• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Finally picked up the MK9 I had on layaway for several weeks. I wanted something that would be good for CCW with my as-yet unused Utah permit. This is my first purchase with a particular purpose in mind beyond (I like that and want it). This one was slightly used and has the tritium night sites. It sat in the case for a few months tempting me until I gave in.

Reasons I chose the MK9
    • Small - almost the size of many .380's but it's a 9mm
    • Large enough? - sounds conflicting, but it's large enough with good enough sites to still be enjoyable at the range.
    • All metal - purely personal preference, but I'm trying to avoid polymer as long as I can.
    mk9.jpg

Range Report
    Went to Cresap directly from Gunrunners.
    Reliability - Had a few hiccups in the beginning but found that I wasn't seating every round securely to the rear of the magazine (:o I know it sounds obvious, but once I fixed that I had no FTFs.) One thing that did concern me was that on a few occasions the slide locked to the rear before the mag was empty. The previous round ejected fine, so I'm not sure what was going on there.
    Trigger pull - It's a pretty long pull but very smooth. There's about a quarter inch of takeup, then the resistance is very steady until the break. It'll take a little getting used to for me, I had a couple fliers down in the 6 o'clock region because a found myself anticipating the break. I'm used to single action on a 1911, so any long pull would be new to me.
    Accuracy - Note that I'm not a very good shot so take this for what it's worth, but I've attached the target from my first 10 rounds at 10 yds. (started shooting just a few minutes before the cease fire). The fliers came later, but overall I was very pleased. It came with the extended mag, with the flush mag there's no room on the grip for my pinky, so it will tuck under. I shot a few rounds with the mag removed to see how it changed things. There may have been a little more muzzle flip, but not super noticeable.

First priority is figuring out why the slide is locking and do some more reliability testing. The following steps will be to get the short mag that will be flush with the grip base for CCW and an IWB holster. Immediately afterward will be the getting the wood grips, man I hate the plastic grip panels.

mk9-target.jpg

Thanks for listening, and any thoughts on the slide lock issue would be greatly appreciated!

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Great range report!!

I've been reading that Kahr has a 200 rd break in period. Make sure you break it in before you carry. That's a sweet pistol, now you're making me want one!

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Great range report!!

I've been reading that Kahr has a 200 rd break in period. Make sure you break it in before you carry. That's a sweet pistol, now you're making me want one!

Thanks! Yeah, I've read also about the break-in. The word was the previous owner may have put 100 rounds through it, but I'm planning to treat it like new and put several hundred through myself. 9mm seems easier to find than .45 so it shouldn't take me too long! :D

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Thanks for listening, and any thoughts on the slide lock issue would be greatly appreciated!

Great gun. I'm sure you'll enjoy the gun. I have the Kahr CW9 myself (as you said personal preference & I like the polymer).

As to the slide lock issue, dunno if this is the same problem but another fellow had a similar issue in a recent posting thread in the Kahr Talk forum. You might want to check out that forum in general and that posting in particular. Try the following link and see if it helps you out, if not post a new thread over there. Friendly folks in that forum always willing to help.

http://kahrtalk.com/pm-series-pistols/2397-slide-locking-back.html#post26024

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Nice little pistol.
    Are you limp wristing the gun?
    Be mindful of your hand placement. YouR hand or finger could accidently be on the slide stop/release.

Ultimate Member
    I wish I had one, my LCP is worthless b/c .380 is so scarce.

I'd be nice to get one and load it up with 124gr Spear gold dots.

I have a glock 26 gen 3 and Springfield XD SC 9 with 13rnd mag, but that can't fit in a pocket like an LCP or whatever this Kahr is.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Nice little pistol.
    Are you limp wristing the gun?
    Be mindful of your hand placement. YouR hand or finger could accidently be on the slide stop/release.

Limp wristing!!! We need a manlier term for that like "recoil over absorbsion". I don't think so, but it's possible.

My thumb hitting the slide release is very likely now that you mention it. I was having a bit of trouble getting my hands comfortable, particularly my thumbs and left index finger (I'm right handed).

I'm anxious to get back to the range and test that theory, I'll see if I can re-create it and then avoid it. Thanks for the suggestion!

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Cool. Nice little piece. I've been using my Glock 19 with a Crossbreed Supertuck and it's great, but I would like something like that kahr mk9, or maybe even an LCP for pocket carry.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Cool!! I have a K40, I was also trying to stay away from polymer for as long as I could but fell victim eventually. :innocent0 I love my K40, it shoots as well or better than any pistol I own, very accurate. I get out of shape with it easily though, it's a little small in my hand and it's easy to pull shots with it for me. It is however one of those guns that just melts into your hand. I love the Hogue grips, they nailed it.

amish

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2008
    Fredneck
    sweet purchase. I had a chance to get a MK9 as well, used, for a great price. Unfortunately I didn't act fast enough. Definitely regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom