Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:48 AM #1
DrewQ1 DrewQ1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 15
DrewQ1 DrewQ1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 15
New Build...14.5 with Pinned/Welded Compensator or AR Pistol

I am debating on what I want for my 2nd build. I was set on building an Ar Pistol with a 10.5 barrel and adding a SBA3 Brace to it or KAK Shockwave but then I cam across threads of people taking a 14/14.5 barrel and pinning/welding a compensator or muzzle break. From what I read as long as the barrel is 16in or overall is 26in then it wont be considered a SBR with a collapsible stock and I now see Faxon has a pinned barrel if I choose not to do it myself or a smith do it.
Has anyone built both of these or have both and what do you think or feel about it. Should I just stick with an at pistol or build the 14.5 pinned rifle.

Also I have seen to articles saying the brace can be shouldered by BAFTE but then supposedly a recent search of a thread revising the original open letter saying it cant. Is there any clarity on it this?

Thanks for any info
DrewQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 12:26 PM #2
Ranchero50's Avatar
Ranchero50 Ranchero50 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 4,431
Ranchero50 Ranchero50 is online now
Senior Member
Ranchero50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 4,431
The problem with a carbine receiver is it needs a heavy barrel to be legal. I build a pistol with a 16" government profile barrel cut down to 10.5 and it feels much more ergonomic than my 16" heavy barrel carbine.
__________________
MAGA: Less Noise, More Music
Ranchero50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 12:49 PM #3
DrewQ1 DrewQ1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 15
DrewQ1 DrewQ1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 15
I thought if you build a Ar Pistol you don't need it to be an HBAR. Are there any 10.5in HBARs out there?
DrewQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 12:50 PM #4
jrumann59's Avatar
jrumann59 jrumann59 is offline
DILLIGAF
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,336
jrumann59 jrumann59 is offline
DILLIGAF
jrumann59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewQ1 View Post
I am debating on what I want for my 2nd build. I was set on building an Ar Pistol with a 10.5 barrel and adding a SBA3 Brace to it or KAK Shockwave but then I cam across threads of people taking a 14/14.5 barrel and pinning/welding a compensator or muzzle break. From what I read as long as the barrel is 16in or overall is 26in then it wont be considered a SBR with a collapsible stock and I now see Faxon has a pinned barrel if I choose not to do it myself or a smith do it.
Has anyone built both of these or have both and what do you think or feel about it. Should I just stick with an at pistol or build the 14.5 pinned rifle.

Also I have seen to articles saying the brace can be shouldered by BAFTE but then supposedly a recent search of a thread revising the original open letter saying it cant. Is there any clarity on it this?

Thanks for any info
IIRC the braces can be shouldered but inadvertently. So they put out ambiguous letter so people would not in essence make a full time SBR with a brace.
jrumann59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 02:35 PM #5
Glock4arms's Avatar
Glock4arms Glock4arms is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 32
Glock4arms Glock4arms is offline
Junior Member
Glock4arms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 32
So does an AR-15 pistol with a 10" barrel still need to be a HBAR?
Glock4arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 02:43 PM #6
Caeb75's Avatar
Caeb75 Caeb75 is offline
Full fledged member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 1,009
Caeb75 Caeb75 is offline
Full fledged member
Caeb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock4arms View Post
So does an AR-15 pistol with a 10" barrel still need to be a HBAR?
No. FSA 2013 applies to rifles.
Caeb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 05:29 PM #7
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,649
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeb75 View Post
No. FSA 2013 applies to rifles.
Correct. But since it applies, the rifle has to be at least 29” overall length for Maryland. That includes SBRs.

A 14.5” pinned to >16” is going to be over 29” though.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 01:43 AM #8
Caeb75's Avatar
Caeb75 Caeb75 is offline
Full fledged member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 1,009
Caeb75 Caeb75 is offline
Full fledged member
Caeb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Correct. But since it applies, the rifle has to be at least 29” overall length for Maryland. That includes SBRs.

A 14.5” pinned to >16” is going to be over 29” though.
The man asked about a pistol with a 10 inch barrel and I answered the question. In your scenario, a rifle with a 14.5"barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider would need to be a heavy barrel because it is a rifle.
Caeb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:21 AM #9
Hawkeye's Avatar
Hawkeye Hawkeye is offline
The Leatherstocking
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,454
Hawkeye Hawkeye is offline
The Leatherstocking
Hawkeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewQ1 View Post
From what I read as long as the barrel is 16in or overall is 26in then it wont be considered a SBR with a collapsible stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewQ1 View Post
I thought if you build a Ar Pistol you don't need it to be an HBAR. Are there any 10.5in HBARs out there?
Forgive me if I misinterpret what you are saying here, but from these two statements it sounds like you might not have a clear understanding of the legal definitions of "pistol" and "rifle" when it comes to ARs, and you need to be very careful, because this is something that if you do it wrong will cost you a lot of money, prison time, and your 2A rights for the rest of your life.

In short: if you put a stock on an AR, then it is a rifle, period. It doesn't matter the length of the barrel or the OAL of the whole thing. Stock = Rifle.

If you have a stock and a barrel that is shorter than 16", then you have an SBR. This is why people do the 14.5" barrels with a pinned compensator, because that brings the length of the barrel up to over 16" so it's no longer an SBR at that point. If you do this in MD, you will need a heavy barrel.

If you build a pistol, you do not need a heavy barrel, but you can not put a stock on it.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 08:55 AM #10
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,649
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeb75 View Post
The man asked about a pistol with a 10 inch barrel and I answered the question. In your scenario, a rifle with a 14.5"barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider would need to be a heavy barrel because it is a rifle.
I know, but he had earlier mentioned 26” OAL, which is the minimum length for an SBR per ATF. However in FSA2013 Maryland has a strict limit of 29” for OAL for all centerfire rifles. SBRs and regular rifles both.

Though if you built an SBR, tax stamped first and the whole 9-yards, you don’t need a heavy barrel. MD has a very odd set of laws where a short barrel rifle is treated as a handgun...EXCEPT the overall length limitations.

That also means for transportation and such forth MD considers an SBR (or SBS) as a handgun.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2018, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service