• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Question: Do you need to be a "Maryland Designated Collector" to be considered a "bona fide" collector and be able to move all or part of your collection to a private showing?

There've been some questions recently in light of the Williams case about transport, residency, etc... Several people have pointed out that being a MD designated collector will open up that exception in the transport law.

I completely agree with them that having the letter would indeed remove any question. But I don't think that it's legally necessary. All the definitions I've seen for "bona fide" talk about "in good faith", "in earnest", "without deception or fraud". Nothing says "documented", although documentation can be used to "establish your bona fides"

I think someone who has what a reasonable person would consider a "gun collection" would be considered a bona fide collector. I'm just looking for an academic discussion of the MD law. I'm not planning to be a test case, or trying to talk anyone out of becoming a designated collector.

What do you guys think?

This is the part I'm talking about:
    4-203
    (b) This section does not prohibit:
    (5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector’s gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    If you do not have the official status then it would be up to your lawyer to convince a judge of your Bona Fides and if you do manage to win your case good luck getting your custom engraved collection returned.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    No official documentation required. Bona fide means that you are a collector and not acting with deception. I believe that this would be something that would evaluated using the "reasonable man" standard.

The gang member with an AK-47 and a Glock-40, probably not a collector.

Your average joe with a bunch of classic 1911's, probably a "bona fide collector".

Obviously evidence such as people knowing about your collecting activities, a C&R license, or an application to the state as a designated collector makes reaching that standard much easier. Even the gang member with a collectors designation from the state would likely meet that standard since they applied to the state to be designated as such unless intent to deceive could be shown.

Mark

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    And remember, as a Designated Collector, you're always welcome to stop by my home, 24/7/365, and offer me a private exhibition or display of your firearm(s). No advance notice needed.

You have it in writing with a time stamp now.

I'm going to return the favor, and offer an open invitation to anyone on my friends list to stop by anytime 24/7/365 to show me all or any part of their collection. This is your written invitation, just feel free to stop by if you are in the neighborhood, I'm always happy to spend a few minutes with friends and check out their collection.

(just send me a PM when you are in the general area, I live in central Maryland, Fort Meade, Laurel area; most of you know this already, either way, if I miss you this trip, no worries maybe next time)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom