Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 16th, 2018, 11:48 AM #1

New Build...14.5 with Pinned/Welded Compensator or AR Pistol

I am debating on what I want for my 2nd build. I was set on building an Ar Pistol with a 10.5 barrel and adding a SBA3 Brace to it or KAK Shockwave but then I cam across threads of people taking a 14/14.5 barrel and pinning/welding a compensator or muzzle break. From what I read as long as the barrel is 16in or overall is 26in then it wont be considered a SBR with a collapsible stock and I now see Faxon has a pinned barrel if I choose not to do it myself or a smith do it.
Has anyone built both of these or have both and what do you think or feel about it. Should I just stick with an at pistol or build the 14.5 pinned rifle.

Also I have seen to articles saying the brace can be shouldered by BAFTE but then supposedly a recent search of a thread revising the original open letter saying it cant. Is there any clarity on it this?

Thanks for any info
DrewQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 12:26 PM #2

The problem with a carbine receiver is it needs a heavy barrel to be legal. I build a pistol with a 16" government profile barrel cut down to 10.5 and it feels much more ergonomic than my 16" heavy barrel carbine.
Old May 16th, 2018, 12:49 PM #3

I thought if you build a Ar Pistol you don't need it to be an HBAR. Are there any 10.5in HBARs out there?
DrewQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 12:50 PM #4
DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewQ1 View Post
I am debating on what I want for my 2nd build. I was set on building an Ar Pistol with a 10.5 barrel and adding a SBA3 Brace to it or KAK Shockwave but then I cam across threads of people taking a 14/14.5 barrel and pinning/welding a compensator or muzzle break. From what I read as long as the barrel is 16in or overall is 26in then it wont be considered a SBR with a collapsible stock and I now see Faxon has a pinned barrel if I choose not to do it myself or a smith do it.
Has anyone built both of these or have both and what do you think or feel about it. Should I just stick with an at pistol or build the 14.5 pinned rifle.

Also I have seen to articles saying the brace can be shouldered by BAFTE but then supposedly a recent search of a thread revising the original open letter saying it cant. Is there any clarity on it this?

Thanks for any info
IIRC the braces can be shouldered but inadvertently. So they put out ambiguous letter so people would not in essence make a full time SBR with a brace.
jrumann59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 02:35 PM #5

So does an AR-15 pistol with a 10" barrel still need to be a HBAR?
Glock4arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 02:43 PM #6
Full fledged member

Full fledged member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock4arms View Post
So does an AR-15 pistol with a 10" barrel still need to be a HBAR?
No. FSA 2013 applies to rifles.
Caeb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 05:29 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeb75 View Post
No. FSA 2013 applies to rifles.
Correct. But since it applies, the rifle has to be at least 29” overall length for Maryland. That includes SBRs.

A 14.5” pinned to >16” is going to be over 29” though.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 01:43 AM #8
Full fledged member

Full fledged member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Correct. But since it applies, the rifle has to be at least 29” overall length for Maryland. That includes SBRs.

A 14.5” pinned to >16” is going to be over 29” though.
The man asked about a pistol with a 10 inch barrel and I answered the question. In your scenario, a rifle with a 14.5"barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider would need to be a heavy barrel because it is a rifle.
Caeb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:21 AM #9
The Leatherstocking

The Leatherstocking

Quote:
From what I read as long as the barrel is 16in or overall is 26in then it wont be considered a SBR with a collapsible stock
Quote:
I thought if you build a Ar Pistol you don't need it to be an HBAR. Are there any 10.5in HBARs out there?
Forgive me if I misinterpret what you are saying here, but from these two statements it sounds like you might not have a clear understanding of the legal definitions of "pistol" and "rifle" when it comes to ARs, and you need to be very careful, because this is something that if you do it wrong will cost you a lot of money, prison time, and your 2A rights for the rest of your life.

In short: if you put a stock on an AR, then it is a rifle, period. It doesn't matter the length of the barrel or the OAL of the whole thing. Stock = Rifle.

If you have a stock and a barrel that is shorter than 16", then you have an SBR. This is why people do the 14.5" barrels with a pinned compensator, because that brings the length of the barrel up to over 16" so it's no longer an SBR at that point. If you do this in MD, you will need a heavy barrel.

If you build a pistol, you do not need a heavy barrel, but you can not put a stock on it.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 08:55 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeb75 View Post
The man asked about a pistol with a 10 inch barrel and I answered the question. In your scenario, a rifle with a 14.5"barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider would need to be a heavy barrel because it is a rifle.
I know, but he had earlier mentioned 26” OAL, which is the minimum length for an SBR per ATF. However in FSA2013 Maryland has a strict limit of 29” for OAL for all centerfire rifles. SBRs and regular rifles both.

Though if you built an SBR, tax stamped first and the whole 9-yards, you don’t need a heavy barrel. MD has a very odd set of laws where a short barrel rifle is treated as a handgun...EXCEPT the overall length limitations.

That also means for transportation and such forth MD considers an SBR (or SBS) as a handgun.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles