• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I'm going to forgo the BB's, too many issues with quality for the mix bb/pellet. I'm going to look at the other recs already here then start the search all over again

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Well then forgoing BB's and spending up to $150 I would consider the Benji 397 (.177) or 392 (.22) to be the best quality pumper out there at that price. At Crosman they are $172.99. If you use the AGNATION code you will get 25% off so $129.74. Now if you order on Friday and your total is $150 you get free shipping. Otherwise your shipping to MD is like $12. So you could just get the gun for $141.74 or add $20 in pellets or accessories and pay $150 total

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I'm going to forgo the BB's, too many issues with quality for the mix bb/pellet. I'm going to look at the other recs already here then start the search all over again

Ranchero50's suggestion is worth considering... you have two different roles you want to fill, so instead of compromising with 1 bb/pellet rifle, get a quality pellet gun and an airsoft rifle or pistol for the grandkids to start with.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I'd get a .22 piston Gamo for rodents. It's been much more reliable vs. the .177 Gamo I use and both were miles better than the cheaper stuff.

Well then forgoing BB's and spending up to $150 I would consider the Benji 397 (.177) or 392 (.22) to be the best quality pumper out there at that price. At Crosman they are $172.99. If you use the AGNATION code you will get 25% off so $129.74. Now if you order on Friday and your total is $150 you get free shipping. Otherwise your shipping to MD is like $12. So you could just get the gun for $141.74 or add $20 in pellets or accessories and pay $150 total

SWEET, i love coupon codes. THANKS. I've liked what i've been reading about the Benjamin air guns. So what would be the next step up from the multi-pump for consideration prior to purchase.

Ranchero50's suggestion is worth considering... you have two different roles you want to fill, so instead of compromising with 1 bb/pellet rifle, get a quality pellet gun and an airsoft rifle or pistol for the grandkids to start with.

Yeah I will most likely do this for the kids shooting practice / training. The size issue can probably be handled this way as well. Are there different manufacturers for airsoft that i should be looking for?

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    QFT. A .177 pellet will go completely through a medium sized rodent (chipmunk, squirrel)... a starling should barely even slow it down.

Head shot or belly drops them, wing bounces off. Must be some tough feathers on them because other birds just drop. My $400 RWS .177 break barrel will barely kill them but the kids Gamo .22 just bowls them over. In years past I'd shoot them off the dog food bowls at 20 paces but they've been scarce this winter.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Yeah I will most likely do this for the kids shooting practice / training. The size issue can probably be handled this way as well. Are there different manufacturers for airsoft that i should be looking for?

Self cocker's are affordable and some don't suck but most do. Battery power with hop up adjust are amazing. Again, money equals quality and fun. Accuracy and repeat ability costs. Sometimes fun does too. I don't care for the basic Co2 powered gas pistols but they do sound good when getting fired.

Low powered airsoft guns are similar to nerf guns that hurt a little when they hit. Tons of fun to run around the back yard zapping one another. I buy nerf darts for Christmas stocking stuffers. Good times.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    OOOOOOO, if the AGNATION works on http://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles/maximus-kit-22, i could get a starter PCP setup for $262.49. NO NO NO, i don't want to spend that much but ooooooooooooo. Please tell me the Maximus is not a good choice

Personally I would recommend going PCP (as the next step above pumpers), but just skip the pump route. Believe me when I tell you filling from a tank is WAAAAY more fun. I've got 4 PCP's right now, a 45min scba tank and a Shoebox compressor.

The maximus is is decent starter PCP that works well if you like to tinker. Will shoot just fine out of the box, but can be made so much better. I started with a Discovery (Disco) and benji pump. Graduated to a better pump and then to a tank and compressor. Now I've got a Taipan Mutant, 2 BSA'a and a home built QB79 running on HPA. If you are on friendly terms with your local fire house you can likely get your tank filled for close to nothing (a box on donuts every coupe trips there).

If you do go PCP, get ready as it's a disease......but a fun one.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    OK down to these two options

Benjamin Maximus for $262.49
    http://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-r...maximus-kit-22

or

Diana Stormrider Multi-shot PCP Air Rifle and HPA Pump Kit $2269.99
    https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_Stormrider_Multi_shot_PCP_Air_Rifle_and_HPA_Pump_Kit/4500/8772

I'd go with the Benji It's made in the US. I believe Diana is made in Germany. Also for customer service, as I said earlier Crosman actually has a US based factory operation. Crosman claims thirty shots per charge on theirs, not sure about the Diana but air bladder doesn't look too big to me.

I don't know about Diana, but speaking in general a lot of import airgun companies, even well-known ones, have little more than a small handful of people at a port city somewhere handling the importation and customer service issues (often poorly). Repairs, when they are done, are often subbed out to a third party provider or even better you get to wait for a replacement to come in from back home. Again I am not referring to Diana airguns specifically as I don't really know much about them. This has just been my experience with other import companies.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I'd go with the Benji It's made in the US. I believe Diana is made in Germany. Also for customer service, as I said earlier Crosman actually has a US based factory operation. Crosman claims thirty shots per charge on theirs, not sure about the Diana but air bladder doesn't look too big to me.

I don't know about Diana, but speaking in general a lot of import airgun companies, even well-known ones, have little more than a small handful of people at a port city somewhere handling the importation and customer service issues (often poorly). Repairs, when they are done, are often subbed out to a third party provider or even better you get to wait for a replacement to come in from back home. Again I am not referring to Diana airguns specifically as I don't really know much about them. This has just been my experience with other import companies.

In the reading i've done the Stormrider is actually Chinese made and Diana just approved the design and bought the rights.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I also posted the question to the GTA (www.gatewaytoairguns.org) forum and users there are recommending "of those two I would go for the Diana, but if you looking for a .22 I would definitely take a good look at the Gamo Urban". Anyone know anything about the Urban???

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I also posted the question to the GTA (www.gatewaytoairguns.org) forum and users there are recommending "of those two I would go for the Diana, but if you looking for a .22 I would definitely take a good look at the Gamo Urban". Anyone know anything about the Urban???

Yep the Gamo Urban is actually made in England. Gamo owns BSA. Walmart and Amazon have them for like $258 right now. They went down as low as $178 right before Christmas. You get the BSA quality barrel. Only downfall is the trigger unit. I think this is where they skimped on the pricing. They come with a pickle already on the barrel which reportedly does a decent job.

https://www.amazon.com/Gamo-600054-Urban-PCP-22/dp/B01CSRO70G

If you ever get north on 95 I'm up in Harford County. You can stop by and shoot any of my PCP's you want.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter

I have a pump single shot pellet rifle if you want to buy it. I've kept it oiled and greased for 40 years. It ain't purdy but it works like a champ. Anybody know what it is or what it's worth? pics in my next reply post ( just a minute).

Mike

MDS Supporter
    I have a pump single shot pellet rifle if you want to buy it. I've kept it oiled and greased for 40 years. It ain't purdy but it works like a champ. Anybody know what it is or what it's worth? pics in my next reply post ( just a minute).

fa2c3e78bfa9e8992df47deee285db9d.jpg
    90c844ce5bba19fb85247ff2f65ec300.jpg
    4729ddfe694b97c1f032af9a8ab1798c.jpg
    98ab3253599e98f9aac3615fc05a72b3.jpg

Mike

MDS Supporter

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Mike, I appreciate the offer but without knowing a price range i couldn't commit to anything. I'm also not sure i want to get into a project gun either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom