• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The wife and I headed out the "Golden Mile" just a day or two ago to get a few last things for our son from Toys R Us when I saw that there's an H-Mart going in on the north side of 40 east of the old Frederick Towne Mall.

Not sure if you guys have ever shopped at one, but it's a Korean chain of supermarkets and they're pretty awesome. Way more fresh produce than you'll find in a regular supermarket, tons of different cuts of meat at pretty good prices, and a much larger variety of seafood than you typically find at a market other than Wegman's or Whole Foods. Unlike a lot of other Asian supermarket chains, they tend to be clean and they don't sell "seconds" from the butcher.

Anyway, I'm excited about it going in as it beats the hell out of the only other two in the area which are in rather sketchy neighborhoods in MoCo. Also looks like it'll be much bigger than the others, more along the lines of the Super H-Mart in Fairfax.

Also looks like a new WaWa went in over that way as well. Here's hoping some revitalization happens.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    sketchy?

I wouldn't necessarily call the Wheaton or Germantown H-Mart locations sketchy unless you are paranoid of being struck by a car. The worst drivers in the county can be found in those H-Mart parking lot! It's part of the multicultural experience.

It's still Montgomery County--it's not like going to PG, Anacostia or Harlem.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    H Mart has been coming for almost a year. Ironically, it's replacing a G Mart that lasted about a year. It was originally a Giant.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yeah Gmart was great while it lasted. I hope, eventually, an Asian grocery store opens again there. My Mom and Grandma loved Gmart.

Asian stores remain the best bargain for vegetables, meat, and those odd dry goods you can't find anywhere else. We truck out to Ellicott city once a month to shop the Korean grocers. Ignore "the smell" all Korean-owned grocery stores have and all will be well.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I wouldn't necessarily call the Wheaton or Germantown H-Mart locations sketchy unless you are paranoid of being struck by a car. The worst drivers in the county can be found in those H-Mart parking lot! It's part of the multicultural experience.

It's still Montgomery County--it's not like going to PG, Anacostia or Harlem.

Wheaton, not as sketchy, but driving there sucks. The Gaithersburg H-Mart location is sketchy though, mind you, it gives me an excuse to go to Harbor Freight. G-Town is Lotte Plaza, which is inferior to H-Mart. ;)

This was the first I saw of it going in. They've got an "Opening Soon" sign up now. I hope it does well.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Yeah Gmart was great while it lasted. I hope, eventually, an Asian grocery store opens again there. My Mom and Grandma loved Gmart.

Asian stores remain the best bargain for vegetables, meat, and those odd dry goods you can't find anywhere else. We truck out to Ellicott city once a month to shop the Korean grocers.

Yep! And they make quick meals a snap too. Especially the marinated ribeye (Bulgogi) short ribs (Galbi/Kalbi) and Chicken (Dak Galbi). Get a pan nice and hot, add a little oil, sautee that stuff up, throw it over some rice with a little mat kimchi..... Korean food is totally under-rated IMHO. It's becoming a lot more popular now though, which I think is great. I was in heaven when Honey Pig and BonChon opened up in G-Town. Ate at the BonChon up in Frederick across the way from Wegman's the other night. Food was fantastic, but they lack a beer license at this time. They are BYOB right now though, so that helps. I just can't find anywhere in the area to buy Cass, Hite, or OB to bring with me though.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Is it the Korean grocery stores that organize aisles by products in alphabetical order? I swear, I was working in Lawrenceville, NJ awhile back and needed some filters for my drip coffeemaker. I went to the nearest 'grocery' store that GPS directed me and landed at an Asian market there. Pretty cool, actually, but the other patrons were looking at me like, "what the hell is he doing in here?" I figured filters would be near the coffee, like any other grocery store but I'll be damned if I could find them. I finally asked the lady behind the butcher counter, "Where are the coffee pot filters?" and she said, "Paper aisle!" OK, found the paper aisle...and there they were, right between the Kleenex and the Kotex! :D

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yep! And they make quick meals a snap too. Especially the marinated ribeye (Bulgogi) short ribs (Galbi/Kalbi) and Chicken (Dak Galbi). Get a pan nice and hot, add a little oil, sautee that stuff up, throw it over some rice with a little mat kimchi..... Korean food is totally under-rated IMHO. It's becoming a lot more popular now though, which I think is great. I was in heaven when Honey Pig and BonChon opened up in G-Town. Ate at the BonChon up in Frederick across the way from Wegman's the other night. Food was fantastic, but they lack a beer license at this time. They are BYOB right now though, so that helps. I just can't find anywhere in the area to buy Cass, Hite, or OB to bring with me though.

You'll be seeing a lot fewer stray cats and dogs around that area if they do have a hot bar. Funny thing when I was stationed in Korea. People there don't think twice about eating dog, cat, pigeon. Drank plenty of OB beer. That whole area of town going to hell. Before the mall folded use to have a Chi-Chi's restaurant, Ruby Tuesday across the street.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    This is good news since I have reason to be in Frederick once in a while and don't have reason to be in Catonsville anymore. Thats the bad part about my territory/position change, I don't get to travel through MD, DE, NoVa and C-PA. It's just C-PA now with our warehouse in Frederick. East rt 40, got it, thanks.

craftsman_69

MDS Supporter
    Jul 26, 2015
    AA
    I take my wife to the Hmart in Ellicott City across the street from Lotte Mart. The seafood selection and prices are cheaper than anywhere else to include the Commissary. The restaurant is pretty stinking good for Korean food and sushi.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    The parking lot at Lotte in Ellicott City makes the drivers at H-Mart look like professionals...

We switched to H-Mart, but sometimes still go to Lotte in Catonsville. Selection is great and prices are good at H-Mart.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I take my wife to the Hmart in Ellicott City across the street from Lotte Mart. The seafood selection and prices are cheaper than anywhere else to include the Commissary. The restaurant is pretty stinking good for Korean food and sushi.
    My wife loves that H-Mart too. Very clean relative to other Korean groceries and excellent prices on vegetables and fruit. We actually like the food court in the Lotte complex, especially the place at the very end, great fried rice options as well as hot stone pot dishes.

Curious how much inventory they'll actually stock in the Frederick store as it's a much shorter drive for us.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I live about 10 minutes from the Wheaton HMart. The produce is generally high quality but the store is too crowded and the parking lot is nucking futs. That said, I have no qualms about driving out to Iron Age on Rockville Pike for Korean BBQ. Their ambience sucks but the food is delicious.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Curious how much inventory they'll actually stock in the Frederick store as it's a much shorter drive for us.

Given the size of the plant and property, I'm assuming it'll be pretty decent. At least as big as the Catonsville H-Mart, maybe a bit bigger. Definitely larger than the small H-Marts in Gaithersburg and Wheaton.

I live about 10 minutes from the Wheaton HMart. The produce is generally high quality but the store is too crowded and the parking lot is nucking futs. That said, I have no qualms about driving out to Iron Age on Rockville Pike for Korean BBQ. Their ambience sucks but the food is delicious.

Honey Pig in Germantown (in the plaza at 355 and Germantown Rd.) is pretty great. The ambiance is good in the sense that there are a ton of people and it's raucous on a weekend evening. Not much to look at with concrete floors, corrugated steel on the walls, and K-Pop videos playing on the tvs, but it does make you feel like you're in a happening place. Best spicy pork bellies I've had.

Will they have roof top Koreans?

Honestly, most Koreans that I know personally are roof top Koreans all the way. The booth for the IWLA Rockville chapter at the MoCo Ag Fair the day I was there was manned exclusively by Asian gentlemen.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015

Asian stores remain the best bargain for vegetables, meat, and those odd dry goods you can't find anywhere else. We truck out to Ellicott city once a month to shop the Korean grocers. Ignore "the smell" all Korean-owned grocery stores have and all will be well.

'The smell'... the H-Mart locations my company services all have the most atrocious grease traps, especially seafood..

Pretty cool chains though

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I've heard H-Mart is pretty awesome but I really can't wait for when Frederick gets an S-Mart.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

87be47290fcc3fa02dc0d6fae882c5c96dff7ff1301e8bc81a4e3fb8d1c171fe.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom