• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I really wish I knew about their class action buyback before it expired. Now I'm stuck with paying $80 to fix their glass that's delaminating even though they admitted it's defective and they knew about it. A decent optic company would have repaired that for free in my opinion. I think I'm switching to another ootic after this.

rant over

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Sell it at a discount?

I am sure someone else would either deal with the glass delaminating or pay for the repair.

Which model, btw? I have an old 512 that is still going strong

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Well that makes me feel even better that I dumped the two I had during the recall. Sorry you missed out and are having these issues now OP. I thought it was universally known about the buy back they did. I liked my Eotechs but what good is a product without a company that stands behind it? Hope you resolve your issue one way or another.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    The three I had were garbage and I wasn't shy about saying that during the recall .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    To be clear, L3 admitted that they had a thermal drift problem, not a glass delamination issue.

In the OP's situation, pay to have the glass fixed - it's going to be cheaper than any other options, and you'd be lucky to get $200 for an older 512 with glass delamination in progress. Even ones in good shape usually only go for $250-$275, and the new ones are often dirt cheap when they go on sale. (Nevermind that the Holosun HS510C is also getting a lot of good reviews!)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Compare this to vortex. I bought an old red/green strikefire when they first came out. About a decade later, it started flickering and intermittently turning off. I sent the old one in without mounts or anything else. They sent back a brand new red/green strikefire still in the shrink-wrapped box, with mounts, literature, and everything. Now THAT is a friggin warranty.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    To be clear, L3 admitted that they had a thermal drift problem, not a glass delamination issue.

In the OP's situation, pay to have the glass fixed - it's going to be cheaper than any other options, and you'd be lucky to get $200 for an older 512 with glass delamination in progress. Even ones in good shape usually only go for $250-$275, and the new ones are often dirt cheap when they go on sale. (Nevermind that the Holosun HS510C is also getting a lot of good reviews!)

Yeah... Thermal shift problem. I never heard anything about glass delamination. I actually had a problem with one of my EoTechs and they took good care of me. I got a like new sight back in the mail. I have several Eotechs and they are great sights.

The three I had were garbage and I wasn't shy about saying that during the recall .

You know I see posts like this and I have to wonder what in the Hell people are talking about when they write crap like this. EoTechs are garbage? I run a MG club. I see tons of high end guns. These guns have blown up plenty of garbage sights. I mean I have literally seen more than a half dozen just stop working under Full Auto firing. I have seen many more fail to hold zero. There are plenty of crappy sights out there and only of the few brands I would never toss into the "garbage" grouping and EoTech is one of them. They are an approved US Military supplier. Ok they have one issue none of the people in MD will EVER have which they did not tell the Government. However they give fair better than average performance. IMHO their 65 MOA circle dot is far superior reticle to most others out there for any kind of Full Auto fire. They survive much more abuse and drops compared to most other optics out there.

While I might like Holosun too, most other optics lack the sight hood and if you really get a hard hit on them... don't expect them to survive. If you are looking for a non-magnified sight that does not have to go on top of a pistol, its hard to think of optics that out perform the EoTech. We can argue battery life, rare issues...etc. but seriously, if you were about to walk into a short term close quarters battle... what optics would you rather have? Holosun is great but is it going to hold without a sight hood. ACOGs are great but often have to much magnification. There are many others but I am probably picking an EoTech.

Now if you have a Neutered M16 (AR15) and all you need it for is punching paper shooting off a bench at 100 yards... then yeah there are better options.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    While I might like Holosun too, most other optics lack the sight hood and if you really get a hard hit on them...
    The HS510C has a titanium hood. It's fairly tough. It would be a tough call between that and the Eotech... the problem with the Eotechs is that battery life is so-so, whereas the Holosuns last practically forever (and in the solar-powered cases, they really will work without a battery as long as you have some decent ambient light).

Now if you have a Neutered M16 (AR15) and all you need it for is punching paper shooting off a bench at 100 yards... then yeah there are better options.
    Reflex sights ain't gonna do the same things that LPVOs will.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    The HS510C has a titanium hood. It's fairly tough. It would be a tough call between that and the Eotech... the problem with the Eotechs is that battery life is so-so, whereas the Holosuns last practically forever (and in the solar-powered cases, they really will work without a battery as long as you have some decent ambient light).

Reflex sights ain't gonna do the same things that LPVOs will.

Yeah I do have to say Holosun has been really impressing me. First to me, anything without a 65 MOA dot circle is a generation behind the time and not as good. I really love the 65 MOA circle when everything is bouncing around. I was looking at the new Titanium reflex sight for putting on a M17... and they look better than anything else out there. I might have to go that way.

You are correct on that model. I was talking about there other more common versions more so... I still think they are great sights but having a sight hood like the Eotechs or HS510C is really going to help in certain cases. I run a Holosun on my M11 but I don't expect to get the durability of an EoTech out of it. That said I am willing to trade that to reduce the bulk of an EoTech in this condition:

attachment.php

I hear the issue on the EoTech's Battery life. I think many of these are not the AA versions. Some of the others do run out pretty quick. I drop in Camera Grade high end AAs in my EoTechs and they last a long time. Holosun might have a real advantage here but for most of time, its not a huge issue. The battery life should be long enough for most cases and there are so many ways to carry extra batteries on guns today...

I have to assume a lot of people buy EoTechs and then try to use them for target shooting at longer ranges, something that they are just not set up to do. Then they say they are junk with is just BS because they bought the wrong sight for the job. ACOGs are great scopes but if you need 12X, don't buy the 3X version and expect it to do the job! I think many fall into this with EoTechs. I consider EoTechs a short range optic. 100 yards or less, and I think their ideal range is about 50 yards if you are moving or for FA fire.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Thanks for posting about the Holosun HS510C. I 've been looking for another Reflex sight after sending my EOtech 512 back for the class action refund...

..I had sort of (for varying interest) put off getting another one, until reading this thread. :thumbsup:

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    The HS 510c are really nice! I’ve got 4 of them, in red and green dot. Best bang for your buck, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There are some guys who have started running the 510s on Open-class pistols instead of C-Mores, which I found a particularly interesting development. Another Eotech-esque option is the Vortex UH1 AMG, which is not terribly expensive on sale (~$350, IIRC). It's a bit of a beast of an optic in terms of size/weight, but it's got a terrific reputation and an excellent warranty.

That said, I have no beef with Eotech; my SU-231 has performed quite nicely on my PCC. Just feels like they're resting on their laurels a bit, and the competition has caught up and then some.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

I'll probably keep it and repair. It's probably not going to be on my primary though. It's heavy and I had been planning on selling it to fund something lighter. That's the real kicker. I guess it will go on my beater rifle, or I'll just keep it on a QD mount for when I want to take my scope off and do close quarters shooting.

In the document they mention many other issues. Their reply to me recently actually said that all optics have thermal drift. They essentially denied that it was an issue, but said the updated glass shouldn't delaminate at least.

So they really told you to pay for the repair at this point, and won't honor the settlement or fix it? Nice customer service (not).

To be fair, the settlement is expired. Everyone in the settlement got a full MSRP refund though. I was hoping just to get my glass fixed.

Compare this to vortex. I bought an old red/green strikefire when they first came out. About a decade later, it started flickering and intermittently turning off. I sent the old one in without mounts or anything else. They sent back a brand new red/green strikefire still in the shrink-wrapped box, with mounts, literature, and everything. Now THAT is a friggin warranty.

That's the thing. I don't want to seem entitled thinking they should just do my broken gear for free forever. But since many optic companies do just that, I was hoping they could fix something they knew was defective for quite some time

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    To be fair, the settlement is expired. Everyone in the settlement got a full MSRP refund though. I was hoping just to get my glass fixed.

That's the thing. I don't want to seem entitled thinking they should just do my broken gear for free forever. But since many optic companies do just that, I was hoping they could fix something they knew was defective for quite some time

I am confused... so you asked them to fix it, or not? Seems like they ought to fix it. I dont think delamination is a normal wear and tear thing.

When I pay a bazillion dollars for a scope, optic, or something else and it comes with a lifetime warranty, I am paying for a lifetime warranty so I dont feel bad about asking for a repair. If I want something that does not, I will buy a chinese knock-off from amazon for $49.

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have an OLD EOtech 552 that has seen combat and now peacefully resides on my AR. I have never once had any trouble with the sight or the thermal drift. I had a problem that was entirely my fault when the AA batteries leaked because I left them in too long. I contacted EOtech customer service and they sent me a new battery cover and contacts free of charge. I learned my lesson and only use lithium AAs in it now. I have fired many thousands of rounds through MGs with EOtechs and never encountered an issue with the sights. I do agree that they should be willing to fix the problem for you but the settlement wasn't about delamination of the glass.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Yeah... Thermal shift problem. I never heard anything about glass delamination. I actually had a problem with one of my EoTechs and they took good care of me. I got a like new sight back in the mail. I have several Eotechs and they are great sights.

You know I see posts like this and I have to wonder what in the Hell people are talking about when they write crap like this. EoTechs are garbage? I run a MG club. I see tons of high end guns. These guns have blown up plenty of garbage sights. I mean I have literally seen more than a half dozen just stop working under Full Auto firing. I have seen many more fail to hold zero. There are plenty of crappy sights out there and one of the few brands I would ever toss into the "garbage" grouping and EoTech is one of them. They are an approved US Military supplier. Ok they have one issue none of the people in MD will EVER have which they did not tell the Government. However they give fair better than average performance. IMHO their 65 MOA circle dot is far superior reticle to most others out there for any kind of Full Auto fire. They survive much more abuse and drops compared to most other optics out there.

While I might like Holosun too, most other optics lack the sight hood and if you really get a hard hit on them... don't expect them to survive. If you are looking for a non-magnified sight that does not have to go on top of a pistol, its hard to think of optics that out perform the EoTech. We can argue battery life, rare issues...etc. but seriously, if you were about to walk into a short term close quarters battle... what optics would you rather have? Holosun is great but is it going to hold without a sight hood. ACOGs are great but often have to much magnification. There are many others but I am probably picking an EoTech.

We agree then. ;)

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I am confused... so you asked them to fix it, or not? Seems like they ought to fix it. I dont think delamination is a normal wear and tear thing.

When I pay a bazillion dollars for a scope, optic, or something else and it comes with a lifetime warranty, I am paying for a lifetime warranty so I dont feel bad about asking for a repair. If I want something that does not, I will buy a chinese knock-off from amazon for $49.

Yeah. Eotech doesnt have a lifetime warranty. After 5 years they charge for repair. Normally I wouldn't mind paying if it was my fault, but since it's a known defect now, it makes me angry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom