Ruger LCP II - Anyone Have One? Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I still like my original enough to not justify the new one. I'm sure it's better, but I almost exclusively carry my 43 now.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    One thing I noticed is that the with an empty mag and the slide back, the slide will not go forward into battery when you release it. Can anyone else confirm this?

The only way I could release the slide was to drop the empty mag.

Tried mine this morning...seemed to work fine, so I wonder who's is messed up? Maybe yours just needs some break-in?

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I wonder. Can we get a second opinion?

I have not had it to the range yet.

The LCP II is supposed to lock-back when empty. If however you use the LCP 6 round mag the gun will work, but will not lock-back.

Here is some text from the GM ad.

Note: Six-round LCP magazines are compatible with the LCP II, but will not activate the last round hold-open feature. Seven-round LCP magazines are NOT compatible with the LCP II.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    The LCP II is supposed to lock-back when empty. If however you use the LCP 6 round mag the gun will work, but will not lock-back.

Here is some text from the GM ad.

Note: Six-round LCP magazines are compatible with the LCP II, but will not activate the last round hold-open feature. Seven-round LCP magazines are NOT compatible with the LCP II.

Well aware of that, but it's not the issue at hand.

Every other one of my handguns that have a "slide hold open" on the last fired round still allow the slide to be released into battery with an empty magazine, including my Ruger SR22.

This is with the factory magazine that shipped with it. I don't have any others on hand to test with it.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Well aware of that, but it's not the issue at hand.

Every other one of my handguns that have a "slide hold open" on the last fired round still allow the slide to be released into battery with an empty magazine, including my Ruger SR22.

This is with the factory magazine that shipped with it. I don't have any others on hand to test with it.

Now I understand what you are asking. Pretty sure you should be able to release the slide lock with the mag inserted by racking the slide and pressing down on the slide lock release.

Go to the 8:25 mark in the below link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-iMA5FHhSI

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Now I understand what you are asking. Pretty sure you should be able to release the slide lock with the mag inserted by racking the slide and pressing down on the slide lock release.

Go to the 8:25 mark in the below link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-iMA5FHhSI

Yep, mine doesn't. I guess I'll have to call Ruger before I fire it.

Cabela's didn't have any factory II mags in stock. Wish they had so I'd know if the problem was the mag vs the gun.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Spoke with Ruger and it doesn't appear to be normal. The head technician was already gone for the day.

It appears to be hanging up on the mag follower. Not sure if that is because the follower/lip contour/spring is bad or if the notch on the slide that catches the follower was not milled properly.

I can get the slide to release 3 ways, dropping the mag, hitting the bottom of the mag on my palm, and (newly tested) tapping the follower with a pen to release the "loaded" slide (not a round loaded).

He said they'll call me back tomorrow morning.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Spoke with Ruger and it doesn't appear to be normal. The head technician was already gone for the day.

It appears to be hanging up on the mag follower. Not sure if that is because the follower/lip contour/spring is bad or if the notch on the slide that catches the follower was not milled properly.

I can get the slide to release 3 ways, dropping the mag, hitting the bottom of the mag on my palm, and (newly tested) tapping the follower with a pen to release the "loaded" slide (not a round loaded).

He said they'll call me back tomorrow morning.

I would try pushing down on the slide lock release and watching to see if it is actually pushing the mag follower down, or pushing down the slide lock that is being held "up" by the mag follower.
    Pushing down on the "slide lock release" should perform the same function as you pushing the follower down with a pen. Watch and see if this is happening

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I would try pushing down on the slide lock release and watching to see if it is actually pushing the mag follower down, or pushing down the slide lock that is being held "up" by the mag follower.
    Pushing down on the "slide lock release" should perform the same function as you pushing the follower down with a pen. Watch and see if this is happening

Nope, it's no where near the follower. It's about 3/16ths of an inch away.

I see what you are talking about now. The tab hanging off of part #6 (the slide lock) in the attached diagram should lower the follower from the front of the magazine.

I'm uploading pics of it to my PC now. I'll post them once I crop them up.

Attachments

• LCPiiPartsList.jpg
      LCPiiPartsList.jpg
      58.9 KB · Views: 268
    Last edited:

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Here are the pics:

The first 2 pics (1, 2) are with the slide locked back. You can see the slide release "arm" to the right and below of the firing pin hole.

The second 2 pics (3, 4) show the slide hung up on the follower.

Pic 5 shows the forward portion of the slide lock (circled in yellow) that I think BigTinBoat is referring to above. This is designed to push the follower down from the front of the mag when releasing the slide lock to allow the slide to clear the follower on its way into battery.

There is so much slop in the follower that this is a detriment to it's intended function. I'm not sure how "anti-tilt" the follower is supposed to be but there is at least 1/8" of forward tilt (see pic 7) of the follower when the slide lock is released. This in turn raises the rear of the follower which catches the slide causing it to hang when released.

Pic 6 shows where the front arm of the slide lock engages the follower when released (circled in red). You can see the rear portion of the follower is below the feed lip of the magazine.

Pic 7 can be compared to Pic 6 to visually see the amount of slop in the follower (orange box as a measure) and the resulting upward rear tilt (blue arrow) above the feed lip that interferes with proper operation.

----
    Sorry if I'm being overly detailed. I'm just going to refer the Ruger technician to this thread to see what is the issue via the pics.

Attachments

• slidelockedemptymagA.jpg
      slidelockedemptymagA.jpg
      80.6 KB · Views: 250
    • slidelockedemptymag1A.jpg
      slidelockedemptymag1A.jpg
      42.4 KB · Views: 245
    • slidereleasedhungonmagA.jpg
      slidereleasedhungonmagA.jpg
      58.3 KB · Views: 250
    • slidereleasedhungonmag1A.jpg
      slidereleasedhungonmag1A.jpg
      36.1 KB · Views: 248
    • slidelockfollowerreleaseA.jpg
      slidelockfollowerreleaseA.jpg
      36 KB · Views: 247
    • followerslidelockrelieflocation.jpg
      followerslidelockrelieflocation.jpg
      23.2 KB · Views: 246
    • followerslopandtilt.jpg
      followerslopandtilt.jpg
      23.5 KB · Views: 247

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Pic 7 can be compared to Pic 6 to visually see the amount of slop in the follower (orange box as a measure) and the resulting upward rear tilt (blue arrow) above the feed lip that interferes with proper operation.

Yes it does appear that your mag is the issue. If this were an older gun I would say it's due to the casing retainer (which is also the follower retainer) being spread just a bit too wide, or not quite bent over enough. Since the gun is new I would exchange the mag. If it were a used gun I would bend those little retaining "ears" over just a bit. This would not allow the follower to raise up as far in the rear.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Spoke with Ruger already this morning. They are shipping (USPS Priority) out a replacement mag for it today.

They are including a return label with it as well to use if necessary.

I'll update here once it comes in.

I'm pretty impressed with the customer service so far. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Spoke with Ruger already this morning. They are shipping (USPS Priority) out a replacement mag for it today.

They are including a return label with it as well to use if necessary.

I'll update here once it comes in.

I'm pretty impressed with the customer service so far. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good to hear as I'm contemplating purchasing one of these in the next 2 months

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Got the replacement magazine. It only had about half the amount of follower slop, and seems to function fine.

Now to find time to fire it.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Just submitted the (electronic) paperwork for a LCP II to MSP yesterday. I ordered a two pac of the six round mags from Buds today. I'm really hoping this gun performs better than the Taurus TCP I had. That gun was such a disappointment. Has anyone tried the new 7 round mags yet? I wonder if it is still a pocket gun with the longer mag. I guess it won't matter since very few will ever be able to legally carry in MD anyway.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Just pick it up

Sorry the pick is so large I tried to shrink it. Anyways I picked up the gun yesterday. The action felt kind of gritty until I disassembled and cleaned it. It is much smoother now. Hope to get to the range and test it soon. I have 4 different types of ammo. Hopefully it will run with at least one brand of hardball and one hollow

Attachments

• LCP II 2.jpg
      LCP II 2.jpg
      58.3 KB · Views: 99

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I read on ar15.com that there is no drop safety in this model like there was in the original LCP, which has me slightly nervous. Only thing holding me back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom