• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cyclone

Jr. Zombie Killer
    Jan 25, 2010
    Rosedale, MD
    The weekends usually are fine when there is a RSO on duty. I have every other Friday off and like to go then. That's when I usually see a lot of bad behavior. Weapons being handled on the line when it's supposed to be cold and people are downrange. I always try to politely state the safety rules whenever I see unsafe acts. Most people will usually stop what they're doing and apologize or at worst stop and give me the dagger stare.
    One time 2 guys came hustling up loaded down with multiple rifles when the line was cold and started pulling them out of the cases and setting up on the bench. I told them they shouldn't be handling them with people down rage.
    Their reply, " It's OK, they're not loaded"
    Exit, stage left!
    Firearms are possessed!!!

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    I took my wife to Elk Neck on Sunday 8/25. When we arrived at the pistol range I observed a man who had 4 kids with him and none were older than 11. 1 of the kids was shooting while the other 3 were milling about. As if this were not concerning enough, the man gets on his cell phone and takes a call. I did elect to shoot, however, and no safety officer observed. I have been to the range about 5 times this year and have only seen a RSO once.

tkelley

May 25, 2013
    north east
    I go a lot and have seen a rso only a few time this year. There are some GUYS that will show up and be slightly wild. Most of the time just be nice and point out the safety side. My son and I were just there and there was a group shooting from the rear rails.
    They calmed down pretty fast.

JADCecil

May 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    I go a lot and have seen a rso only a few time this year. There are some GUYS that will show up and be slightly wild. Most of the time just be nice and point out the safety side. My son and I were just there and there was a group shooting from the rear rails.
    They calmed down pretty fast.

At the rifle range!?

Wombat Rancher

Aug 21, 2013
    I can only comment on the rifle range, but I have only seen the RSO once all year(for all of 2 minutes). On the plus side, every time I have been there everyone has been good and safe, have yet to have an issue there.

JADCecil

May 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    My experiences have been positive which is why I am surprised to hear about the above related to shooting from the "back" of the position. Incredibly unsafe. :sad20:

Chris05STi

Jul 15, 2012
    I have seen RSO's at the range from time to time. They are there and also pop up requesting permits. One only complaint I have are the roads, can they please grade the road to a smoother surface?! Other than that, I love that range, just wish we could shoot steel or have a pit or something. Shooting paper is getting really old!

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I have seen RSO's at the range from time to time. They are there and also pop up requesting permits. One only complaint I have are the roads, can they please grade the road to a smoother surface?! Other than that, I love that range, just wish we could shoot steel or have a pit or something. Shooting paper is getting really old!

That's tradition. That trail has been like that for forty years.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Elk Neck

I was on the Elk Neck pistol range today around 10:30 - 11:00. I was alone for a little while plinking away on my new Beretta. Well folks did eventually start showing up and one guy set up his target outside the baffles because someone he was with was in a wheel chair. I felt bad about it, but I let him know he couldn't do that and he started getting defensive asking if I was an RSO. I told him no, but the baffles are there to help prevent ricochets.

Not sure how you RSO's feel about this, just want to let you all know it happens. I was talking to a few of the other guys there and they said it's not the first time they have seen that. Pretty sure that is a 'no no'.

Same guy walks out to change his target on a hot range with no cease fire called. I went off the deep end a little bit on the folks there because it just seemed he had no regard for the rules or safety and no one else would speak up. I probably looked like an ass but that is ok. I should have asked to see his permit. I would have bet my next paycheck he didn't have one, just seemed like that type of person. Anyway I gave everyone a good scolding about range safety and the posted rules then packed it up and left.

Not sure how I feel about the public Elk Neck range anymore. Been there a handful of times and honestly from what I have seen, I don't think it is an "if", but a "when" it will eventually close - which really is a shame. It probably is a minority of people that aren't representing the shooting community well, but they are the ones that make the news. Part of the problem are folks who know better but won't speak up when they see it happening. Well that is my rant and I think I might look into a private club.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I almost passed out laughing, and had crab pretzel coming out of my nose, as I was drinking out of my new MDS glass! Priceless! Apparently guns - at least "Plaxico's" - do kill. Will share!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom