• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    What say you, MDShooters forum goers? Both seem to be held in high regard and pretty much loved, though I suppose the ruger will be a little bit cheaper on the street and has the advantage of being able to easily change stocks and triggers etcera vs. the galil. However, the galil is growing on me, even in appearance, and the similarity to an AK manual of arms is a plus. What would be your go to for a md legal "battle rifle"?

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Many years ago a friend had a 7.62 Galil. It was nice to shoot, HOWEVER, when ejecting the brass it put a rather large/long dent in the brass. Not sure how that would affect reloading, just throwing that out so you'll know. Of course, it may just have been this one particular rifle that did that, since I only ever shot that one Galil ( I stuck to my M14).

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Can say from experience that the SR762 has run through approx 3000+ rounds for me at this point and I have had zero problems with it...

Was more accurate than I expected as well...has been consistent 3/4 MOA with my 150gr handloads and 1- 1/2 MOA with Lake City 149gr XM80C

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have 2 of the original Galil 7.62 rifles. The AR and the ARM. Nicest shooting rifles!! Haven't shot the modern day version yet . So not sure how it stacks up against them. A buddy of mine has a SR762. He has had some accuracy issues. Not sure why ? I have heard good things about them other than his.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I have 2 of the original Galil 7.62 rifles. The AR and the ARM. Nicest shooting rifles!! Haven't shot the modern day version yet . So not sure how it stacks up against them. A buddy of mine has a SR762. He has had some accuracy issues. Not sure why ? I have heard good things about them other than his.

Could be ammo related...I tried some PPU XM80 style FMJ and my SR762 did not like it all....was shooting 2-4 MOA with it...maybe better luck with different ammo

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    My Galil was lost in a horrible tragic boating accident. Before that, I could bang steel at 200 yds 2000 times without even cleaning it any target I could see with a scope I could hit. What else do you really need in this type of rifle? I think this debate is summed up as "why have one when you can have two at twice the the price." IWI rifles are tine and battle tested, but you wont go wrong with a piston or DI 308 either, and Ruger makes fine firearms.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I believe any 308 pattern AR would be good to go in MD. I am a fan of AERO. Check out Schuyler arms co for deals on M5E1 stuff. Armalite is underrated at this point. Ruger, ehhh, ehhh, so many other options.

So, yeah, I am echoing build your own.

Last edited:

Sirex