• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Shot a Colt Delta 10 mm last weekend and it got me thinking that I need one. Ruger 1911 looks nice. What’s your favorite 10 mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    This is a sincere question and not a criticism. What is the driving factor behind getting a 10mm? If you hunt and you want a sidearm to use against bear, I get it. If you just want to have fun, I get that too (I have a Chiappa Rhino 60DS just ‘cuz). If you’re getting it for defense, I’m not sure that I see the value because even though it has a ton of stopping power, that power comes at the price of delaying your ability to make a follow-up shot. When you’re already in a degraded position for marksmanship (late at night, tired, surprised, nervous, and shaky) IMO, the kick of a 10mm will actually diminish your effectiveness unless you are fortunate enough to hit on the first shot.

Of course, the bottom line is you be you, so if you go for it, enjoy.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If you get a Glock 20, you can also get a G21 upper half and have the best of all worlds.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    1911's are nice but heavy. Depends what you are going to use it for. I've got my eyes on either the Glock or Springfield XDM. I've shot my friends Glock and I like it. Haven't shot the Springfield but have handled it. I've been shooting the 10mm since it came out. I handload for it also. Good luck and get one!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Depends what you are using it for. Ruger, Kimber, and Dan Wesson (CZ) make some nice 10mm. I have shot or own some of them, cant go wrong with any of these.

But EAA Tangfolio Witness is the best 10mm, IMO. Comes in either full size steel to suck up the recoil, or you could go with polymer, and the trigger on all the models is nice (better than Glock). But these are also double stack so you get 14+1 compared to the 1911 type. There are is a 6" model "Witness Hunter" for hunting and competition models with upgraded triggers and magwells. The Witness series is basically a beefed up CZ, only one better (10mm).

http://eaacorp.com/guns/handguns?pid=1:tanfoglio&search=&order=i.created&dir=desc&cm=0#tlb

I may own some of these as well. Truth is, I like em all!

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’m biased towards Glocks I have a 20C and 21C. With a Kriss Vector magazine extension you could have a nice 30rd 10mm handgun.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Love the caliber, it has a large power range. Lighter loads from my G20 are pleasant to shoot, less recoil and boom than a g22 in 40s&w due to the larger frame and lower pressure/greater case volume. Full power loads are still manageable and far more powerful than 45. In my 610 revolver, I can run cheap 40, or beyond full power 10 loaded to a longer OAL. 45super offers much of what 10 does in power, but doesn't need a barrel to fire less powerful 45ACP ammo where 10 may need a 40 barrel to fire the cheaper caliber. It's fun in 1911 pattern pistols too, but some lack case support, and aren't great for hot loads. Between the small rim and large primer 10mm cases get beat up with hot loads, so if you plan to reload, make sure you have plenty of brass.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I currently have six, and have owned four others in the past. Of the current stable, the best shooting one is the SA TRP Operator. The XDM10 is pretty handy, especially after the trigger upgrade. The Dan Wesson Silverback is a nice shooter, but no longer in production.

My next 10 is the CMMG Banshee. I can't CCW it, but it's apparently capable of hitting 300 yard targets.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Well, if we are going there, what I really covet is an Mp5/10. Atlantic Firearms from time to time sells clones or hybrids like the Gideon Shadow. Or for the uber ambitious with $$$ HK Parts sells the genuine German parts kits. Unlike building an AR, trying to build an HK Mp5/10 from parts requires actual skills.

Otherwise, CMMG Banshee is definitely on my wish list.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have a Glock 29, Glock 20C, EAA Witness, Colt Delta Elite, and a couple more 10mms that I can't think of right now. As far as trigger feel I love the Delta Elite. As far as overall ergonomics, I prefer the EAA Witness. The G29 is punishing with heavy loads and the G20C is very easy to run 100+ rounds through in a range session (but the grip feels huge).

If you want a 10mm, try as many as you can and decide which feels best to you. For the price and the feel of the gun the EAA is a great deal.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have contemplated a Sig P220 in 10mm. Anyone have any experience with one?

Nice pistol, comfortable and accurate, but quite a bit of muzzle flip with hot loads, I shot a stainless target model. I really like the caliber in a GLOCK or Witness/CZ75 pattern pistol with their high grip placement, tames the recoil really well.

Glock G20. I have used it with the 6 inch barrel to hunt deer with the proper ammo it is one of the only semi-autos that meet the legal requirements for deer hunting with a handgun in Maryland. Yep, the barrel sticks out of the frame quite a bit...still shoots fine...With the standard barrel it's accurate..deadly accurate Similar to this:

https://rockeguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/P1560300.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The strongest, most durable with heavy loads is Glock .

For easy controlable defense, etc , " wimpy" 10mm loads are duplocating standard .40S&W . ( Actually this is backwards, as the .40S&W was invented specifically to duplicate the already existing FBI spec 10mm load .)
    But regardless of the chicken & egg relationship in the general public's perception , mild 10mm loads are perfectly suitable for all around use, including SD .

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I know the OP wants a 10mm pistol but don't overlook some of the 10mm wheelguns like the Ruger GP100 Match Champion.

I'm not a big 10mm fan but that gun could change my mindset PDQ.

Of course, you could never go wrong with a S&W 610 either

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have several Colt Deltas and they're all awesome pistols. I also have a Glock 29 which I haven't the chance to shoot yet and a Ruger Super Blackhawk 10mm/.40 convertible...and awesome revolver. Shoot the 10mm and you'll like it.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Hmmm... So many options! I am thinking of several handguns now, not sure if I can limit it to just 10 mm now. Maybe a CZ or an old Luger...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I built an 80%. 6” barrel with a Lone Wolf long slide.

Attachments

• 90F7293B-B795-423E-BB40-5A4F525B3AFC.jpg
      90F7293B-B795-423E-BB40-5A4F525B3AFC.jpg
      79.4 KB · Views: 516

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads