

What I did was take a long flat hard stone and stoned everything into an even plane.

Stone was a fuzz rougher than I liked so I them polished them all flat with 1500 paper and polished with flitz and a dremel cotton wheel.

I found even on a single rail they are not very flat and have a lot of high/low spots.

More good info! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    It's a fun project. If it was too easy I wouldn't learn as much. I am tempted to try that dremel polish trick. I bought a dremel for this project so it only seems right to try it. I think it came with a buffer and paste.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Polymer80's Facebook page says they are shipping the Readymod frames to dealers starting today (4/11/17).

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    FWIW, I replaced the slide lock spring (that I had trimmed) with a factory new one. I deburred it with a pocket stone and used a 3/32 punch to seat it. It took quite a bit of force using the punch, but it seated just fine.

While I was at it, I degreased the rails and slide with alcohol. I completely stripped the slide and removed grease, oil and dirt from all of the parts. I basically followed the routine hickok45 did in his videos.

So my next time at the range will be with a fairly dry setup. :fingerscrossed:
    I did get a new spring, tried to install it and after a few minutes I went back to the old, slightly trimmed spring, cause it works great and I don't want to have to beat the new one into submission.. :lol2:

I also added an extended slide stop from Fixxer, love it!

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I did get a new spring, tried to install it and after a few minutes I went back to the old, slightly trimmed spring, cause it works great and I don't want to have to beat the new one into submission...

FWIW, I used a pocket stone to knock down the sharp edges on the new slide lock spring on the end that gets inserted. I didn't hammer it. I seated it with the punch in my one hand and the spring held in place with a finger from the hand holding the frame against the bench.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    It's a fun project. If it was too easy I wouldn't learn as much. I am tempted to try that dremel polish trick. I bought a dremel for this project so it only seems right to try it. I think it came with a buffer and paste.

Do it, just be careful not to get it too hot or you can melt the polymer, don't stay in one place for too long.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    FWIW, I used a pocket stone to knock down the sharp edges on the new slide lock spring on the end that gets inserted. I didn't hammer it. I seated it with the punch in my one hand and the spring held in place with a finger from the hand holding the frame against the bench.
    Thanks, I may try that, but I'm too busy working on my Sig build now.. lol (and besides, the slightly shortened spring is working well so far).

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Haven't found a great holster yet. I can say Bravo concealment does not fit.

Have a custom carry concepts gastault for g17 that has fit the best so far. Still looking myself, custom kydex will prob be the route to go.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Haven't found a great holster yet. I can say Bravo concealment does not fit.

Have a custom carry concepts gastault for g17 that has fit the best so far. Still looking myself, custom kydex will prob be the route to go.

It won't fit a Bladetech Revolution either, at least not with some fairly significant modifications. I think it's going to be hard to find any off the shelf plastic holster that is going to fit very well without some mods, the shape of the trigger guard on the compact is just too different than a standard Glock, and it gets in the way unfortunately.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have two that work for the G19 version, a Sticky LG2 fits it well and a Theis that is actually for my G30 that it fits pretty well (both are IWB). Working on a kydex holster from a contact on IG, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet on it... :envy:

Jano

Jul 11, 2016
    did the new p80 textured. g19 uppper on it but when i pull trigger slide almost always locks back. took off slide and noticed when I pull the trigger it forces slide lock lever to rise causing slide to lock when gun fires. help anyone

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    did the new p80 textured. g19 uppper on it but when i pull trigger slide almost always locks back. took off slide and noticed when I pull the trigger it forces slide lock lever to rise causing slide to lock when gun fires. help anyone
    Read this thread... your answer lies within.. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom