• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Some pretty decent deals at that pawn shop on shotguns; saw some 1100s in the list for rather a lot less than retail. Since I'm also looking for a first cheaper shotgun for shooting sports and visit my parents in NW Baltimore a fair bit, I'll hijack the thread a bit and ask:
    1. Are there any special tricks to determining a shotgun's condition, or will my experience with rifles and handguns (both modern and C&R) keep me in reasonably good stead?
    2. How do I determine if a choke is removable or not?

For number 2, look at the muzzle. If it's removable, it will be obviouse.

Other than that, check for rust, the usual stuff. Ask if they can field strip the shotgun before you buy it, check for rust and if the action is smooth.

Jim

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    I stopped in NorthWestern Pawn today during lunch. Not my favorite neighborhood... parking sucked, but I found a meter.

the store is packed with tools and tvs and bikes and stuff. I asked about guns and was directed to the back. they had a small section of shotguns and rifles on display. I talked to "Rick" He went and got the list and suggested I go see the "gun room"
    I followed him through a maze of stairs and dimly lit attic past shelves full of everything you could imagine. I swear if he wasn't there it would have taken 15 minutes to find my way back out.
    the gun room is way up in one section of the attic locked up tight. Inside were TONs of rifles and shotguns. So much that is was overwhelming. Here are a few that I liked:
    INV#1551 Remington Wingmaster 870 magnum 12 gaa 28" vent rib with case - this gun was in really nice shape. it almost looked new. Asking $399
    Did find this on the site, though,
    INV#1557
    Mossberg 500A 12GA Pump
    28" Vent Rib; 2 3/4 / 3"; Accu-Choke
    $ 169.50
    I saw this one also. To me it looked a little to well worn. The slide felt a little loose. Inside it seemed a little dirty/dusty, even though the action seemed to operate smooth.
    INV#3032 Marlin 336 30-30 lever action rifle for $299 - I really liked this for some reason even though I don't know much about them. I liked the way it looked and felt.
    There were a few others that looked decent and 870 for $239 another 870 Magnum for $269. Thy had a lot of kmart, sears and Montgomery Wards branded shotguns, quite a few double barrels.

Overall I wasn't crazy about anything. the Wingmaster mentioned was the niicest, but not in the price range I wanted. I didn't consider anything also to be a super deal. I don't know if there is an expectation to bargain or not, but the prices seemed a little higher than expected. for example if the well used Mossberg 500 had been $125 or $140, I probably would have it now

Rick was very nice and helpful and patient with all my looking. If you go, I would recommend studying the list ahead of time and focusing on a few guns at a time.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    re :department store shotguns like Monkey Wards or Sears Ted Williams brands --all were made by regular well known gunmakers - do a little research and those can be a bargain - generallly sell for less than the name brands - but they are same gun--bargains can be found there esp. if you want to chop it up into a house gun- the guy on the muzzle end wont know it came from Sears - Kmart or Western Auto- he will be blinded by the muzzle flash anyway.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    re :department store shotguns like Monkey Wards or Sears Ted Williams brands --all were made by regular well known gunmakers - do a little research and those can be a bargain - generallly sell for less than the name brands - but they are same gun--bargains can be found there esp. if you want to chop it up into a house gun- the guy on the muzzle end wont know it came from Sears - Kmart or Western Auto- he will be blinded by the muzzle flash anyway.

Ted Williams branded guns are Winchesters.
    JC Higgins guns are High Standards.
    Revelation pumps are Mossbergs.
    New Haven are Mossbergs.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Best quality of the cheap guns are 870s, period. Know what you are buying before going into a pawn shop. Some pawn guns are priced right, while others are off the wall. Don't be reluctant to make offers at pawn shops. Chances are they have little to nothing in the gun and want to move it.

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    I am partial to Mossbergs, because that's what I started with. I love working on them and am actually rebuilding one now that I picked up a while ago at Arundel Pawn in Glen Burnie for about $200 (turkey barrel had to go, but the wood was NICE). They are easy to work on and very forgiving. I think you could trust a used one even if you had to put a few bucks into it (shorter HD barrel, new stock, etc.) and you would know your weapon better. Guns are like cars...get to know them inside and out, take care of them, and they will love you back. If it is a HD shotty, then that love will be priceless.

That said, my sister picked up a Charles Daly 870 copy for less than $200 a few years ago and gave it to my brother in law as a gift; they took it out of the box, loaded it and put it in the closet. I took a quick look at it and it seems just as good as any 870 riding in some squadcar.

You could have piece of mind and a new gun for $300 and never think about it again. But it sounds like you have been looking for "just the right gun" and that says something. You'll know it when you find it. Get the manual and take it apart, scrub off the rust, and get to know the old girl.

Good luck!

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I am partial to Mossbergs, because that's what I started with. I love working on them and am actually rebuilding one now that I picked up a while ago at Arundel Pawn in Glen Burnie for about $200 (turkey barrel had to go, but the wood was NICE). They are easy to work on and very forgiving. I think you could trust a used one even if you had to put a few bucks into it (shorter HD barrel, new stock, etc.) and you would know your weapon better. Guns are like cars...get to know them inside and out, take care of them, and they will love you back. If it is a HD shotty, then that love will be priceless.

That said, my sister picked up a Charles Daly 870 copy for less than $200 a few years ago and gave it to my brother in law as a gift; they took it out of the box, loaded it and put it in the closet. I took a quick look at it and it seems just as good as any 870 riding in some squadcar.

You could have piece of mind and a new gun for $300 and never think about it again. But it sounds like you have been looking for "just the right gun" and that says something. You'll know it when you find it. Get the manual and take it apart, scrub off the rust, and get to know the old girl.
    Good luck!

:thumbsup:

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Don't overlook a winchester 120. They have 3" receivers, and the wood isn't as nice, but otherwise you can't tell much of a difference between one and a winchester 1300.

Mav 88 Mossbergs, and Remmy 870's are other safe bets.

Gotta post picks once you get one

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Don't overlook a winchester 120. They have 3" receivers, and the wood isn't as nice, but otherwise you can't tell much of a difference between one and a winchester 1300.

Mav 88 Mossbergs, and Remmy 870's are other safe bets.

Gotta post picks once you get one

120 Ranger is a workhorse. Not as "slick" as some others, but a dyed in the wool genuine Winchester in every sense.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Work buddy got a Maverick 88 from Continental Arms. His has an 18" or 20" barrel for home defense use.

The gun shoots nice, doesn't beat me up when I have shot it. Not the smoothest pump, but then again it is only 3 months old. Some older guns are just smoooooooth.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I found Northwestern Pawn to be over priced the one time I went in. I had a list of the ones I wanted to look at. Part of the problem with that place is the guns rust easy up in the attic. They don't spray them down with gun oil when they stick them up there and they get rusty and dirty. He would move guns out of there fast if they were priced right. Oh, btw, if you want to off load your old TVs go see them. they have enough to fill every home in Bloodymore. I asked him if he was now stuck with all the TVs because of digital etc but he said no, they sell fast. I would bet not with as many as they have.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There is the Stoeger line of econobenelli's. Other than that the 870 has the capability for mag extensions for resident goose or HD. The 500 is good with the 18" barrel an 5rnds. I am a big fan of folding stocks for HD and adjustable stocks for seasonal wardrobe adjustments and young shooters.

I have had a Stoeger P-350 pump (31579), for over a year and have no issues with it at all. I believe I paid $280 plus tax for it at Timonium last year.

DB

SNovaTac

Mar 9, 2011
    Southern MD
    It may be outside of your price range, but may I suggest the Benelli Supernova? I have a HD model with a pistol grip stock and I love it. Not to step on tzoid's toes, but he's selling his Supernova for a more than reasonable price considering what he's done to the shotgun. Check it out:

http://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=5299

Hopefully this forum doesn't get too tired of me promoting the Supernova. If you want to spend a little less money, a buddy of mine has a Benelli Nova and he seems really happy with it as well. Look around and get what feels best to you though. Mossberg and Remington make some great shotguns for their price. Good luck!

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Haters gonna hate. I like my NEF Pardner Pump, which is a 982/Chinese 870. Got it 'used' (I believe unfired) for something ridiculous, I wanna say 160 or 180. When it's got over an ounce of lead coming out the other end, I'm not really so concerned with how refined of a weapon it is. I've got a BT-99 for impressing people (until they see me shoot trap :innocent0)

BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    After reading good things on the 870 I went and picked one up last weekend. Nice gin brand new under $400. It's the express model with 7 round tube. I'm still trying to find a place to shoot it. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom