• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ouhuzo

Mar 2, 2013
    I thought that a ccw in Maryland was only for concealed carry ?
    In Maryland you cannot carry open OR concealed a regulated sidearm IAW § 4-203(a)(1)(i) unless you have permit (see post #6 this thread). After Oct 1 you'll need a license to even BUY. And remember the 4th Circus has made the entire state one big "senitive place" in its Woollard decision.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    Are you sure that the text you quoted is not superseded somewhere else? Because I've been told several times by several law enforcement officers, as well as a Sheriff, that it's TECHNICALLY legal to open carry in MD, but IN PRACTICE completely unacceptable and the police have orders to jail you any way they can if you do.

Then again, I guess police aren't infallible.

Still, kind of weird so many people that are supposed to know being wrong about this.

It has been established by the States At Gen that the State does not distinguish between the two. Carry means open or concealed. It was part of the testimony given in the last Wollard court hearings.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    They are an off duty officer. My friends used to work there when we went to college and they always had LEOs working there. Usually just hung out up front and bs'd with the cashiers. Sometimes they would even help customers find what they were looking for.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    He is well within his rights to Open Carry, might even be legal. People here especially have to stop doing the Brady's work for them, ignorance and battered gun owner syndrome are both pathetic and rampant. Most states allow open carry, many without a permit at all, there are a handful of exceptions, but OCers aren't targeted first, in most cases the criminal doesn't notice till they are facing an armed "victim", those that do pick an easier target. With even a basic fitted retension holster it is difficult for anyone to take a weapon, and most criminals would rather run than start a gunfight. Sure police do sometimes mess with us, but as more people carry, more are aware of their rights, and more PDs are embarassed by knowlwdgeable citizens with cameras, PD vs Citizen incidents are becoming rarer and rarer. Come up here ad try it out, you will be suprised at what a big deal it isn't.

TigerWoody

Master Baiter
    Oct 23, 2011
    Baltimore
    So if i have a maryland carry permit, can I open carry outside my residence and/or business that i own? Not that i would, but me a coworker were having a debate.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Answer #1 - Unless addressed in your Restrictions, the W&C Permit does not distinguish between openly or concealed . So if otherwise within the scope of your Permit , you make carry openly .

Answer #2 - If complaints are made , potentially face an Administrative Revocation for " causing unnecessary alarm to the public " .

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Answer #1 - Unless addressed in your Restrictions, the W&C Permit does not distinguish between openly or concealed . So if otherwise within the scope of your Permit , you make carry openly .

Answer #2 - If complaints are made , potentially face an Administrative Revocation for " causing unnecessary alarm to the public " .

I was there (now I sound like a mix between Brian Williams and that Hogg kid) when a certain SoMd trainer who may or may not live in VA and who may or may not engage in some fairly in your face advertising for his business got his restrictions lifted by the HPRB and a Lt for the MSP followed him out into the hall and asked him not to OC because the MSP would have to respond to the calls and it would take officers away from answering other legitimate calls for service.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    While others have pointed out the possibility of the OP being a troll, I encourage everyone to take a lesson away from this thread. One of the biggest problems in our country today, is the number of people who feel obligated to stick their noses up everyones asses for no reason. Mind your own friggin business and we'll all be alot better off.

^^^ WORD!

shmuel2004

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 1, 2016
    Pikesville, MD

HPRB has no administrative power to revoke a permit.

MSP has power to revoke if:

A. The Secretary may revoke a permit on a finding that the permit holder:

(1) No longer satisfies the qualifications set forth in Public Safety Article, §5-306, Annotated Code of Maryland; or

(2) Failed to carry the permit in the holder's possession whenever the holder carried, wore, or transported a handgun.

Code Md. Regs. 29.03.02.13

So, no, they cant revoke your permit for open carry, unless you get convicted of a disqualifying crime.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So, no, they cant revoke your permit for open carry, unless you get convicted of a disqualifying crime.

The concern, I suppose, is that a person (legally) carrying open may become the subject of an acute snowflake-storm which summons the police, and someone manages to turn "the police had to be called" into charges not much different than assault for "brandishing from the hip." And that's what renders the person permit-less. Not the carrying, but the surrounding freak-out and response, handled less than gracefully by multiple parties.

I can think of very few occasions where OC in a place like MD (at least in the burbs) would be anything other than a deliberate bit of provocation or showboating on my part. Don't need the drama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom