• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    How would you prepare a deer backstrap ion a grill, in the field? I'm talking about cutting it out right after field dressing.
    Thanks

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Not sure if I would do it in foil. I've never done my venison tenderloins like that. Though at home, I butterfly them, wipe them with olive oil and season them (pepper, rosemary and a little garlic salt) and then flash grill them...

My buddy does it and can grill it perfect every time. Me, I wait until I get home and put it in the sous vide for the better part of a day. Almost guaranteed perfect.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Now that I got a sous vide every steak has been done in that. Perfect every time. I actually have very little concern spending too much on dry aged ribeye because they turn out so perfect. I'd rather spend $25 on a dry aged ribeye steak SMS sousvide it at home then get a shitty steak for twice the price at a restaurant. My wife gobbled up venison backstraps thinking it was beef. She heard no idea, and loved it. She eats plenty venison but complains it's not as good as beef.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Now that I got a sous vide every steak has been done in that. Perfect every time. I actually have very little concern spending too much on dry aged ribeye because they turn out so perfect. I'd rather spend $25 on a dry shed ribeye steak SMS sousvide it at home then get a shitty steak for yeahi've the price at a restaurant. My wife gobbled up venison backstraps thinking it was beef. She heard no idea, and loved it. She eats plenty venison but complains it's not as good as beef.

My wife would only eat ground venison in something like spaghetti or mixed with beef in burgers. The sous vide made a deer eater out of her and my mother.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Not sure I would eat one right out of the deer. I won't eat any cuts but the tenderloins for at least 5 days. Right out of the field you're risking tough meat from rigor mortis. Doesn't matter if it's a young deer or not, rigor mortis will cause meat to be tough.

sig guy

Feb 4, 2013
    Edgemere MD
    Not sure I would eat one right out of the deer. I won't eat any cuts but the tenderloins for at least 5 days. Right out of the field you're risking tough meat from rigor mortis. Doesn't matter if it's a young deer or not, rigor mortis will cause meat to be tough.

Agreed,even if you freeze the meat right after it is harvested you still need to let the meat sit after thawing out for a day or so to get rid of the rigor mortis.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Light coat of olive oil, salt, pepper, and maybe a dash of garlic powder (we are ruffing it, after all), cut into 2" thick medalions and grill medium rare. Best filet mignon you'll ever eat!

Be sure to remove all silver skin.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I marinate mine whole for an hour or so in olive oil, a little balsamic, a little Worcestershire, a little dijon mustard, salt, pepper, chili powder, cayenne, smoked paprika, dried onion, garlic. Grill it on high to char then lower and cook to 125-130 internal temp. Let rest for 10 mins then slice thin on angle. Heat and drizzle left over marinade over sliced loin. Melts in your mouth!

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

Agreed,even if you freeze the meat right after it is harvested you still need to let the meat sit after thawing out for a day or so to get rid of the rigor mortis.

I've eaten the tenderloins after several hours of it being alive. They're perfect in texture and eatability.

Again, simply flash grilled. Absolutely :drool:

I understand that they are not the backstrap though....

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Marinate it right out of the deer in Italian dressing for a week. Grill it like steak. No gamey taste and you can cut it with a butter knife.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Throw it in a bag of balsamic vinegarette and Montreal steak seasoning. Then cook to medium rare on grill.

Edit; i see minitac beat me to it but with way more ingredients lol

gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    Sorry, I meant tenderloins not backstraps.

My vision is to tailgate after we come out of the woods, hopefully dragging something. Trying to start a tradition with my two boys.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Just skin it cut it and throw them right on the grill. Use low heat cook slowly and pull a piece off before you have both the hams boned out. Your not going to the Mardi -Gras and dont damage the loins cutting along the spine when you cut the back straps out or when separating the internals.
    With two boys one day you'll have more than one on the ground at the same time and you can save some for the dining room experiments! Dig around in the truck and find some of those McDonald's or Burger King salt and pepper packs that may be a little coffee stained but perfect for the task.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom