• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Picked up a few Promag 10 rnd magazines cor the carbine. They didn't work. I had to file the two punched out catches significantly to get them to seat. Anyone else had issues lime this? It's a WWII M1.

Q

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Picked up a few Promag 10 rnd magazines cor the carbine. They didn't work. I had to file the two punched out catches significantly to get them to seat. Anyone else had issues lime this? It's a WWII M1.

Q

I can’t say I have, but I haven’t touched promag. Their cabine mag reviews most places seem to hover around a 2 out of 5. Unfortunately I don’t think KCI makes any 10 rounders. I’ve got a couple of “who knows” 5 rounders. One works fine, one is a jam-o-matic. I doubt I can find new springs for them (at a guess they are 40+ years old.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I can’t say I have, but I haven’t touched promag. Their cabine mag reviews most places seem to hover around a 2 out of 5. Unfortunately I don’t think KCI makes any 10 rounders. I’ve got a couple of “who knows” 5 rounders. One works fine, one is a jam-o-matic. I doubt I can find new springs for them (at a guess they are 40+ years old.

Yeah, this is to tide me over to the next out of state gun show for KCI 30s and 15s.

Q

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I love the M1 carbine, I just wish ammo was a bit cheaper.

We got our hands on an Inland Manufacturing Paratrooper, pretty sweet gun :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D9Qc9vCQIU

Reload? That's what I've been told to do. It is supposedly really easy to do because of the straight wall cases. But with a good sale and stuff it can be had for around $17 a box shipped (non-magnetic). That's not really cheap, but it is a heck of a lot less than .308.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Reload? That's what I've been told to do. It is supposedly really easy to do because of the straight wall cases. But with a good sale and stuff it can be had for around $17 a box shipped (non-magnetic). That's not really cheap, but it is a heck of a lot less than .308.

Definetly reload! Just make sure the case length is trimmed to SAMI specs. The 30 carbine can fire out of battery if you have a long case!!

As long as you pay attention to case length you should be able to reload quality soft point / HD ammo for a little less then cheap ball ammo.

Save yo brass!!

Worgenski

Mar 2, 2013
    Shot my friends WW2 M1 carbine a couple weeks ago. He got it from his father in law in NY who couldn't keep it because of their laws. I have added to.my list of guns to buy.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Gun Jesus just published a video on the M1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF0qH_zvfdU

it was interesting to learn about the mags and the recoil spring.

If you looked a little up thread I already posted the gun messiah’s interview :-)

It was really interesting to hear. It made me order a new recoil spring for my M1 carbine even though it’s been running like a champ with good magazines. Also finally ordered and replaced the springs in my 3 15rnd mags as I know 2 of the 3 were bad.

I don’t know the entire history of this carbine other than it was made in 1942 by inland and for at least probably 30-40 years (maybe longer) it lived in someone’s gun safe, they died and their son gave it to a friend who then sat around not using it much for years and then came to me.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Some will put down the .30 Carbine 110 grain bullet at 1900 fps but extoll the 9mm 115 grain at 1300 fps. Use a hollow point in the Carbine and it should perform just fine in a self-defense scenario.

Full disclosure...my uncle hit Omaha Beach in the first wave. He developed a severe dislike for the Carbine. He said he shot a German soldier and his exact words were "I hit the sumbitch three times and I bet he's still running!" My uncle said as soon as he could he dumped the Carbine and picked up a 1903 Springfield and carried that until a mortar round outside of St. Lo took him out. Everyone had a different experience with the M1 Carbine...many loved it and many didn't. Audie Murphy loved it...he carried what he called his "Lucky Carbine" and when its stock was damaged he wired and bolted it back together. His experience was positive.

The Carbine was intended to replace a pistol, not be a primary combat weapon but it sure found its way into front-line service.

Growing up I had a neighbor who was a WWII and a Korean war vet and LOVED his M1 Carbine.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    With all the talk of M1 Carbines, where are the sources of parts for the carbines that people use? Gotta keep them running.

Q

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    With all the talk of M1 Carbines, where are the sources of parts for the carbines that people use? Gotta keep them running.

Q

I would like to know as well. There was a guy who used to do many of the Maryland shows: PG Showplace, MoCo fairgrounds, Frederick etc. He advertised in Shotgun News as "PSW Sales" and I believe his name is Paul White. He had literally every part for M1 carbines sorted by manufacturer. Many a mismatch rebuild was magically transformed into factory matching with parts from those bins.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I would like to know as well. There was a guy who used to do many of the Maryland shows: PG Showplace, MoCo fairgrounds, Frederick etc. He advertised in Shotgun News as "PSW Sales" and I believe his name is Paul White. He had literally every part for M1 carbines sorted by manufacturer. Many a mismatch rebuild was magically transformed into factory matching with parts from those bins.

I remember Paul...he lives or lived not far from me when I was in Gaithersburg. I've no idea if he's still around or in business.

He's a great guy...did very good parkerizing and had most any part for a Carbine you could want. He could often build one for you while you waited at a gun show...he had all the tools to do so. He installed and headspaced a match barrel on an M1 Garand for me.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Ha, that *HAS* to be the same Paul White that is a member of MDTCA;) So he is still around. Very nice fellow.

Nice fellow indeed. I wonder if he still has parts to sell?

Is MDTCA the Maryland Thompson Collectors Association?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom