• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    Anyone shoots 6.5 grendel? I would like to build a ~1000 yard platform on my AR. Something i have always wanted to do.

I was told 6.5 grendel is the way to go, its affordable, lots of options.

So i'm trying to figure out if i should go with a 20" or 24" barrel?

Does anyone recommend a certain website to buy AR parts without breaking the bank? A lot of the one's that pop up on google are usually sold out...

Any brand i should 'stay away'?

Thank you, feel free to post your AR 6.5 builds here... id love to take a peak :party29:

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Anyone shoots 6.5 grendel? I would like to build a ~1000 yard platform on my AR. Something i have always wanted to do.

I was told 6.5 grendel is the way to go, its affordable, lots of options.

So i'm trying to figure out if i should go with a 20" or 24" barrel?

Does anyone recommend a certain website to buy AR parts without breaking the bank? A lot of the one's that pop up on google are usually sold out...

Any brand i should 'stay away'?

Thank you, feel free to post your AR 6.5 builds here... id love to take a peak :party29:
    Odin works.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    I built a 6.5 Grendel that I took to Ed Shell's long range class a couple years ago and hit every target out to 1200 yards. It wasn't cheap to build. It has a 24'' Bartlein barrel that I got from Precision Firearms.

img_0581.jpg

Last edited:

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I like 6.5 Grendel because of its hunting potential, surprisingly good performance out of 12"-18" barrels (though for 1000 yard performance my understanding is that one would probably want a 24" barrel), and cheap plinking ammo from Wolf. I'll probably build out an upper or two for it soon. That said, if all the OP is looking for is 1000+ yard target capability out of a small frame AR, .224 Valkyrie would also be a good option. I don't think the cartridge has the versatility of 6.5 Grendel and for that reason it doesn't really tickle my fancy, but it seems to shine for the OPs specific stated purpose.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    I have a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser action it is a good shooting round&gun and does not have a horrible recoil one would expect from a full size cartridge, but not sure if I would be able to hit anything at 1000 yards accurately. I think the 6.5 Grendel is supposed to be an intermediate cartridge, so if you can build a platform that gets you out to 1000 yard range it will be a cool gun to have!! Based on the post from 94hokie, 1000 seems doable!) Even if you don't succeed you'll have fun testing it. You would probably have a better chance at making your goal if you go for the 24" barrel.
    GOOD LUCK!!

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I have a question that sorta relates to the OP, figured it makes sense for this thread.

If the goal is to reach out to 1k consistently out of an AR pattern gas gun, and Grendel forces the build to employ a long-ish 24" barrel, would it be easier to just go bigger with an AR-10 pattern and use something like 6.5 Creedmoor with a shorter barrel, 20"? What's the weight/awkwardness tradeoff of a longer barrel vs shorter receiver?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have a question that sorta relates to the OP, figured it makes sense for this thread.

If the goal is to reach out to 1k consistently out of an AR pattern gas gun, and Grendel forces the build to employ a long-ish 24" barrel, would it be easier to just go bigger with an AR-10 pattern and use something like 6.5 Creedmoor with a shorter barrel, 20"? What's the weight/awkwardness tradeoff of a longer barrel vs shorter receiver?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Barrel length matters...20" 6.5CM probably won't be fast enough. Example, my 20" 308 puts a 175gr @ 2,600fps.

There is a guy on this board with a 6.5CM getting 2780fps with the 150gr smk, 30" tube running them hot.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Looked around for some published velocity numbers . Using the Hornaday 123 A Max factory load as a known quanity , actual vels from 20in AR were within 40fps of factory advertised velocity from 24in test bbl , confirming my thoughts.

So choose the bbl length you prefer for balance and handling .

And just throwing out there , for same bbl dia and contour , the shorter bbl will inherently be stiffer .

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yes - I have had excellent results with an Odin works 18" heavy barrel. I would recommend a 20" barrel if you want to shoot longer range. The target below is 5 shots at 100 yards.

Attachments

• DSC_0021_01.jpg
      DSC_0021_01.jpg
      35.2 KB · Views: 236
    • DSC_0045.jpg
      DSC_0045.jpg
      92.9 KB · Views: 249

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    My opinion; if you want a 24" barrel, get a bolt action. That's just me.

Exactly! I just don't get the point of a gas gun that's so awkward and heavy, although to each their own I guess.

So the verdict is that 6.5G will reach out to 1k and get consistent hits with a 20" bbl?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    Thank you for the info everyone! The reason i asked for 20 vs 24 is because there seems to be a lot of people saying 20 is more than enough for 1k yard, while 24 only gets you slightly more velocity, less precision and a lot more $$$/weight/ackwardness.

I have looked at .224 but there doesn't seem to be that many options, and the one's available seems overpriced (new round/etc).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I like 6.5 Grendel because of its hunting potential, surprisingly good performance out of 12"-18" barrels (though for 1000 yard performance my understanding is that one would probably want a 24" barrel), and cheap plinking ammo from Wolf. I'll probably build out an upper or two for it soon. That said, if all the OP is looking for is 1000+ yard target capability out of a small frame AR, .224 Valkyrie would also be a good option. I don't think the cartridge has the versatility of 6.5 Grendel and for that reason it doesn't really tickle my fancy, but it seems to shine for the OPs specific stated purpose.

6.5 Grendel is more versatile. It’s a great hunting round, .224V really just isn’t a medium game round. 6.5 Grendel generally has lower wind drift for the better 6.5G vs the better .224V.

.224V has a bit lower bullet drop, but in both case the wind drift and drop differences are fairly minor.

.224V can be a little cheaper, though there is Wolf steel 6.5 Grendel. I need to shoot the latest batch I bought, but my first batch ended up with 6” 100yds groups, while all brass stuff I’ve tried has been in the ~1MOA 5 shot group range (or less).

Hornady American gunner 127gr HPBT 6.5 Grendel is exclusive to Sportman’s Warehouse and is $129.99 a can of 200 with free shipping...

Just FYI if you shoot 6.5 Grendel and don’t reload.

If your plan is 1000yds, longest barrel you can find. I forget where it goes subsonic, but I think 20” will just stretch past 1000yds with the better 6.5G bullets under most atmospheric conditions. 24” will do it just fine and should even hit 1200yds with the right bullet so long as you don’t hang out at sea level on a muggy day.

I built an 18” one as I sourced the parts for the upper for $250 total and wanted an AR-15 deer rifle as well as something that could stretch out a bit more than 5.56 at the range if I do end up with a medium/long distance range time (like 600-800yds)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thank you for the info everyone! The reason i asked for 20 vs 24 is because there seems to be a lot of people saying 20 is more than enough for 1k yard, while 24 only gets you slightly more velocity, less precision and a lot more $$$/weight/ackwardness.

I have looked at .224 but there doesn't seem to be that many options, and the one's available seems overpriced (new round/etc).

What is “not a lot”?, no, no, yes, yes. In that order.

24” is going to net you 80-100fps more than 20”. That ain’t for nothing when you are talking 1000yd shooting. A 24” barrel is not inherently less accurate than a 20”. Price isn’t that much different, though 24” barrels are harder to find. Here is a reasonably priced one https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....e-ii-straight-flutes-4150-steel-black-nitride

Yes, weight is higher. Figure about 8oz more out there on the end for weight and awkwardness. But if it is a bench gun, not really a big deal. And that’ll take recoil more as well as less muzzle blast. If my goal was a long range bench gun I’d go 24” for sure.

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    What is “not a lot”?, no, no, yes, yes. In that order.

24” is going to net you 80-100fps more than 20”. That ain’t for nothing when you are talking 1000yd shooting. A 24” barrel is not inherently less accurate than a 20”. Price isn’t that much different, though 24” barrels are harder to find. Here is a reasonably priced one https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....e-ii-straight-flutes-4150-steel-black-nitride

Yes, weight is higher. Figure about 8oz more out there on the end for weight and awkwardness. But if it is a bench gun, not really a big deal. And that’ll take recoil more as well as less muzzle blast. If my goal was a long range bench gun I’d go 24” for sure.

Hmnnn not bad the price! Thanks!

I say not much because a lot of people in other forums/posts were saying 100fps isn't much compared to how less accurate a 24" is to a 20". Of course i can't actually know what is true/untrue/etc... :)

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I built a 6.5 Grendel 20” Black Hole Weaponry 1 x 8 twist it run 130 gr RDFs at 2,505 FPS. only shot it to 200 but it will shoot 1;2 to 3/4 moa. At sea level 70 degrees ballistics show supersonic to 1,200 yds. Who needs a 224 Val

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom