• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Open Carry vs Concealed Carry

• Total voters

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I don't understand the idea of open carry if you're not military or some type of law enforcement. In the military, presenting a weapon is a statement of "do not approach further" or a demonstration of potential force. In my day to day life, I really don't feel the need for that. My weapon is there if, and only if, a situation of equal or greater firepower presents itself, or if life/limb is at stake. Visibly displaying a firearm is a statement that I really don't feel the need to make.

I don't think of it as making a statement. I think of it being almost 90 degrees here and I want to be comfortable.

Additionally, your first sentence makes it seem as if you are for a "restricted" Second Amendment.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Threeband said:
    I want the option, although I think I would rarely exercise it.

I definately want to be able to carry OWB with just a light jacket, and be able to take the jacket off when I get in my car. Or re-tuck in my shirt, while wearing my Kholster tuckable IWB. Or reach for the yogurt on the top shelf, way in back at the grocery store. I don't want to get proned out in the public library, when I bend to check a book on a low shelf, and the butt of my M&Pc prints, causing a soccer mom to call in a frantic MWAG.

Open Carriers in Pennsylvania have forced the retraining of LEOs and 911 dispatchers in how to handle those Man With A Gun (MWAG) calls. In the past, you could expect to get proned out, handcuffed, and spend an hour in the back of a police car for an accidental exposure. That's much less likely to happen in PA and Virginia nowadays, but I believe in Texas you can still be arrested for printing (hope I'm wrong).

This!

You want both, so you don't have to deal with BS like printing or accidental exposure! Then you get to carry any which way you like. :)

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    Try sitting in a parking lot or 7 Eleven in front of an ATM with a considerable amount of cash still in it, (won't say how much, but you can Google it), that you're about to swing the door open on.

I would rather someone in the vicinity running the "what if..." scenarios through their head, see the 1911 on my hip and say "Screw that!".
    :)

I think you missed the point of my post.

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    I don't think of it as making a statement. I think of it being almost 90 degrees here and I want to be comfortable.

Additionally, your first sentence makes it seem as if you are for a "restricted" Second Amendment.

And your statement suggests you've never been military. You KNOW what displaying a weapon means in the military. I think that using that kind of suggestion in Target or Wal Mart is idiotic. I actually find it offensive when I'm standing next to people open carrying when my kids are around. My kids can field strip a 1911 in a few minutes and they're taught that the presence of a weapon is for a reason and ONLY for a reason and when those reasons aren't present the firearm stays away. Sorry that I'm not insecure enough to need to walk around with something extra visible.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think the option is best. I carry a Glock 23 OWB under a jacket or sport coat in the cooler months. Much more comfortable. Never been spotted. Summer....LCP either IWB, pocket, or wallet holster depending on wardrobe. If legal, I would probably open carry around town for comfort.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    And your statement suggests you've never been military. You KNOW what displaying a weapon means in the military. I think that using that kind of suggestion in Target or Wal Mart is idiotic. I actually find it offensive when I'm standing next to people open carrying when my kids are around. My kids can field strip a 1911 in a few minutes and they're taught that the presence of a weapon is for a reason and ONLY for a reason and when those reasons aren't present the firearm stays away. Sorry that I'm not insecure enough to need to walk around with something extra visible.

Thank goodness a constitutional right, trumps your irrational fear! You post as if the gun is going to jump out of the holster and bite you.

And yes, I was in the Military ;)

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC

You are being unnecessarily antagonistic. You do not know me, nor do you know my background. Please get to know me before calling me idiotic. I am not attacking you, and I would appreciate if you not attack me.

I am not insecure in any way. Please do not assume that I am. Thank you.

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    You are being unnecessarily antagonistic. You do not know me, nor do you know my background. Please get to know me before calling me idiotic. I am not attacking you, and I would appreciate if you not attack me.

I am not insecure in any way. Please do not assume that I am. Thank you.

Wasn't calling you idiotic - I was calling the need to open carry in a grocery store idiotic. Concealed carry is for a purpose, open carry is trying to make a point. I don't believe that we need to make that point in a civilized society. My opinion.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Wasn't calling you idiotic - I was calling the need to open carry in a grocery store idiotic. Concealed carry is for a purpose, open carry is trying to make a point. I don't believe that we need to make that point. My opinion.

Fair enough. We'll shake hands on that one. Differing opinions are just that. Differing.

I don't think either of us is looking for a fight....especially on the internet. :D

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    Wasn't calling you idiotic - I was calling the need to open carry in a grocery store idiotic. Concealed carry is for a purpose, open carry is trying to make a point. I don't believe that we need to make that point in a civilized society. My opinion.

And let me follow up - I have open
    carried in many situations. I open carry when I'm far away from any back up. When I'm in a city however, I respect the rights of others. Many in towns/cities don't like guns. I'm not going to push my beliefs on them if I can simply keep it under cover and out of sight. It's simple and polite. You and I like guns, I want those rights. Others don't. If you don't put the gun in their face, chances are you can keep your rights.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    And let me follow up - I have opened carried in many situations. I open carry when I'm far away from any back up. When I'm in a city however, I respect the rights of others. Many in towns/cities don't like guns. I'm not going to push my beliefs on them if I can simply keep it under cover and out of sight. It's simple and polite.

I live in a place where OC is commonplace. Perhaps that alters my perception as well.

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    I live in a place where OC is commonplace. Perhaps that alters my perception as well.

I'm active duty. I'm around weapons all day. I think nothing of it. But I do realize that when I go out shopping, the woman with her kid behind me might not find my weapons so amusing. It's called living in a society. Everyone compromises and we all get along. I don't want the left taking my guns away, but then I'm required not to push my guns in their faces. If you want to keep your rights, don't make your rights an issue for others if you can help it. It's not hard to put a shirt over my .45.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    Battered gun owners syndrome is evident in this thread. Oc is not a statement, its more comfortable by a long shot. Faster draw, oh and people will avoid you. The only problem I would have oc is worrying about someone trying to draw my gun to see if they could, but I firmly believe most will avoid close contact if you oc. Cc has its place, if given the option I will definitely OC, but I will cc more...

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Concealed carry is for a purpose, open carry is trying to make a point.

I think that statement right there says you may not understand what the Second Amendment says. You are on the side of the fearful public. Open carry should be no scarier than a martial arts master walking around without his hands in his pockets.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    People's brains need to be retrained. The presence of a firearm does not mean violence or threat. The presence of a firearm can create a peaceful and safe environment. I'm not trying to make a statement. I just want to have the means to defend myself and my family.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    People's brains need to be retrained. The presence of a firearm does not mean violence or threat. The presence of a firearm can create a peaceful and safe environment. I'm not trying to make a statement. I just want to have the means to defend myself and my family.

This.

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    With out reading any other posts, I'll just give my thoughts. I chose concealed because of 2 reasons. First, no matter how things change, there will Always be some one who is freaked out by the sight of a gun and could cause a scene for lack of a Better Term.
    Second, I'd rather not give any one looking to do harm the Upper Hand by knowing where my Primary Defensive Tool is Located.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom