• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Had a buddy give me this in some trading. He says it's a cacano or something. He don't know much about it. It needs a magazine he says. Any value? What'd be a realistic price I could sell it for. Hoping it's enough to justify the little work I done in exchange. Hope these pics work....

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Looks like it has been seriously "sporterized". Italian Carcano... can't tell the specific model from the pictures (they are small).

Two most common calibers were 6.5×52mm Carcano and 7.35×51mm Carcano.

Not worth much in the condition its in. I'd say $150 - 200ish max.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Thanks for the help!! He did say it was a 7.35 or something. Even at 150 I'd be happy to get close to 100 lol. I guess I did ok maybe.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Yep,

it's a bubba'd M38 Carcano. It's a variant of the M91/38. There were two calibers: 6.5x52 (M91/38) & 7.35X51 (M38). Here's a link to some interesting reading: http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/

Unmolested stocks and the missing metal arent too hard to find. Springfield Sporters may be able to help with parts to un-bubba the rifle.

$100 would be a reasonable price.

Good luck.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Thank you much!! He said a pawn shop offered him 75....I'll see which one it was. I have no use for this lol.
    I'll sell it for ammo or AR odds and ends lol.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The magazine is built in, but it uses en bloc clips, sort of like a Garand. Without a clip. it's a single shot.

Here's a nice picture of a couple Carcano carbines with some clips. The entire clip loads into the magazine, and drops out that big hole in the bottom when the last round is loaded.

You can get new clips from Numrich for $5.80 each. Originals are $10 to $15 on e-bay.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/499620

TwoCarbinesAccess.JPG

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Threeband is correct as usual. Carcano rifles need enbloc clips. Otherwise they are single shot rifles.

Years ago I picked up a batch of clips for $3 each to use in the M91/38 in 6.5X52 Carcano I de-bubba'd. 7.35's use the same clip. It was a fun project and I learned a lot. The rifle still gets a little range time occasionally.

Quad, you may not want to deal with the rifle's restoration project. But, before you pass on it send me a PM. Not that I need another project, but I don't yet have a 7.35 M38 Carcano...

;)

Attachments

• DSC01829 M38 SNIP.jpg
      DSC01829 M38 SNIP.jpg
      21.1 KB · Views: 309
    • Dsc03164 SNIP.jpg
      Dsc03164 SNIP.jpg
      23.4 KB · Views: 310

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Threeband is correct as usual. Carcano rifles need enbloc clips. Otherwise they are single shot rifles.

Years ago I picked up a batch of clips for $3 each to use in the M91/38 in 6.5X52 Carcano I de-bubba'd. 7.35's use the same clip. It was a fun project and I learned a lot. The rifle still gets a little range time occasionally.

Quad, you may not want to deal with the rifle's restoration project. But, before you pass on it send me a PM. Not that I need another project, but I don't yet have a 7.35 M38 Carcano...

;)

turned out nice. not sure if i asked you before I think its come up in a pm with combat and i. I've been looking for a year now trying to find a stock for a fat 41 any idea's

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County

;)

Very nice rifle there!! You did a great job. Me, no I don't want any parts of restoration. I wouldn't do it correctly and only make it worse. In all honesty, I had already thought of painting it. I really don't have the interest or knowledge to put the amount of work into it to make it nice.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Wow...after looking at Joes rifle I can see what's been done to mine. Don't know why they'd do something like that to a rifle. I much prefer the look of the non bubba'd rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom