• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    So, I’ve been working on my AR build very piecemeal for over a year, and I’m finally getting down to the wire. I think I’m down to my final noob questions and/or assumptions I’d like to validate with you guys. After the enjoyment of the lower build, and wanting to spread out my expenditures, I decided to build my upper as well. It’s been a BLAST!!! It’s like Christmas when a new box shows up!

I’ve read what I could, and one particular tip I wasn’t sure was a good idea. Here’s my plan and questions, followed by some real remedial stuff:

Put “never seez” compound on the upper receiver/barren nut threads. This seems like a good idea, will a generic product from the auto store give the same results?

Red Loctite the barrel extension into the upper receiver. Read this in a book, but have never heard anyone else suggest it. I was NOT planning on doing this. Thoughts?

Barrel nut torque – I think I can borrow a torque wrench, but if not is there a rule of thumb that most would find acceptable? Like “make it a little less than as tight as you can, then move forward to the next hole to line up for the gas tube” or “hand tight then go 90 degrees, then keep going till the next hole is in line”, etc..?

Gas block – my gas block has set screws, was thinking of using a drop of blue loctite to keep it in place? Make sense? Anything else to know?

Free float tube – I’m using a RRA free float aluminum handguard. Should I use a couple drops of loctite (blue) or just rely on getting a tight bind with the locking nut?

Iron sights – this rifle will eventually be scoped, but I need to learn to use the irons first. So I’m looking for a reasonably priced set. Are the MagPul sights as good as their mags?

Simple noob stuff:
    Dry fire – seems ok from my reading
    Releasing BCG on an empty chamber – I was concerned about this, but the interwebz seem to indicate this isn’t a problem with an AR

I think that’s it for now, any thoughts would be appreciated. Pics to follow final assembly!!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm sort of new to AR15's also (My lower half is finished, I'm waiting on the barrel)
    Whatever you do: DON'T use Never Seize, the graphite in it will corrode aluminum, use grease instead.
    Good luck with your project!

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I'm sort of new to AR15's also (My lower half is finished, I'm waiting on the barrel)
    Whatever you do: DON'T use Never Seize, the graphite in it will corrode aluminum, use grease instead.
    Good luck with your project!

That's exactly the kind of gotchas I'm trying to avoid!! Thanks! Good luck on yours too!!

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The magpul sights are great. Low profile, relieable, lightweight, I use them on both AR's, the lady will have one on hers soon. The apture is clearer on an iron sight but still the Magpuls are perfectly fine.

When I dont have a round in the chamber usually use the charging handle to ease the bolt forward. Slapping the catch I dont think is an issue but just me personally I ease it forward. I dont ***** foot it but just so it doesnt slam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom