• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Skunk for gun season this year for me and the oldest. I passed on a few deer at my home stand because I'm waiting for this guy. I'll shoot some does on the farm or other properties hopefully.

Attachments

• 20191214_162642.jpg
      20191214_162642.jpg
      85 KB · Views: 443

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Skunk for gun season this year for me and the oldest. I passed on a few deer at my home stand because I'm waiting for this guy. I'll shoot some does on the farm or other properties hopefully.

Wow, what a buck! Sorry you and your son, weren’t successful. Hopefully, you both have better luck in the later seasons.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Last week, I checked off a bucket list item: taking a deer and catching a large fall rockfish in a single weekend. The fishing, or rather catching, was last Wednesday, and the successful hunt was on Saturday; close enough.

On Wednesday, I caught a 29-inch striper, which was close to, if not my personal best on a jig. The fishing was nothing short of epic, and several times, we saw gannets crashing into the water one after the other. The second to the last image below is of one of the "gannet storms".

On Saturday, I was hunting in Frederick in a rifle-allowed area where a six-point buck walked out into meadow right at sunrise and 15 minutes after I was settled into the stand. The deer fell right where it stood after a clean shot with a Remington 700 and was checked in before noon. I will not be hurting for rockfish fillets or deer bologna anytime soon.

Quick question: why did you hang it by the front legs? I've read several sites where most people recommend hanging them from the hind legs. Something about draining to the head is better for how the meat will taste.

Good question. I've only taken two deer in my life, but I'll discuss this and look into it with my brother in law, who is a seasoned hunter as well as a veterinarian. We may learn something.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Good question. I've only taken two deer in my life, but I'll discuss this and look into it with my brother in law, who is a seasoned hunter as well as a veterinarian. We may learn something.

Good deal! I'd love to know what a "professional" has to say about it.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm striking out on my buddy's small property this year. Limited to bow only, and the deer are there but I can't figure out their trails. Seems I always pick the wrong one and see them 75 yards away.

If anyone has room on a lease in St. Mary's or nearby for 2020, please pm me. I need somewhere for shotgun and muzzleloader seasons.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country

One problem with hanging from the rear legs is the drainage gets caught up in the chest cavity under the ribs instead of dripping to the ground. Hanging from the front legs allows better drainage.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Interesting.

I've never seen a processor or anyone for that matter, hang a deer from the front legs.

I'd want everything to drain away from the hams not towards them.

My humble $.02

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I hang them from the rear legs so the hind quarters don’t collect pooled up blood. Everything just runs out the throat and into the blood bucket.
    Plus you can pull the hide down over the head to separate it and then have the sides ready to cut in half with a meat saw after you remove the loins from the bottom up in case you have let them go for a little bit.
    We also keep a little bucket of rock salt on hand to rub on your palms for a no slip grip.
    All the waste just gets dropped in the blood bucket or sled which goes right into the tractor bucket before it hits the manure shed.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    One problem with hanging from the rear legs is the drainage gets caught up in the chest cavity under the ribs instead of dripping to the ground. Hanging from the front legs allows better drainage.

Usually it drains out the mouth assuming you removed the esophogus. But there is a bit of pooling down there initially.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Usually it drains out the mouth assuming you removed the esophogus. But there is a bit of pooling down there initially.

I processed my deer yesterday and for that I turned him around and hung him from the rear legs. I hang him the other way initially so that when I was the cavity down with buckets of water it rinses all out and doesn't collect gore in the chest cavity. It doesn't drain fast enough through the esophagus for me. Whether its the correct way or not I don't know, but it works for me.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I always hang my deer by the hind legs. After skinning and cutting off the head, I cut the rib cage from it's belly to the throat, helps prevent any extra pooling.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Deer were on the move this afternoon. Saw 18 in three hours. Also watched 3 small bucks sparring with each other. Two would go at it, then the third would run one off and jump in. They repeated going back and forth for about 20 minutes. Not shooters, but certainly entertaining to watch.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I hang them from the rear legs so the hind quarters don’t collect pooled up blood. Everything just runs out the throat and into the blood bucket.
    Plus you can pull the hide down over the head to separate it and then have the sides ready to cut in half with a meat saw after you remove the loins from the bottom up in case you have let them go for a little bit.
    We also keep a little bucket of rock salt on hand to rub on your palms for a no slip grip.
    All the waste just gets dropped in the blood bucket or sled which goes right into the tractor bucket before it hits the manure shed.

Rock salt? Interesting. I go through a lot of paper towels; especially use them when gripping the hide when skinning.

That sucks. Looks like you caught a little one or caught it low, just the bumper caved in?

It was an adult doe. I was doing about 60mph. So far looks like bumper, brackets, fog lights, airbag, and the bumper might be into the trans cooler.

I almost nailed a large doe with my 'Taco a couple of nights ago not 50 yards away from my house. :sad20: Then I almost got rear ended a split second later by someone following me too closely.

Would've been a double whammy.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Rock salt? Interesting. I go through a lot of paper towels; especially use them when gripping the hide when skinning.

I almost nailed a large doe with my 'Taco a couple of nights ago not 50 yards away from my house. :sad20: Then I almost got rear ended a split second later by someone following me too closely.

Little button buck I’ve been “befriending” who lives right by my house who is just feed ran out in front of my car while I was driving up the street about 300yds from my house. Missed his back legs by about 2 feet.

Ungrateful little f-er. I was letting the little guy live for another year or two till he’s bigger and worth an arrow. But nooooo.

Still hanging around my place.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa

I worry about that and slow down so they get pissed and pass me by. I pulled off a road and let a couple of cars pass me by. One of them was a county sheriff or deputy. He quit following the other car and followed me for about a mile. Then he pulled off and turned around. That stretch of road is bad for deer running in front of cars.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    It was an adult doe. I was doing about 60mph. So far looks like bumper, brackets, fog lights, airbag, and the bumper might be into the trans cooler.

A car was following too close last year and I slowed down so it got tired of me driving slow and passed me. About five miles later the car was sitting on the side of the road. It was a lady who hit a doe and it totaled her car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom