Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:45 PM #21
This IS my Happy Face

This IS my Happy Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
I am envious of the alternative power mode, that is sweet! and... I'd add a sail, I'm a sailor at heart... lol
Well, you might want to think about that. I've sailed most of my life, and the performance of the Hobie sailing rig on this kayak is disappointing. It doesn't point, and a close/beam reach is about the best you can hope for. It won't beat for shucks. Downwind it's great, and you can fold up the flippers for more speed. You'll need at least 10-15 knots of wind to make it move, and a very skilled hand on the sheet to keep from capsizing. As long as you don't expect much, it can be good fun.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:18 PM #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
I gave my last boat to my nice about six years ago and started kayak fishing due to my bad back. I love it and fish the same spots that I did in my boat. Severn river, Love point, BB, TPL etc. I have a Ocean Kayak Trident 13, modified some but a great kayak. There are better, but none that weigh 66 pounds in my price range. I moded mine by putting a trolling motor on the rudder post so when the wind and tide turn the wrong way, I can still get home.

Sit on top is the only way to go for our kind of fishing. I paddled sit ins for some years for recreation and, unless you are hunting whales with a spear, they don't do too well with a rod and reel.

Come on over to www.snaggedline.com, the Maryland fishing kayak site. It truly is lots of fun.
Thanks for the link to the forum. I'll join it tonight. And a good friend of mine said he much prefers sit on tops, he fishes the same areas I do so that says a good bit.
DJones2987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:49 PM #23
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

Maybe it's just me but I get a very different fishing experience when I fish from my kayak. There's something about being down almost in the water with the fish that makes you feel a little like you're in their world. Plus getting pulled around by a fish is a ton of fun.
I lurk over at snaggedline. Good intel there from the pocket protector crowd. I doubt I would've taken my kayak out in the bay without reading snaggedline.

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:51 PM #24

Most people who fish from kayaks mod their vessel in some way. Some mods are for comfort, some for more storage, some for alternative power. Hobies are probably the most versatile but, at their weight, I couldn't get an empty one in my pick up bed. The ones sold by Bass Pro and are good starter models for small money. People who fish lakes, ponds and small rivers may even stay with them.

I know you are in HGR but, if you ever get to Bass Pro, go to the fly fishing area and ask for (I think) Tom. He is a snagged liner and is extremely knowledgeable about yaks.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:55 PM #25

"Pocket protector crowd". That's a good one. I'm going to get some real belly laughs out of that one at the next meet and greet, if I can make it.

There are some rocket scientists in the gang but mostly they are just American Fisherman. The most dedicated species on the planet.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

Proud Patriot Picket
Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:56 PM #26

To everyone reading this, make sure you don't get a Walmart one!
Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:02 AM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
Most people who fish from kayaks mod their vessel in some way. Some mods are for comfort, some for more storage, some for alternative power. Hobies are probably the most versatile but, at their weight, I couldn't get an empty one in my pick up bed. The ones sold by Bass Pro and are good starter models for small money. People who fish lakes, ponds and small rivers may even stay with them.

I know you are in HGR but, if you ever get to Bass Pro, go to the fly fishing area and ask for (I think) Tom. He is a snagged liner and is extremely knowledgeable about yaks.
Which bass pro? Arundel Mills I'm assuming? That's not a far trip, though I prefer the Harrisburg store better.
DJones2987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:35 AM #28

Arundel Mills. I agree that the Harrisburg store is a better one but the kayak guy doesn't work there.

(credit to a USAF pilot)

Proud Patriot Picket
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:40 AM #29
Navy & VT Grad Dad

Navy & VT Grad Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
To everyone reading this, make sure you don't get a Walmart one!
Why?
lowoncash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 07:21 AM #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowoncash View Post
Why?

The Walmart fishing kayak is not stable.
It easily tips over. It is my only "fishing kayak" and it's no good for fishing for an adult. I use it only for kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports