• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    who can replace a tie rod and do an alignment for me in the harford county area?
    I have a 2003 volkswagen Jetta.
    I will bring the tie rod but most places want like $450 for it.
    Im just looking for someone to give me a good price for a simple job. I would do it myself but i don't have the tools to do it.
    any offers would be good or if someone can recomend someone to do it.
    thanks guys

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    If your TRE is anything like the one that was in my '99 Passat, its an easy job. Hammer, pickle fork and a couple wrenches. Blast em with PB a week before you do it. Set your alignment with a caliper (measure before and set after). Then go get an alignment done.
    Do both sides at once.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've been selling building materials for 20+ years. Any questions just ask.

I have a buddy that is a top mechanic for a local dealer. He also works out of his house and has a lift in his garage. he currently charges 25 per hour. Lives in Edgewood. let me know if you need work done to your vehicle.

From another thread.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Also, if you don't end up finding someone to do it, the BEST place for VW / Audi work around the area (in my humble opinion) is NGP Racing, in Aberdeen.

http://www.ngpracing.com

They're good people, they won't dick around with you or your car, and their rates are decent as well. I've owned VWs / Audis for a looooong time, and they are the only place I take them.

gwhunter350

Gen 4 Glock 22
    Oct 18, 2009
    MD/DE
    Get away from the dealer... go to a gas station shop or even pep boys and have it done. 450 is ridiculous.

Alignment should be about 70 and r&r tie rod end no more then an hour labor

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Just so you know, he said he needed the tie rod replaced- not the end. According to Alldata "the tie rod can only be replaced after the steering gear is removed from the vehicle."
    Alldata list time to RxR steering gear and replace tie rod as 4 hrs.

$450 does not sound bad for the dealer to do that job.

Gotta love German engineering.:banghead:

Last edited:

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Call Chris Woodie at Bel Air Auto Service on Rt 1 and Whitaker Mill. I know him personally and use him for anything I can't do myself.

Bel Air Auto Service
    410-879-3950

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    Also, if you don't end up finding someone to do it, the BEST place for VW / Audi work around the area (in my humble opinion) is NGP Racing, in Aberdeen.

http://www.ngpracing.com

They're good people, they won't dick around with you or your car, and their rates are decent as well. I've owned VWs / Audis for a looooong time, and they are the only place I take them.

ngp is sweet.
    they have got some slammed cars out there.
    i think i might just have a member on here do it i know that works on vw

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    PM sent.

my buddy fixed the leaks on my transmission on monday night. He picked up my truck , took it home and brought it back 1.5 hours later. I had 3 places leaking. Pan bolts were loose, ( I should have checked that myself) speedo seal was leaking, he replaced it with one he had in the shop and then the seal that I thought was causing all the leaks( the one where the trans goes into the drive shaft) he replaced. He previously picked up the seal.
    When he told me how much I owed him I about flipped. He said 35.00 :sad20:
    I wrote him a check for 50 and told him to start paying himself. :thumbsup:

Then the next day I sold him a bunch of insulation though a local box store and saved him a ton of money. :thumbsup:

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    My best friend is a tech at NGP. THey know thier shit on VW/Audi up there.

Is it an inner or outter tie rod ?

The outter should be about an hour labor + alignment, the inner's warranty time is 2.5 hours, technically VW wants the rack pulled to correctly torque it. I never had to pull the rack to do the job, just had to make a tool to get in there.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    My best friend is a tech at NGP. THey know thier shit on VW/Audi up there.

Is it an inner or outter tie rod ?

The outter should be about an hour labor + alignment, the inner's warranty time is 2.5 hours, technically VW wants the rack pulled to correctly torque it. I never had to pull the rack to do the job, just had to make a tool to get in there.

Jeep, you know of any good VW shop near Valley Motors? (Cockeysville/Timonium) Aberdeen is just too far to drive.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Jeep, you know of any good VW shop near Valley Motors? (Cockeysville/Timonium) Aberdeen is just too far to drive.

No one I can personally vouch for. There are only 2 VW guys left at Valley I would trust.

Most of the people I know and trust have moved on from Valley due to lack of work and mis-management. Oddly enough they are all up in the Bel Air/Aberdeen area now.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Jeff G and Dan A. We all use to work at Valley Motors VW

Ahhhh, cool. I don't know them, since they're newer there, but some of the old crew - Nate, Dave Graf, I've known for years.

No one I can personally vouch for. There are only 2 VW guys left at Valley I would trust.

Most of the people I know and trust have moved on from Valley due to lack of work and mis-management. Oddly enough they are all up in the Bel Air/Aberdeen area now.

I've kind of heard that some of the good people were moving on from there, but it's always interesting to hear it from an insider too.

You on Vortex?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom