• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I want to use Win 296 powder and the Hornady 240 gr. XTP Mag bullets.

They don't have info in the Hornady manual for firing the bullet in a rifle and I don't want to use the handgun load. I'd rather start at a mild load and work my way up if I want to.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    With 296 ( &H110 ) , do not reduce to less than 90% Load Density .

296 is a good powder, and does what it does . Flexibility to download is not one of them.

What velocity level are you seeking ? ( Hint-.454 in a light weight rifle is one of those combinations where the gun can handle more that is required for intended purposes , or is generally desireable.)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You probably won't find any rifle specific data for.454 . But there really isn't any need or point for it.

The SAAMI pressure for it as a handgun is 60k CUP . You certianly aren't going to load it hotter for a rifle . For that matter, a Fredom Arms revolver is probably stronger than a lever action rifle.

And due to case capacity, significantly slower powders wouldn't give higher velocity than the usual suspects of magnum pistol powders .

A potential avenue to explore in a rifle would be compressed loads of rifle powders on the order of 4198 . Wouldn't give higher vels, but you would be searching for low velocity spreads and good accuracy.

Now for more and different data that might be of intrest to you ( would be to me in your shoes) is data for .45Colt in Ruger and Contenders. Lots of published data at 30-32k pressure . Should be giving 1500-1700fps with 240-260gr in your rifle.

It's more obscure, but there is some data out there for .45Colt in custom bug cylnder 5 shot conversions at around 40k pressure.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Never mind. I found some loads that I think I can live with.

I think the guy who had this was only shooting factory loads and they had way too much recoil for him to like shooting.

I'll post my results.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That's "only" 36k pressure, and that is the published starting load . The published max is 38.6gr at 55k pressure.

If you wished to be experemental you might be able to get away with dropping a cpl tenths and still have consistant ignition, but WW296 needs to be well into mid thirties .

If you want meaningfully reduced loads, you need to use different powder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom